It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 02:00 PM   #1

aestud3 HB User
New member here...need help!

Okay I'll try to describe what all is going on with me. Here it goes. Sorry it's so long.

Before this past February I was always an active, energetic person who loved life and I always was very positive and upbeat. I was active in sports and just loved working out and staying in shape. In January, I noticed that when I came home from school I would immediately lay on my couch and sleepl...something I never did before. I then went to the doctor and after a blood test I was diagnosed with Mono. I had a really bad case of Mono, my glands swelled up so bad one day that I had to go to the emergency room because I became so dehydrated and couldn't swallow any fluids.

After missing a week of school I returned, and thought I was going to be back to normal in no-time. That leads me to where I'm at today, 9 months later! Ever since I received mono I have had no energy, and I can't do nearly anything that I used to be able to. Basically I plan my day around how much energy I have.

I started college here at Michigan in September, and the fatigue really is killing me. I get so tired sometimes that it's hard for me to study and concentrate on school work. It's really causing me a lot of anxiety and emotional problems. The main thing that I've been so frusterated with is a lack of diagnosis. I haven't been labeled as having "chronic fatigue syndrome" but there's no way mono is still causing me to feel tired is there?

I also think now that I'm at college I am depressed. I'm constantly down, and I cry a lot. Especially when I think back to how I was before I contracted mono, and how I used to be so physically fit and active. My parents seem to think that I have depression and thats why I'm tired, but I'm not down all the time so I don't know if it's depression. I am so hard on myself now, I just don't know what to do, nothing is going good in my life anymore. I try explaining to people that the tiredness is "different" from just being normally tired. I can feel it inside of me that something is different when I get really tired.

Wow. I just realized I rambled on about the same thing. Basically I'm just so frusterated...I'm only 19...I should be healthy and happy here at college, but I'm miserable. I know that fatigue and depression are linked, so I think I may go to a counselor and see if I do have depression. The future just looks so bleak right now, and it shouldn't because I have everything in the world to look forward to, but it's hard when I have no energy.

I guess I just want to know if I have depression or CF, or both. The doctors aren't providing much help. I JUST WANT TO BE HEALTHY!!!

Last edited by aestud3; 10-09-2005 at 02:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
(female)

ukiahvalleymom HB User
Re: New member here...need help!

aestud3,
You propose an interesting question, years ago when Mono was diagnosed the treatment was bed rest and good wholesome foods. I remember being out of school for months. Have you been under the care of a physician and have you asked how long it takes to recover from Mono? You may have pushed yourself to early in the recovery or you may have CFIDS, if you have health insurance try calling your provider and see a doctor who has been to medical school in the mid 90's or later. Everyone who has during that time have had training the symptoms and initial treatment of FMS and CFIDS, makes it better for possible correct diagnose.

The fatigue you feel is it like overwhelming as if your running on empty? That is they way mine has felt in the past, I'm feeling much better these days.

Good luck!
uvm

Old 10-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #3

aestud3 HB User

The fatigue I feel varies by day, and also by time of day. Some days I think I'm back to normal and I get really happy and feel like life is good again. But then the next day I'll feel exhausted and get really down again. So I guess you could say that it comes and goes, and at some points of the day I have high energy and at some points I have very low energy. When I have low energy everything seems to overwhelm me and I worry about the stupidest stuff. I also believe I may have depression now that school has started and I'm away from home for the first time. I'm heading to a couselor on Thursday, and I'm going in with the attitude that maybe anti-depressents will help. After all, depression runs in my family and if I am depressed it may be hindering my return to "full" energy.

Old 10-11-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
(female)

ukiahvalleymom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestud3
The fatigue I feel varies by day, and also by time of day. Some days I think I'm back to normal and I get really happy and feel like life is good again. But then the next day I'll feel exhausted and get really down again. So I guess you could say that it comes and goes, and at some points of the day I have high energy and at some points I have very low energy. When I have low energy everything seems to overwhelm me and I worry about the stupidest stuff. I also believe I may have depression now that school has started and I'm away from home for the first time. I'm heading to a couselor on Thursday, and I'm going in with the attitude that maybe anti-depressents will help. After all, depression runs in my family and if I am depressed it may be hindering my return to "full" energy.
aestud3,
I think what your doing is right on, tho, please get back in for a recheck with a physician, too. If it is the symptoms of mono, there are things you can do to help feel better or if its Chronic Fatigue there is treatment for that as well.

By the way how are your eating habits? It's really important to fuel your body for the task at hand. The brain takes up the most energy...and needs to be fed through out the day. uvm
p.s. Healthy foods that produce energy, enough of a mom speech, you probably get that from home

Old 10-30-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
(male)

tanuki HB User

aestud3,

Well it's Sunday, how did the apt with the counselor go?

Anti D's are a good drug if you really need them, but don't take them lightly. If they work for you, use them, but monitor them closely. If after a decent period of time you still feel basically the same, they probably aren't working and you should probably look for a Dr. that would look at other possibilities.

You're right, 19 is a great age and you have a whole life to look forward to. So don't give up and decide that you are just going to have to 'deal with it.' There are things that work, it just may take some determination on your part to get your Dr.'s to find what works for YOU.

Good Luck
--
Tanuki

Old 11-03-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
(female)

MandyPandy HB User

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way hun. I have fibromyalgia which is close to CFS so I TOTALLY understand what you are feeling with wanting to be normal and not knowing what happened.
There are so many things that could be the problem. Have you had a complete physical with your primary doctor. Do you take a multi vitamin? Have you had your blood drawn. Fatigue can be caused by so many things like anemia, B12 deficiencies (which can also cause depression, muscle aches and much more), sleep disorders such as sleep apnea etc. Do you exercise? Are you sleeping well? Have you tried antidepressants to see if they help?
I know you feel down and are having issues dealing with this and it is hard being so young and not having the options of others possibly but if you do not have a doctor that you can work with please find one. One thing I have learned with my condition is that I have to be my #1 advocate. I cannot just take what the doctors say, I go prepared and ask lots of questions and demand answers or I find another doctor. Also make sure you are taking care of the basics such as eating right, doing things that make you happy (hobbies, support groups, church etc.), allowing yourself down time and having a regular routine. Good luck hun...hope you figure out what is wrong with you.

hugs,
Amanda

Old 11-03-2005, 10:59 PM   #7
(female)

sosher HB User
Lightbulb Re: New member here...need help!

I just read your post about being very young and afflicted with Mono. I understand the fatigue you discribe and how this recent illness has effected your life. I have a few views, I think you should consider.

Check in with your doctor and make sure you doctor understands your problems currently. If for some reason you doctor doesn't have answers and is not currenlty doing lab work, blood test and looking for some other possible reasons for your recent symtoms. if the above is not being done
"Get another Doctor" keep copies of medical records. ( ask for these copies) they will come in helpful if you go to a new doctor on what has been done as far as blood tests and other lab work. Don't give up. until you get answers.

Depression is a chemical imbalance in your body. its common to hear some say "I a little depressed today" or "feeling blue" which really doesn't give you the right information on deppression There are different types of depression
Situational, reguarding your current problems ie an death of a family member or a friend. some time taking medication for a short period of time will clear things up. Depression can come up anytime in your life. but you need to see a doctor decribe your feelings and symtoms if you are recommended to try medication it can take 4 weeks for the medicine to work so don't be to quick to judge a medication unsucessful. Sometimes you have to try several different medications before you find one that will work for you. Side affects form these type of drugs can be hard to deal with. dry month, feeling buzzing, hand shaking, low or no sex drive. so you will need to keep track how a medication is working.
Find someone to talk to about your problems, your life, your goal, everything. seek conseling it usually not to hard to find a clinic to provide care for a sliding scale charge. if you have insurance this should not be to hard to find help.

Think about what currantly going on in your life. relationship difficulties, moving, Going away to college, problems with parents or friends ect....
Most young people don't realize stress is ever in there lives. I now that I didn't think I had any stress. I just did understand what stress was. Yes everyone has stress even if they done think they do.
I took a class in college on stress and found out a few thing most people should understand.
Stress is a single emotional event. I call them see's
a See can be everywhere. They make us who we are,
I know you think I am a little nuts but bear with here for a minute.
a see.(single emotional event) is what happen after we experience any of the following and more. Moving, a break up, losing a frendship, having an illness, having trama happen to our body. sprain, strain broken bones, traffic accident minor or major. fighting with parents or friends. ect. All of these events trigger an emotion and thought process and help us evolve in to who we are. we can have a See anytime and the See can and does cause a tempory stress. and stress can accumlate if you don't deal with a See or the stress after any one event. as you can understand from the above we all have stress. we just need to make sure we deal with it as it arises. Don't sweep them under the rug. ie deal with them later. that just accumlates a very larger bump under the rug. and one day it can explode in to illness dis-ease emotional problems, depression, anxiety. and so on. I hope this kinda makes sence. Just think about it ok.

A little on myself I have have cdifs and fibromylgia for 13 years. I started expericing problem symtoms you decribed. I started having trouble during my 5 mile run every morning, I got a headache that didn't seem to go away.I was just aways so tired. I went to my doctor he was well trusted. but was a pill pusher like most doctors can be. I suffered for months until I pasted out in the doctors office. then my doctor had to do something. I was hospitalized with a serious kidney infection and was close to kidney failure. I was in the hospital 2 1/2 weeks and went home for 12 hours and was back in the ER for an allergic reaction to one of my medications and a accumlative overdose of compazine a anti-nausea drug. My doctor didn't warn me of the possibilties of having a distonic reaction to compazine which is very common. Horrorable pain full but treatable. I just didn't seem to get better after the infection. I got worse over days weeks months. then was diagnosed with cfids having 19 of 21 symtoms. I went on to becoming permantly disabled and live my life in chronic pain numerious symtoms, fibromylgia and heart problems.
Most belive that cfids and fibromylgia is a virus picked up during a serious illness or trama and or during hospitalization, when our immune systom is weakened. But the good part is I am alive. I live a semi-normal life. You can survive with cfids and many other medical problems too

I hope some my information is helpful.

Sosher

Closed Thread