It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 10:23 PM   #1

musicftm HB User
My sickness: Help Diagnose Me.

ok, so i have posted here before but im trying to figure it out! im 18, male, otherwise healthy. for a year i have been gradually been getting dizzy and about 6 months ago i started having really bad dizziness with a scary rapid heart beat and it pounded. i was diagnosed with mono at that time and was also given several other tests all came out fine and the doctor cannot find whats wrong with me. i was put on anxiety medicine to see if that helped (which it did, a little, though i wasnt very stressed or anxious anyways) also my blood pressure has been high (around 130/70-150/80 and it has been as high as 170/100) i get very tired and my heart pounds rapidly with even low exertion. i have had several smallers symptoms like weakness and slight numbness in my hand and foot, night sweats, fatigue, ringing in my ears, blurry and foggy vision, dry eyes, and my limbs fall asleep very easily. like i said i have had a ton of tests and the doc is stumped. blood tests, heart echo, ekg, holter, thyroid, etc etc. my immune system has been down as well. overall, since about 6 months ago i do feel a bit better but its still really bad. could i just have a severe case of chronic fatigue?? tell me what else you think it could be. thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
(female)

Winnieie HB User
Re: My sickness: Help Diagnose Me.

Not to scare you, of course im not a doctor, but have you been tested for possible infection in the heart by the virus causing mono? maybe the doc could let you try both antibiotics and antiviral pills to see if that could help. IF he tells you there is no such thing, he is wrong. The cfs association of wisconsin is raising awarness of this issue, find it in the web search under wisconsin cfs association.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
(female)

CRenee HB User

Do you feel better/worse in different environments? Exa: work or school or home any worse? Sometimes it may be an environmental factor. Check possibly you may be having a reaction. Is your house older, recently built or recently remodeled? Do you have leaky pipes in your house or any mold in the basement? Look in the internet under sick building syndromes, they may have some of the same symptoms. I have had symptoms similar to yours in the past and went on unpaid sick leave from work. Since I left that building, I have felt somewhat better except I am still dizzy from time to time. My other symptoms have dissipated though. I have been to several doctors and am still working on getting a diagnosis and treatment. Good luck to you and if I find my diagnosis I will repost w/an update.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
(male)

JIM DRIVINSUN HB User

HEY MUSICFTM. I HAVE HAD THE SAME SYMPTOMS AS YOU FOR TWO YEARS. AFTER ABOUT 7 MONTHS SOME OF THE HEART PALPITATIONS
SLOWED DOWN A BIT, BUT I STILL GET THEM SOME TIMES. LIKE I SAID ,I HAD ALL THOSE SYMPTOMS AND WHEN I LOOK UP AT THE SKY OR A CEILING,I CAN SEE CLOUDS IN MY EYES AND THEY LOOK LIKE THEY ARE FLOATING BY.
FIND A DR. THATS WILLING TO WORK WITH YOU AND DOES'NT SAY "OH YOU
HAVE AXIETY AND MIGHT OFFER YOU ANTI-DEPRESSANTS". FIND A WELL KNOWN LYME DISEASE DR. AND GET CHECKED FOR LYME.
THIS STUFF IS NO JOKE. I TESTED POSITIVE FOR LYME AND EPSTEIN BARR.
EATING RIGHT WILL HELP YOU FEEL BETTER ALSO. HIGH PROTEIN AND VEGETABLES. VITAMINS {MULTI} VIT. B. STRESS FORMULA. ,B12.LOTS OF VIT.C. DOES MUSICFTM MEAN YOU PLAY A MUSICAL INSTRUMENT?
LETS ALL FEEL BETTER. PEACE. JIM DRIVINSUN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicftm
ok, so i have posted here before but im trying to figure it out! im 18, male, otherwise healthy. for a year i have been gradually been getting dizzy and about 6 months ago i started having really bad dizziness with a scary rapid heart beat and it pounded. i was diagnosed with mono at that time and was also given several other tests all came out fine and the doctor cannot find whats wrong with me. i was put on anxiety medicine to see if that helped (which it did, a little, though i wasnt very stressed or anxious anyways) also my blood pressure has been high (around 130/70-150/80 and it has been as high as 170/100) i get very tired and my heart pounds rapidly with even low exertion. i have had several smallers symptoms like weakness and slight numbness in my hand and foot, night sweats, fatigue, ringing in my ears, blurry and foggy vision, dry eyes, and my limbs fall asleep very easily. like i said i have had a ton of tests and the doc is stumped. blood tests, heart echo, ekg, holter, thyroid, etc etc. my immune system has been down as well. overall, since about 6 months ago i do feel a bit better but its still really bad. could i just have a severe case of chronic fatigue?? tell me what else you think it could be. thanks!

Old 07-24-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Kali M HB User

I had the exact same symptoms as you, for several years, with the exception of the pounding heart (though I DID and occasionally still do get palpitations in my THROAT around the thyroid). My BP went from 90's/50's up to 140's/80's. I was eventually diagnosed with both CFIDS and Hashimoto's hypothyroidism (an endocrinologist finally tested BOTH antibodies and my anti TPO antibodies were very high). With thyroid replacement many of my symptoms have improved (though they have not completely gone away). Oh, and I also have chronic EBV.

You very likely could have CFIDS (and you could possibly have an autoimmune thyroid problem). With autoimmune thyroid problems there is often a surge of thyroid (which could cause the heart pounding), and then a lack of thyroid (which can cause severe weakness/fatigue/numbness & tingling/etc.).

Does your doc know much about CFIDS?

KM

Old 07-24-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
(female)

patsycatsy HB User

Some of your symptoms suggest lead poisoning. Did you switch jobs, pick up a new hobby, move into an older house - do something radically different, a few months before this started? You can pick up a kit to test the water in your home for lead content, at a home supply place. Doctor can test your blood for heavy metal content. Good luck, hope you find the problem soon. PatsyCatsy

Old 01-03-2007, 05:35 AM   #7
(female)

evergreen33 HB User

musicftm,

I posted this to you on another board I think, but wanted to make sure you got it...

Your symptoms are very common of multiple sclerosis. Optic neuritis - blurriness and eye pain - fatigue, anxiety (the pounding heart), vertigo (the dizziness you describe), "brain fog," limbs falling asleep, numbness. I don't know what your doc is thinking, but if he hasn't sent you to a neurologist by now with all those symptoms, he's not on top of his game.

Multiple sclerosis is a progressive degenerative disease of the central nervous system and is very common in the United States, (about 1 in 700) and even more common in northern states than southern, as it's geographically linked. It's twice as common in Caucasians and women. They think now that there is a link to Epstein Barr Virus, the virus that causes mono. Have you noticed any other symptoms like difficulty with balance, a tendency to drop things, or one foot that drags? There are a variety of symptoms associated with MS and no two patients have the same set of symptoms, making it difficult to diagnose, which is why an MRI is so useful to see if there are lesions in the brain.

EVEN IF you're not having symptoms now, there's STILL a possibility you have MS and an MRI is the best thing to reveal that. MS and many other diseases can be cyclical, so even if you don't have symptoms (or are taken meds to mask the symptoms) doesn't mean you're fine!

Even if you've had an MRI, with your symptoms it's a good idea to get one annually. You should see a neurologist as soon as possible. While MS is a strong possibility, there are numerous other neurological conditions it could be as well (Lyme disease is another one that fits these symptoms.)

One additional thing... occasionally an MRI will come up normal even with MS, so often a spinal tap is used to confirm a suspected case of MS.

Hope you figure things out. Best of luck and keep us updated. We'd like to know what it is you find out. I'm here too, if you ever feel the need to rant about symptoms.

evergreen

Last edited by evergreen33; 01-03-2007 at 02:05 PM.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
(female)

shelovescliche HB User

It *could* be Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but the worst possible thing you could do is try to get a diagnosis from a message board.

If you really think that you might have it--a lot of the symptoms of CFS are common with other conditions, as well--then ask your doctor. And if your doctor doesn't know the first thing about CFS, then go to someone who does.

And as a reference--CFS isn't an immune dysfunction; the immune system works fine in people who have CFS...it's mainly the constant fatigue that causes CFS patients to get sick more than normal people.

I hope you find some answers, though.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
(male)

Higgler HB User

I've solved an identical problem.

You may not want to believe this simple concept, but your body is probably breathing too fast and too shallow and your doctor and your body can't recognize the problem is due to fast breathing. Your body can recognize when you hold your breath. Your body just can't recognize slightly fast breathing, which I guarantee you can create problems in your body due to a change in body chemistry from unusual CO2/O2 ratio's. Problems usually takes years to develop and you can't see it coming.

Now here's a suggestion that solved my problem, no drugs and it won't cost you anything;
experiment: exhale gently, relaxed and normally, don't inhale until your body gently nudges you to inhale. Notice your body doesn't give hardly any hint it needs you to inhale for many many seconds. Please ask yourself why you breath so fast if you body doesn't need it. Answer = bad habit.

Now if you realize your body can breath twice as slow as you normally do and it feels ok, then ask yourself this question. What if my body chemistry changed because of this and all I have to do is slow down. ... So please start breathing half speed, or at least slower. You'll see results in an hour.

You may feel a bit unusual during this slower breathing, so I suggest you lie down and try body-cued-breathing 30-60 minutes. Don't do it while driving, you may pass out, it can feel very odd. If your body is really out of whack due to fast breathing which you've been doing for years, it would be foolish to think it'll be great in one day of good breathing. It'll take many many months to correct, but only hours to recognize a big change.

Each body reacts a bit differently to rapid breathing. Doctors didn't recognize my breathing problems caused my heart problems. I found that out through reading and persistent slow breathing efforts. Each time I jogged my heart would ache even at a slow jog. That lasted for at least 3 years. I had a camera snaked into my heart via my groin area and "things looked great, arteries are wide open, don't see any reason for your problem" according to the doctors. Right now I can't jog fast enough to get my heart to ache, which feels good, but I'm still aggravated the doctors haven't a clue.

I believe there's a set of problems/diseases that the doctors respond commonly to, such as;
"we don't know what causes it (CFS, bundle branch block, etc.), we don't know how to fix it, we'll just have to wait and see what happens, if it gets much worse there are things we can try, but for now we can't do anymore, thankyou for coming into our lab and letting us do all those tests, there's no way simple breathing can fix this". Yes, sarcasm intended.

good luck!

PS: Now for the bad news, it takes alot of effort to change your breathing permanently, I still fight with it every day, and it's been 6 years since my heart bundle branch problem, and 2 years since I've solved it. I slip into fast breathing often, then I recognize it, kick myself and slow myself down. Good luck.
PPS: he's from Russian and complained for decades about doctors not recognizing all the problems caused by improper breathing.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-13-2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 01-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

MOMOFBOYZ HB User

Hi there! I had all of these symptoms. And besides being dx but not medicated with Hashimotos thyroiditis, and mitral valve prolapse, I just got the dx of cfs. It took a lot of testing though. Like you I have a lot of the ms symptoms. And the mri was negative. But I get low grade fevers which is NOT a symptom of ms. Which to me is good. But my right or left depending on the day drags. I have a cane (two in fact) and I am only 40. But it helps me walk sometimes. When I am too dizzy I can't drive. Once I got dx with mvp and got on Topral MOST of the heart issues have gone away or subsided. But I see you have had the echo.
You do HAVE to have ms or other neuro problems ruled out first. The you very well may have cfs. I guess it isn't as bad as ms or cancer or something.

Good luck. But please keep searching. The hardest part is all of the testing. I wanted to give up so many times. But you can't!!!!

Good luck and God bless,
Deena

Old 01-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #11
(female)

Lothlorien87 HB User

Hi,
I've had chronic fatigue syndrome for about 4 years now, and I started out with symptoms very similar to yours. However, I also had a test called a tilt table test done, which showed that I have something called NMH/POTS (neurally mediated hypotension/ postural trachiardal syndrome) which basically means that your blood pools easily in your lower extremities, causing dizziness, numbness, and pounding heart. You might want to have your doctor check you for it. It's a very easy test, and definitely worth doing. Good luck!!

Old 01-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #12
(female)

LouiseM HB User

I agree with evergreen sounds a lot like MS to me.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Kali M HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelovescliche View Post

And as a reference--CFS isn't an immune dysfunction; the immune system works fine in people who have CFS...it's mainly the constant fatigue that causes CFS patients to get sick more than normal people.

I hope you find some answers, though.
Shelovescliche,

If you do any reading of the medical literature (or even much of the lay literature) you will find that there is indeed immune dysfunction in CFS and it is documented in MANY studies. It is much like AIDS in that the lymphocytic system is affected - and often even moreso than you find in AIDS patients. But, I'm just curious. Why did you think CFS does not have immune dysfunction? Where did that information come from?

I attended an International Conference on CFS recently and there were quite a few presentation regarding immune dysfunction. It's all very fascinating (and a bit scary to those who have it).

Anyway, hope you are all doing okay.

Kali

Closed Thread