It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Do having CFS make you react differently to anesthesia/surgery?

I am thinking of having my sinus' operated on this spring/summer (I have a deviated septum that is causing a lot of pain and congestion) but was wondering if have CFS would make me react differently or badly to anesthesia, or if I would be at any greater risk having surgery??

Anyone with CFS or related diseases that have had surgery?

I am going to wait as long as possible because right now I am so tired I would probably feel horrible having surgery.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User
Re: Do having CFS make you react differently to anesthesia/surgery?

no dont think so,i had sinus surgery in 04 and did fine as far as the anestesia.sinus problems can cause cfs type symptoms! the aftermath of the procedure for me was not so pleasant, which i had a deviated septum, a bone spur, and a few other things ground out.be sure to get a SECOND opinion before making up your mind. best wishes

Last edited by hyper79; 02-18-2006 at 07:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Hyper-

Thanks for the reply. This will be my second sinus surgery. The first doctor did not correct my deviated septum enough on the left side (err...). I know that sinus problems can contribute to fatigue so I really want to get this taken care of. Did it take you longer to recover from the surgery as a result of your CFS?? I have been battling an active EBV infection for a year a half now and am worried that my immune system is so weak that anesthesia would be bad for me. I will, of course, ask my doctors also.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

its hard to say because i had a bad infection before and after the infection,it took me a while to recover, a week of packing was miserable, im afraid i may have to get surgery again theres some sort of blockage in my left maxilary.as far as EBV its a dormant type virus, kinda wakes from sleep when the immune system is down.i was diagnosed with it back in 2003 but my wife doesnt have it,mines not active but shows in bloodwork.the CDC cant really find a direct link between EBV and CFS.are you taking any good vitamans,seeing thats the only help for EBV,b-12 shots ect...if you surf around there are some super supplements especially for EBV one is monobrex? i think thats the name .

Old 02-19-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Hi again

I just started going to a place called the Fibro and Fatigue Center in Middleburg Heights, OH. I can not say enough positive things about the center. They have started me on all sorts of vitamins, supplements and IV treatments. In 2 weeks I will be getting all my bloodworks results in. There are several centers in 10 different states. I have only been going for about 3 weeks and I already feel hopeful. Before I found this place, I thought I would just slowly deteriorate until I was bed-ridden. Ever since I had mono in Sept '04, I have been very ill and I have gotten worse each month.
When did your symtoms starts?

Oh..and I know how miserable the packing is with sinus surgery. And isnt it so much fun when they pull the stuff OUT of your nose???

Old 02-19-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

mine started back in 99 i guess,always tired swollen lymp nodes ect.. other than taking vitamans ive kinda delt with it, exercise when im up to it, i still work full time but its rough.i worried for soo long about my health ive added on anxiety and depression.i have more bad than good days it seems always fighting to keep up.i live in a very small town and good medical help is hard to find, i think my ent should stick with breast enhancment instead of sinus surgery seeing he does that too "lol" im in way worse shape now than before he messed with me, i can breathe better but the infections are 5x's worse. yea that packings rough,i thought it was gonna be some gauze packed in and gently pulled out,i wondered what those 2 strings taped on my nose were"to pull on" i sure hope you recover and get well.ive got to go back to my ent this thursday have not seen him in a year, maybe he will hopefully find a cause for these constant infections.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
(male)

Icky_Metal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper79
always tired swollen lymp nodes ect.. .
If you'd share, I'm curious as to how you concluded that you have CFS. I have constantly swollen lymph nodes and am frequently tired, but I also have bad allergies, which I understand can be the culprit. I also have brain fog occassionally, but attribute that to sinus infections.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

hello icky metal, usually cfs is diagnosed after all other test both physical and mental have been ruled out and most of the time if the symptoms occur for 6 months or more. theres really no actual test for cfs.the CDC is and has been searching for a exact cause.as for the swollen nodes usually a sign of infection possibly sinus.i have been diagnosed by 2 differ doctors with cfs.dispite the odds of all my problems i stiil manage to work a 40 hr week if im lucky, by friday im exhausted and feel crappy every weekend it "sucks" doctors are pretty much clueless of the cause in an otherwise healthy person.allergies can,candida growth,mono,depression,chronic pain the list goes on...................................... ......................

Last edited by hyper79; 02-20-2006 at 01:43 PM.

Closed Thread