It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

otgirl HB User
Could SSRI and BC Pill make it worse?

I have CFS. I am on Celexa and a birth control pill. Could these two medications actually be contributing to my fatigue? Any suggestions?

Old 11-09-2005, 07:46 AM   #2
(female)

kiya HB User
Re: Could SSRI and BC Pill make it worse?

I wouldn't rule out the possibility. The BC pill I was taking actually caused my problems with fatigue, cold intolerance etc. that are still troubling me even after coming off the pill last December.

The pill can suppress the immune system mainly due to the progesterone part of the pill. High levels of progesterone are only naturally be present during pregnancy. It is thought that the continual high progesterone levels brought about by taking the pill cause immune suppression, hormone disturbances and nutritional deficiencies.

As for antidepressants, when prescribed for CFS, these should be those which can be taken at night so that the sufferer has a better night's sleep and feels less exhausted during the day. Often, however, with SSRIs like Celexa or Prozac, there are side-effects of insomnia and nervousness that can obviously worsen the fatigue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #3
(female)

ukiahvalleymom HB User
Re: Could SSRI and BC Pill make it worse?

Hi,
I started taking Cymbalta an SSNRI back in September 04, it has helped me, there had been several other anti-D's that were tried first with very limited results.

What I noticed orginally:my eyesight, thought clarity along with the brain fog improved. I'm still taking CYmbalta, it's working for me along with the rest of my regime.

However, CSF and the makeup of our body's chemistry is unique. There are many malfunctions, dificiencies, and underlying issues causing the symptoms of CFS or CFIDS. Anti-D's, sleep and pain meds alone won't be enough due to all of the other factors.

The fatigue that comes with CFS has many underlying causes ie: stress, not sleeping well, CNS and neuroendocrine dysfunctions, hormone and adrenal dysfunction, eating habits, certain foods, caffeine, chemical sensitivites, underlying infections, thyroid issues, and probably other ones..

For me, I have found what works and have not had the brain fog for months, I hope that you can find what works for you soon, too. uvm

Last edited by ukiahvalleymom; 11-09-2005 at 11:09 AM. Reason: sentence error

Closed Thread