It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Weight gain as a result of CFS/related problems

Has anyone else gained weight because of their CFS and related health problems despite eating less than you did before you got ill? I have gained 15 lbs since I got sick, and I do not eat very much. This is very upsetting to me because I am only 5'1'' and used to be very petite. Now all I have to do is eat 3 light meals a day and I gain weight. I found out I probably have hypothyroidism also and am hoping if I get on meds for that I will lose the weight. Anyone else dealing with this problem?

Old 02-16-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
(male)

Aristo HB User
Re: Weight gain as a result of CFS/related problems

Yeah I used to be 5'10" 160 lbs with <8% body fat and after being in bed sick for many months I went to a peak of 193. It seems I was feeling so bad that I ate more for the slight improvement it would make in the way I felt. Coupled with the lethragy and my inactivity, it's not surprising that his happened. Some steroid injections I was given along the way didn't really help matters either. Needless to say my physique has changed a lot, but I seem to be just naturally losing the weight as my condition improves, heading back to my old equilibrium.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2006, 05:39 AM   #3
(female)

PollyGirl HB User

Before I received a DX of Fibromyalgia a year ago and then again 6 months ago and then the DX of Epstein Barr just a few weeks ago (by three different doctors), I also had gained so much weight (the 35 I lost several years ago and then another 25 in a one year time frame) despite following a reduced calorie/carb diet and fitness walking up to 6 miles a day. I am also trying to stay very very active on a daily basis but cannot drop this weight no matter what I do. I swear I gain weight on lettuce alone.

I've been tested for everything imagineable: ie......thyroid, lupus, RA, MA, Sjorgrens...etc and the only thing that shows is a recent infection of EBV.

So, my question is how do we gain weight despite exercising and watching food intake? Where does the weight come from? Is there hope of ever losing it?

Old 04-21-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
(female)

outragedangel9 HB User

hello I cannot give you the solution I also have cfs-and ebstinebarr can you tell me just what is ebstinebarr I was told 20 years ago I had it it was found in my blood thanks

Old 04-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Most (many) people have an inactive EBV-is is an infection-it "sort of" causes mono but not exactly-mono is a little different. CFS used to be thought of as having a chronic ACTIVE EBV-which can cause illness and fatigue.

Polly about the weight gain-

You can have hypothyroidism and still test within the "normal" range! I suggest you get tested again, it takes a really good doctor to read the results correctly. Do a search on CFS and hypothyroidism so you can learn more. You would probably benefit from thyroid meds. I am taking 10 mg and have lost a little weight.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Also, read up on CANDIDA-many people with CFS have it-you could benefit from antifungal/probiotics. Do you crave sugar, have a white coating on your tongue, feel depressed, mood swings, ect?? There is a great book called Tired...so tired...and the yeast connection.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:33 PM   #7
(female)

izulyse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie00
Has anyone else gained weight because of their CFS and related health problems despite eating less than you did before you got ill? I have gained 15 lbs since I got sick, and I do not eat very much. This is very upsetting to me because I am only 5'1'' and used to be very petite. Now all I have to do is eat 3 light meals a day and I gain weight. I found out I probably have hypothyroidism also and am hoping if I get on meds for that I will lose the weight. Anyone else dealing with this problem?
You sound just like me. I was just diagnosed with Graves'/hyperthyroidism. Instead of losing weight I have gained 25 pounds in a year. I went to the doctor because I take three hour naps in the morning, two and three hour naps in the afternoon and my whole body hurts constantly. My doctor said that the fatigue and weight gain are related to the excessive antibodies that I am producing as a result of the Graves' disease. He just prescribed me with a Beta blocker, to control my shortness of breath and anxiety. I will get an ultrasound and then he will prescribe me with thyroid medication. I am terrified of gaining more weight. I am only 5'2" I used to wear a size 0, then a size 2 after my first child, a size six after my second, and right now I am wearing tight size 8/10. It is so depressing that I just want to lock myself up in a closet and never get out again.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
(female)

HurtinHouston HB User

CFIDS, EBV, Thyroid desease, Fibromyalgia, candida, yeast overgrowth, etc., all of these things are related. It's a question of which came first, the chicken or the egg? Who knows, but the more research is done, the more they are finding these connections.

On the thyroid connection, if you are testing in the normal range, find an endo who will do a TRH test--not a TSH test. Also ask them if they have ever treated CFIDS patients before and if so, how many. Ask if they are familiar with the conversion problems we face with changing T4 into T3 or in changing T4 into Reverse T3 and if they will test you for these as well. You might also ask if they are willing to treat you with specially compounded T3 rather than Armour Thyroid or even Cytomel or especially any of the synthetic thyroid drugs. I assure you, you will feel so much better with the correct medication and the weight will fall right off of you with the proper diet and exercise, even with the CFIDS. Be patient though. It can take a while to get the dosage regulated. Just know there is hope.

Best regards.

Debra

Old 03-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #9
(female)

rvbudd HB User

I did a search and found your conversation from a few years ago. My daughter, a senior in high school has gained 20 pounds in a little over one year. She has been tested with the Ebstein Barr virus in her blood (she had mono right before the weight gain began) and we see from a ultra sound her thyroid has numerous systs. They have just put her on a low dosage thryoid medicine. Did you ever resolve your issues? Please let me know if you have any ideas? She goes to college soon and I am very concerned for her.
Thank you

Closed Thread