It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
(female)

CerebralChaos HB User
Managing CFS in high school..

I haven't been diagnosed with chronic fatigue. Though lately I've been reading more about it, and when asking my doctors about it, it seems they know very little about it. One claimed it was all allergies, another simply dismissed it.

But whatever it is I have, it's only been getting worse. First I was just severely fatigued. Then my joints and muscles began aching with this dull pain constantly. And more recently, it seems to be affecting my brain. My short term memory is terrible and it seems my brain can't always register words on a page.. Instead, reading the same thing over and over. I'm basically a walking, very confused corpse. I'm failing every single one of my classes [I'm in 11th grade]. I end up not even going to a lot of them; I find myself getting off on the wrong floor, going to the wrong lunch, to the wrong class then just wandering aimlessly or finding myself in the library.. And some of my teachers will, naturally, assume that I'm skipping, that I'm a lazy underachiever when that really isn't so. But it's maddening. It's like I'm deteriorating inside and out, almost. Becoming molten lead.

I also have epstein-barr as well as tonsillitis, so obviously that doesn't help very much. But with all of the short term memory loss and everything.. I don't know what exactly this could be, if not chronic fatigue syndrome. My mom certainly doesn't understand. Granted, I couldn't exactly blame her but it's extremely frusturating to be in this condition, against my will, while others might dismiss it at laziness, melodrama or some short phase.

But back to the point.. What are some alternatives I could try? How could I manage highschool? Homeschooling isn't an option.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Re: Managing CFS in high school..

Hi,
Poor short term memory and concentration ARE symtoms of CFS; I have them both. I could read for hours before I got CFS-how I can read for only 10 mins at a time, or less. I can't remember much of what I read if it is at all technical.

First, you need to find a doctor who DOES know about CFS. If you have insurance, call them and see if they can help. It might also do you good to see an endocrinologist, as they deal in hormones, thryoid conditions, ect.

You say you have Epstein Barr...did you have mono? Who diagnosed you and how?

I would also print out some info online about CFS and give it to your mom, and maybe even your doctor. There are lots of theories about what causes CFS including hormonal problems, adrenal fatigue, ect.
I would also go to your principal at school and all your teachers and explain to them what is going on physically with you. There are lots of kids with health problems in high school-they just don't talk about it. But if your teachers know that you are having health problems,the more likely they are to give your extra time on assignments, ect.
Lots of kids get mono and stay sick for months and months so teachers have experience with kids having problems in school due to illness. Speak up!
What about the tonsils? Are you going to have them removed?
The first step is to educate yourself!

Last edited by Natalie00; 01-20-2006 at 05:44 PM.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User

Aww, hun, I really feel your pain, I'm the same way only I'm in 12th grade. Last year was when my problems started and it was horrible, my teachers were so mean to me for missing class so much and sometimes I'd have brain whatever and fail a test from not being able to recall any names whatsoever. This year though a friend with Crohn's Disease told me about this thing that all school's are required to have available, it's called a 504 Plan. It gets sent out to your teachers and explains about your health problems and allows for different things like more time to make up work, extra time on tests, not being able to count abscences against you, whatever you and your counselor decide would be helpful for you. It has made a world of difference for me, mostly just from showing my teachers that I really am sick and they are much more understanding now. You should go to your school counselor and explain your situation and ask about a 504 Plan but a parent will have to be with you when yours is made up (this was kind of a downside for me as well since my dad didnt feel that i needed one, that is until he listened to me explaining to my counselor that i would need to be able to retake a test if my brain shut downs because i failed a few tests last year from just leaving them completely blank) Best of luck and hang in there, I know it doesn't seem like it now but you'll be ok!

Old 03-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
(male)

infoseeker2 HB User

a change in diet might help
some might say you have lyme disease symtoms or a candida overgrowth

Old 03-09-2006, 04:58 AM   #5

Kylie1 HB User

I was given the option of doing one school year over a two year period, but I didn't because I was embarassed. If I could do it over I would have done that, and if you are feeling this terrible then I think you should consider it. Whatever it is that is wrong with you, there is no point in pushing yourself too hard and making it worse. You will make your health worse, and your grades will suffer too. I know it isn't the most fun idea, but a few extra years isn't that big a deal when you look at it in the long term.

In the meantime, try and stay healthy and ask your doctor about chronic fatigue.

Closed Thread