It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2006, 06:46 AM   #1
(female)

Clare LunnUK HB User
CFS- what helps you?

Hi All,

I've been suffering from Chronic Fatigue symptoms for approximately two years.

About six months ago, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Several months later, I was told that it was an infection of the gland and that the gland's function had returned to normal. As I am still suffering pronounced fatigue that causes me to sleep about 16 hours a day when I am not working, my new doctor is referring me to an ME clinic.

I occasionally have periods of relatively good functioning. However, last year, due to personal issues, I had a lot of depression and it sorta sent me spiralling back into my previous level of non-functioning.

The best way to describe it is that I am constantly walking around in a tired fog. Anyway, time passes and I'm not really keeping touch with friends, not really doing anything but sleeping...my doc suggested that I might have depression. I don't actually feel depressed, though when I do feel that way, it's usually because I'm tired of being tired and having the memory span of a goldfish. Before I came down with the fatigue, I didn't have depression or anxiety of any sort. It's a bit of a chicken or egg scenario going to doctors who don't know whether I'm depressed because I'm tired or tired because I'm depressed. I've been prescribed antidepressants which I have taken and not received a lot of benefit from.

I just wondered if there were any specific diets or dietary supplements which people have found useful in alleviating the cognitive symptoms. I've spent a small fortune on over-the-counter supplements the past couple of years and haven't found much relief.

Is it common for people with ME to experience a relapse in severity of symptoms after emotional stress? And what's been most helpful for you?

Thanks in advance,

Clare

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Re: CFS- what helps you?

NADH has been showed to help with fatigue.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

hi clare, your post sounds the same as what im going through. i was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism "graves" and had a option of tapazole or RAI, i tried the pill for a while which didnt seem to help me very much.well like yours mine resolved itself back to normal. it has been proven that depression/stress/anxiety can effect your thyroid.i know!! i felt fine for a month or so and had a stressful upset and that was 2 weeks ago, since then im back sick, fatigued, headaches ect...the "only thing" that has helped me in years is a hobby that of course i forced myself into which is metal detecting, for example i can hunt for hours with no luck, just plain fatigued and bored and then bam!!i find that silver coin and i am energized hyped ect..the mind is a powerful thing!!what im saying is get a new hobby that you may enjoy to lift the spirit and energy.im like you ive tried all sorts of remedys with no improvement, and the doctors are puzzled,kinda had to figure things out on my own.anyway welcome to the boards!! hope things improve!!

Last edited by hyper79; 03-29-2006 at 04:22 PM.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:52 AM   #4
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Studies have shown that glautathione levels are low in people with CFIDS/ME/Fibro. Whey protein helps to bring this level up. Needs sells one called Renewpro. And, yes, emotional stress can most definitely bring on a "flare".

Closed Thread