It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2005, 07:33 PM   #1

texasgal123170 HB User
Question provigil? for CFS?

I have suffered from extreme fatigue/sleepiness for years. It comes in waves through out the day. Anyone heard of provigil helping with CFS? Its so bad i have been written up for falling asleep at my desk at work. I cannot stay awake. I have endured all the other s/s like leg pain, flu-like symptoms etc... but the sleepiness is totally ruining my life. I sleep at night with the help of Lorazepam and have been able to sleep what i consider good..only waking up a few times...anyone had any luck with cns stimulants for extreme fatigue and sleepiness?

Old 10-18-2005, 11:21 AM   #2
(female)

Winnieie HB User
Re: provigil? for CFS?

HI texasgal, I tried provigiland it actually put me to sleep, but i wasnt having trouble with 'sleepyness', just massive muscle fatigue, which has improved much. Pamela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
(female)

ecrew HB User

I took Provigil for extreme fatigue and it worked great! The only problem was it conflicted with the Wellbutrin I was on and caused be to get headaches behind my eyes. I switched to Ritalin which works good too except it is long-acting. I have to take it 2-3 times a day.

I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea. I use a CPAP machine at night and I take 1.5mg of Lorazpam. I sleep very well which is why i'm taking the Ritalin because i'm still extremely sleepy during the day.

Hope that answers your question.

Old 10-30-2005, 08:24 AM   #4
(male)

tanuki HB User

Hi texasgal,

I also took Provigil for about 8 months with tremendous success. I stopped taking it because it quit being covered by my medical insurance. But I have been trying to get back on it ever since.

I don't know about anyone else, but things like caffeine don't help me at all. I could drink a triple espresso and take a nap! But the Provigil worked to not only keep me alert, but to help sharpen my mental clarity and boost my short term memory, which I have a lot of trouble with these days.

If you are able to try Provigil I would recommend it. Everything acts differently with different people, but it's worth the try!

--
Tanuki

Old 10-30-2005, 10:03 AM   #5

texasgal123170 HB User
Wink Re: provigil? for CFS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanuki
Hi texasgal,

I also took Provigil for about 8 months with tremendous success. I stopped taking it because it quit being covered by my medical insurance. But I have been trying to get back on it ever since.

I don't know about anyone else, but things like caffeine don't help me at all. I could drink a triple espresso and take a nap! But the Provigil worked to not only keep me alert, but to help sharpen my mental clarity and boost my short term memory, which I have a lot of trouble with these days.

If you are able to try Provigil I would recommend it. Everything acts differently with different people, but it's worth the try!

--
Tanuki
Thank you for your response, I have since my post been put on it and I love it. I dont feel as though i'm medicated at all, all i feel is awake...when i'm suppose to be awake. I'm able to do my job better, and I'm getting more done in a day then before. I only take 100mg instead of the 200mg prescribed, because thats all i require... Doc says if all i need is 100mg, then thats even better. I cant believe the difference it has made...i cant believe i didnt learn about this before.. i have suffered along time. Again thanks for your response.

Old 10-30-2005, 08:13 PM   #6
(male)

tanuki HB User

I'm so glad it is working for you!

I took only 100mg every day, and took the other half of the tablet if I needed it mid day. I miss it tremendously! And I'm supposed to be starting a retraining program soon. It'll be tough without the alertness that the provigil provides. Like you I never felt jittery or druged! it seemed like a dream come true.

Hope all continues to go well.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #7
(female)

renee46 HB User

i also take provigil...

my prescription is almost out though...i need to go to the dr. and get some refills. I like it, but I find that if I take it every day for a week or so I build up a tolerance to it and it's worthless. Now I only take it two or three times a week when I need it. It is a godsend.....

Old 11-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

woozyguy HB User

Hello,

I live in the UK where GPs do not help people with CFS except for giving them sleep remedies like amytriptiline and pain killers or antidepressants ( a lot still do not believe it exists here). So asking for provigil would probably make my docs eyes roll and his eyebrows raise. What is it exactly? And what does it do? Does it help neurological CFS symptoms or only fatigue? Do you wake up feeling ok or still fatigued? I am currently having fatigue problems again and weird balance symptoms in my head but I think I have been helped by taking T3 (tertroxin). I would appreciate feedback about provigil though and why it is such a godsend
martin

Old 11-21-2005, 08:23 AM   #9
(female)

renee46 HB User

It does not help neurological symptoms...only fatigue. It really doesn't make the CFS go away, it just helps you get through the day basically. Whenever you are tired, there is a hormone called GABA that gets sent from your brain. Provigil basically blocks your brain from recognizing the hormone (something like that...look it up; i'm no doctor!)

the good thing about this is, it does not make you jittery and spaced out at all (besides the first day) and you can go to sleep pretty easily at night.

I don't take it every day; I only take it when I go though one of my episodes where I'm exhausted. It dosen't take away the CFS, but it has helped me until I figure out what's causing it.

Closed Thread