It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2006, 05:13 PM   #16
(female)

mainecoon66 HB User
Re: Feeling Hopeless

Hi Blue,
I am so sorry that you are having such a terrible time. I can really empathise. I also got sick just 6 months into a new marriage, at age 35, and have really battled with guilt. We too wanted to have a family. I have been sick for 5 years and I am probably the worst I have been - bed-ridden, depressed, in constant pain, and as an added bonus have put on 60 pounds in the last year. My husband and I are still holding out hope that I can find a way to heal and we can have a child, but time is running out. That said, I agree with a lot of the postings here...I think it is really important to talk to your sweetie, and believe what he/she says.

One other thing I would strongly add, as others have here...I was given a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and pretty much left it at that with that for 5 years. Only after a lot of reading did I realize that I should have had extensive tests before being given that diagnosis...I wasn't. It was more like - oh, you're in pain and I don't know why, so take pain meds for the rest of your life and exercise. Over the years I kept getting worse, and steadily faster. Last year I decided I really needed a new dr and tests, so I went to the university hospital nearest me. The difference in quality of dr's was amazing. I found a wonderful endocrinologist and rheumatologist who have helped figure out what is really going on with me - epstein barr, west nile, chronic fatigue, addison's disease, a spinal disease that I can't spell, and hashimoto's hypothyroidism. The upshot is I have discovered how important it is to have a full regimine of tests, and a really good team of dr's. Of course I am lucky that my husband has really good insurance...my heart goes out to others here who don't have that luxury.

Another example is a friend of mine - dx'd with CFS for last 5 years. Turns out she has Meniere's disease - an ear disease with symptoms that mimic CFS. So while I firmly believe CFS and fibro are real diseases, I think that it's important that they are only given after other things have been ruled out. Of course, you can have CFS and FMS in addition to other diseases...ain't that grand...

Some tests that I would really recommend - full hormone work-up, DHEA level testing, adrenal function testing, hashimoto's anti-body test, x-ray's and MRI's of any areas that hurt, lyme disease test, full rheumotologic work-up, endocrine work-up. And with these tests, I would ask for the most sensitive versions - some things don't show up on the more generalized tests, but will show up on specialized tests.

Blue, I don't know if any of this helps. I am so sorry for your suffering. You will be in my thoughts. Sometimes the only thing that gets me through is hanging onto the hope that things can change, and that they may change for the better, and I would hate to miss out on that life. But when you are suffering I know it can be hard to hold onto that hope.
I really hope things get better for you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #17
(female)

MEmanuel HB User

Oh sweety my heart goes out to you. I am a little in your boat right now, but only mentally not physically. My biggest fear besides suffacation, and clowns, is getting my life together now that I'm about 60%, just graduated college finally, anyways getting it back together and losing it all "again", yes it has happened to me before, 3X's before. I lost my nursing job, home, new car, and the most wonderful man I ever met. I have been single since then 6 years, after 5 year relationship. Whatever you do, DONOT push this man away, cause thats what I did, couldnt deal and he said he wouldnt leave me, he meant it. I felt like a child, he always ironed my clothes and made me bathe, drove me to appointments, he was extremley supportive, but I felt like I was dragging him down, or I would feel like he was moving on in life with out me, which felt worse sometimes. I wish I hadnt done that, he is still my bestfriend but wont even consider reconciliation, because I crushed him so bad by leaving him for no reason at all , now this advice is good if you have a supportive mate. We have to roll with the punches, its hard, and treatment may take awhile, but take it from a 3 timer, you need to do damage control at this point. When ever I get better I start over again, but a good thing for you is you have had this DX and know what it is, I was just DX last monday, it was frustrating, not knowing why this kept happening to me. They have so many meds for this DX, you have options, and it probably wont take as long as before. Please dont give up. I hope you feel better and soon, please keep us informed and come to us for support. ME

Old 06-21-2006, 03:42 AM   #18

merlin23 HB User

Hi, yes a thyroid problem could be the cause such as lack of T4 or T3 but the more likely scenario is that your liver is not performing and as a result your bloodstream is swamped with toxins. Without adequate bile flow to digest food and carry toxins from the liver you will feel terrible. To start off look at your diet and maybe take some digestive enzymes. Undigested food can cause a myriad of health problems such as fatigue.

Thyroid hormone production etc are all dependant on a fully functioning liver. Remember, the liver does not complain directly, unlike the stomach, and can work to keep you alive at 36% of it's potential. When you reach 35 % you get liver failure.

Closed Thread