It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2005, 09:51 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User
CFS and gaining weight

Anyone have any ideas about how to avoid gaining weight while fighting against CFS that makes me want to lay around/sleep all the time while hurting from FMS (so I CAN"T sleep) and while seeking food comfort from depression which circles back around to CFS?? Since my shoulder surgery in June I have gained 20 pounds. HELP!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User
Re: CFS and gaining weight

I can definitely relate, I have put on about 15 lbs since i got CFS although I have been eating the same amount of calories. Really, since I can't exercise, the only thing to do to prevent more weight gain (and possibly lose a little) is to decrease your calories. Sorry, I wish I had some better advice! That's really the only thing to do. I try filling up on lower caloried foods (i.e. fruit, chicken) instead of more fattening thing so I don't feel hungry, but I also turn to sugar and carbs as I have had increased depression since I got the CFS, also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2005, 04:09 AM   #3
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by septemberwoman
Anyone have any ideas about how to avoid gaining weight while fighting against CFS that makes me want to lay around/sleep all the time while hurting from FMS (so I CAN"T sleep) and while seeking food comfort from depression which circles back around to CFS?? Since my shoulder surgery in June I have gained 20 pounds. HELP!!!!!!
Weight gain is common with CFIDS because of lack of exercise, but also because many of us tend to feel a bit better after we eat as the food provides energy,which we don't have. I would suggest trying low carb. You don't have to go to extremes, just cut down on bread, grains and other high carb foods like soda and sugar. A low carb way of eating, aside from keeping your weight down, is also another way to get back more energy.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:30 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User

Just a quick note: I tried following a pretty strick low carb diet for a while and it completely drained me of ALL the energy I had. It is beneficial to cut down on sugar, white bread, and potatoes, but I would not follow atkins or a program like that.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:51 PM   #5
Inactive

peregrine HB User

For me,foods with high carb content tend to drain my (already drained) energy, so I keep them to a miniumum. Each person really needs to determine what is best for their body. These boards are great in that people with similar conditions can report on what has (or has not) worked for them, but no one here is an authority, thus should not dictate what others should or should not do. In the end, the best measure to take is to listen to your own body.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine
For me,foods with high carb content tend to drain my (already drained) energy, so I keep them to a miniumum. Each person really needs to determine what is best for their body. These boards are great in that people with similar conditions can report on what has (or has not) worked for them, but no one here is an authority, thus should not dictate what others should or should not do. In the end, the best measure to take is to listen to your own body.

I didn't tell or "dictate" anyone to do anything. And did I say I was an authority? I said that I would not follow a strick atkins diet. There have been wayyyyy too much negative reports on strick low carb diets.They can make you very, very ill. Five doctors I asked all said a true "low carb" diet is bad for people with CFS. I'm not talking about cutting out candy and pop and things like that, I am talking about eating only meat and cheese and salads, (which some low-carb followers don't even eat). Good carbs ARE essential for energy, and that is the truth. And I don't think anyone on these boards are naive enough to follow the advice of another person who is not a doctor, but this is an open forum to give OPINIONS and I gave my opinion. You are entitled to your own also.

Last edited by NatashaW; 12-01-2005 at 01:08 PM.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaW
I didn't tell or "dictate" anyone to do anything. And did I say I was an authority? I said that I would not follow a strick atkins diet. There have been wayyyyy too much negative reports on strick low carb diets.They can make you very, very ill. Five doctors I asked all said a true "low carb" diet is bad for people with CFS. I'm not talking about cutting out candy and pop and things like that, I am talking about eating only meat and cheese and salads, (which some low-carb followers don't even eat). Good carbs ARE essential for energy, and that is the truth. And I don't think anyone on these boards are naive enough to follow the advice of another person who is not a doctor, but this is an open forum to give OPINIONS and I gave my opinion. You are entitled to your own also.
The point I was trying to make is that there are no hard and true facts about nutrition. What is right for one person may not be for another. Further, I would really question any doctor who would say that low-card is "bad" for people with CFIDS. It has helped me immeasurably, as well as others I know who have this illness. To say what works for you is one thing, to tell others what they should or shouldn't do is, in my opinion, presumptuous. No one here knows anyone else's body or circumstances.

All the best to you, whatever type of healing you subscribe to.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

NatashaW HB User

Once again, I never told anyone what to do....and calling me presumputuous is uncalled for. If giving an opinion is presumputuous, then you are are also. I said "I WOULD NOT FOLLOW A LOW CARB DIET" I did not say "YOU SHOULD NOT FOLLOW A LOW CARB DIET".

Eating nothing but meat, cheese, eggs and an occasional salad is not a healthy diet, and that is not my opinion, that is a medical fact.

The part of the country I live in also has many of the best hospitals in the country,and I can venture to say that they doctors I have consulted are more educated on nutrition than you are. I have also know several people who followed strict low carb and had health complications.

Anyways, we can agree to disagree.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:28 AM   #9
(female)

ukiahvalleymom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by septemberwoman
sept woman,
Hello and welcome,
I have both FMS and CFIDS, my doctor looked for the uderlying issues to treat, in turn many of the symptoms are gone.

One underlying cause of symptoms was a thyroid dysfunction, have you had a thyroid test. I'll have to get back to you, on the exact names of test, that will truly determine if there is a problem there.

Tho! Due to some of my underlying causes, I lost weight. Through the last 2 years, I was a yo-yo, up 20lbs down 25lbs, up and down... Now that I'm feeling better, I've put on around 13lbs so far and I'm looking much better.

Another one, yeast overgrowth, a big battle for me for the last two years, the symptoms are leaky gut, IBS issues, vision blurring, brain fog, fatigue...many symptoms listed under FMS and CFS are gone once you are treated for this. You can look up previous posts of mine to get more info on all that I have shared here.

There is documentation in CFS and FMS that the food we eat play a big part in the fatigue, pain, IBS, and yeast overgrowth issues which inturn flares our symptoms...

Through my journey, I learned to become disapplined in many areas, especially with my diet, and it works!

The reason why I lost weight with this illness is:
1) an underlying issue of neurotoxins.
2) sticking to the right food.
3) drinking lots of purified water.
4) keeping it off is through the right treatment and sticking with the right foods.

I hope that you can find what will work for you, mainly its getting your symptoms under control so that you feel better and can be more active.

I wish you the best, uvm

Last edited by ukiahvalleymom; 12-02-2005 at 09:34 AM. Reason: correction

Old 12-20-2005, 06:07 PM   #10
(female)

HopeandMe1 HB User

I have lost over 30 pounds with this. I started out overweight. Now I am not overweight but have a huge flab issue because I can't exercise and wear clothes that look like elephants. I can not afford to buy new clothes. Some days due to loss of appetite I have to force feed myself. I would rather weigh over 400 pounds than have this illness!

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:44 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User

NatashW,

My parents went on the Atkins diet and lost weight, felt high energy etc, but now the chickens have come home to roost. They both feel worse than they have ever felt. My mom has developed gout, which is one of things high proteins incorrectly eaten causes. She gained all her weight back and feel horrible. She does now understand how I feel though--??? I am just a calorie counter who tries to eat what is good for me.

HopeinMe1,

I have a huge flab on my lower belly that I got from having babies. It kind of shrivels up when I lose weight, but looks gross. I consider it to be my badge of birthing and that helps (unless I see some 18 yr old prancing about with her navel rings exposed..aw well, I am 49 and there's nothing wrong with that!! I have been reading a book about "middlessence" and it is helping me to see my older body with all it's imperfections are beauty marks from a well earned good life. It is called Painting the Walls Red. Anyone feeling the hag of age getting to them should get a copy. I am sending one to my Sis in law--she will be 50 in January.

To All...Here is my prayer that we all make it through the holidays in great spirit and filled with enough love to overshadow any overdoing we do. God bless--Merry Christmas!

Closed Thread