It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
(female)

DomNakita HB User
Unhappy Anyone taking L-Tryptophan or 5-HTP that gets massive head aches in the morning?

Hey,

Is anyone taking L-Tryptophan or 5-HTP that gets acute head aches in the morning from it? I've only been taking the L-Tryp for 2 days, but the head aches are awful! They haven't reached migraine status yet, but they feel as if I am having one come on. I get nauseous and sensitive to light and sound, and a little vertigo to if I get up and walk. I'm having to use Excedrine and ice and a neck massaging pillow in the morning just to be able to get up and go about the day. Is this something that anyone else has experienced before? Is it something that will go away when I get used to the supplement? or is it something that is likely to get worse?

I mean this is a naturally occurring amino acid, right? Why would I be having such a horrible reaction to it.

I bought both the 5-HTP and the L-Tryp at the same time because I got a big discount, and figured I could try one and then if it didn't work very well, try the other. But I don't want to stop taking the Tryp if the symptoms are going to get better... then I would have to just start the cycle all over again with the 5-HTP and wait for those effects to get better.

I know that I'm not the only one to ever experience a head ache with the L-Tryp, because my partner tried a single dose to see if it would help with his sleep, and he got a head ache within an hour after taking it.

So what's going on??? I'd read so much on these boards about the two products, but didn't see this as a side effect in any of the threads that were posted.

Can anyone relate? and give me some hope for this still working?
--
DomNakita

Last edited by DomNakita; 11-05-2005 at 09:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
(female)

ukiahvalleymom HB User
Re: Anyone taking L-Tryptophan or 5-HTP that gets massive head aches in the morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomNakita
Hey,

Is anyone taking L-Tryptophan or 5-HTP that gets acute head aches in the morning from it? I've only been taking the L-Tryp for 2 days, but the head aches are awful! They haven't reached migraine status yet, but they feel as if I am having one come on. I get nauseous and sensitive to light and sound, and a little vertigo to if I get up and walk. I'm having to use Excedrine and ice and a neck massaging pillow in the morning just to be able to get up and go about the day. Is this something that anyone else has experienced before? Is it something that will go away when I get used to the supplement? or is it something that is likely to get worse?

I mean this is a naturally occurring amino acid, right? Why would I be having such a horrible reaction to it.

I bought both the 5-HTP and the L-Tryp at the same time because I got a big discount, and figured I could try one and then if it didn't work very well, try the other. But I don't want to stop taking the Tryp if the symptoms are going to get better... then I would have to just start the cycle all over again with the 5-HTP and wait for those effects to get better.

I know that I'm not the only one to ever experience a head ache with the L-Tryp, because my partner tried a single dose to see if it would help with his sleep, and he got a head ache within an hour after taking it.

So what's going on??? I'd read so much on these boards about the two products, but didn't see this as a side effect in any of the threads that were posted.

Can anyone relate? and give me some hope for this still working?
--
DomNakita
Hi, I take 5HTP along with trazadone at bedtime and have had no problem with it, and have slept the best over the last 6 months since I've been ill. It sounds like it must be way too strong. Hope someone that has used L-Tryp alone may shed their experience.

Are you under a doctors' care for CFS and on other meds, supplements and or herbs?

Sure hope you find the answers soon, we get enough headaches with this without having ones from our meds. uvm

Closed Thread