It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 06:13 AM   #1
(male)

onks HB User
very sleepy at same time each day?

Hello,
While I am prett certain that I have CFS I along with others am frustrated at the medical help and variety of symptoms.I have a question for you all- each day around 10am give or take 20minutes or so I feel the need to lay down-not always sleep but I become exhausted.My blood sugars are fine and all other tests seem normal. Do any of you have this throughout the day? I so what do you do to combat this?
HELP!!!!!!
Mike

Old 01-12-2006, 04:38 AM   #2
(male)

onks HB User
Smile Re: very sleepy at same time each day?

Thanks so much for responding to me!!!! I should let you know that I have been tested for Addison's disease- at least that was my understanding- I had been given an injection and then went back one hour later to see how my system reacted to the injection,things were normal- go figure huh?I liked your "don't let them give you antidepressants" quote.When all of this had started strongly (last March) a neurologist wanted to put me on a new seizure drug that was out and along with that an antidepressant. I then sought a second opinion and this neuro said no meds but to get counseling that my severe exhaustion and the "buzzing" in my arms and legs was anxiety and nothing more. I told my wife this and she laughed-we both did. Anyone who knows me knows I am not depressed or anxious. So I did se an infectous disease dr who tested me for lyme disease-one test was positive one negative. Then he tested for EBV and I was pos but he said my exposure was a long time ago. My life is funny now. I used to be an athletic person who loved to run and seemed to have more energy with the more activity I had. Now I will have one "good" day and three "bad" tired days that is.What is a person to do and who does one go to?This whol CFS thing is frustrating.Do any of you all take supplements that help? Well sorry this is so long but it helps to get this out of my system.Any feed back from anyone would be welcome. Thanks again!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
Re: very sleepy at same time each day?

Do you find that you are generally less fatigued in the early morning and in the evening, but more fatigued during the day?

Note that M.D. usually do not recognize any adrenal issues other then full-blown Addisons (hypo) or Cushings (hyper) disease. However there is a condition known as Adrenal Exhaustion or Adrenal Insufficiency. This is when the output of cortisol from your adrenal glands is low enough to cause extreme fatigue.

The adrenal glands produce cortisol in a cyclical nature. The normal output for 6:00 AM, for example, is very different than that of 1:00 PM. Most M.D.s are not aware of this, or not aware of the significance. They will typically either do a blood test or a urine test.

The blood test is generally taken at an arbitrary time of the day, and ignores this cyclical factor. This test is worthless for diagnosing Adrenal Exhaustion.

The urine test, is generally taken by collecting urine over a 24-hour period, and then compared to a normal average. This test may seem to make more sense, as it would indicate the average over the day, and thus, include the cyclical factor. However this test, is also worthless in diagnosing Adrenal Exhaustion. This is because it is actually quite common for a patient with this condition to have normal or high-normal cortisol output in the early morning and in the evening, yet to have low cortisol output during the day. The 24-hour average, would not adequately highlight this.

The correct test for this condition is the saliva test, where you spit into a vial at four times in one day, and each vial is tested independently. This gives a good look at your cycle. My cycle, for example is:

6:00-8:00 AM mid-normal
12:00-1:00 PM Low
4:00-5:00 PM Low
10:00PM-12:00AM high-normal

You can probably guess that a person with this pattern, could feel pretty good in the early morning and late evening, but feel exhausted during the day.

Now, the test you had done just tests the Pituitary - Hypothalamus - Adrenal hormonal feedback/control loop. That is really somewhat unrelated to what I'm suggesting above.

Closed Thread