It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

meredith100 HB User
Provigil

I would REALLY appreciate feedback from anyone who has used Provigil.
My doctor and I are considering trying it for excessive daytime sleepiness that may or may not be a side effect of taking an SSRI.
Please answer any or all of my questions from your experience:
--Did Provigil help you with tiredness?
--What condition did you take it for? sleep disorders?
--Does it have to be taken every day or could I just take it mornings following not getting a good night's sleep (I require more than the average 8)?
--Did it make you at all anxious/jittery?
--Side effects?
--Could you still fall asleep at night?
--Do/did you find it habit forming? I don't want to feel totally reliant on it to stay awake.
ANY other suggestions for daytime tiredness greatly appreciated THANKS!

Old 05-31-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
(female)

Sweetgirl HB User
Re: Provigil

Meredith,

My doc prescribed Provigil for exactly those reasons, plus SSRI's make me really foggy brained. I've been taking it for almost two weeks and have had to adjust dosages somewhat. It does help me with my daytime fogginess and I have not had trouble sleeping at night because there is a definite crash when it wears off. I'm taking a little in the morning (50mg) and a little in the early afternoon (50mg) at present. 100mg at one time (half of a pill) wires me - but I'm extremely sensitive to meds (my Lexapro is 2.5 mg). I have noticed that it ramps up my anxiety if I'm in a pressure situation (more anxiety than usual), but my doc says that that will eventually go away. In the meantime, he rx'd Ativan in case it gets really bad.

The good thing is that it is lifting my depression. I'm able to consider new ways of thinking about situations that previously were not possible. My outlook seems to be getting brighter and I'm beginning to be unwilling to spend my life slogging through depression.

This is big for me because I'm really sensitive to side effects of meds and quit most of them after a couple of days (e.g., Effexor, Lamactil, Cymbalta, Neurontin.) I've been on various SSRI's for 15 years, though, because those are not an option for me. I've been searching for a med that would ease my depression without the brain fog and lethargy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
(female)

meredith100 HB User

Thanks! I seem to be in the same boat as you are...I also use Ativan for anxiety sometimes...I am reluctant to use one med to counteract what another may be doing (ie provigil for tiredness and foginess of Luvox) but then again if I can find a combo that works well, it makes sense to give it a shot. Keep us posted on Provigil, Im hearing good things...

Old 06-01-2006, 06:56 PM   #4
(female)

beach4me HB User

I have taken AD's off and on. The depression would lift but I would still feel tired and foggy. Not depressed but not happy either.

My new pd put me on Effexor, Lamictal and Provigil. Lamictal is a mood stabilizer. Often used to treat Bipolar as well. However, I do not have one symptom of BP (other than depression),

I have been on this combo for four weeks and feel incrediable! I take 50 mg of provigil each am and it gives me the energy I need. The Lamictal (50 mg) aids the Effexor (75 mg). I can not believe the difference. He said they have found that people who have medication resistant depression...the Lamictal and provigil often make the difference. Lucky for me...I am feeling the best I have felt in 19 years.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2006, 02:09 AM   #5
(female)

Moonmad HB User

Meredith - I replied in the Depression thread!

Mm

Old 06-06-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
(female)

sgougler HB User

I am currently taking Provigil and I really think it helps SO much with my severe Fatigue. Does your insurance cover though? Be careful- 1 month supply of 100mg (which I am to take 200mg) is over $300 for a months supply. I have Aetna QPOS and they do not cover this expense. If yours does- more power to you. I also take effexor Xr and don't find that they interfere with eachother.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
(female)

nowhere-child HB User

I've taken it for about 2 years. I work nights, and take 200mg on worknights at 1am (which helps prevent severe sleepiness that usually hits me by 2am). sometimes I take it when I get up in the afternoon, if I don't have to work and need to be going somewhere in the evening. Night shift work wrecks your sleep schedule!

I don't take it every day. I work 3 twelve hour shifts a week, and only take it on those nights I work, or in the case I described above, if I don't work and need to be alert for something else.

It's a miracle for me. I've been in 3 minor car accidents from falling asleep driving home from work before, but none since starting the Provigil. It's been an absolute godsend. I have no trouble sleeping when I get home--I seem to metabolize it more quickly and it wears off in 6-7 hours.

The best thing is to start with a small dose and see how it affects you. I don't feel any jitters or wired feelings, although I've heard some do. I simply feel alert and rested.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:28 AM   #8
(male)

casavpa HB User

It will either have dramatic results on your fatigue or will just make you jittery and still tired. I have suffered for 7 years with worsening fatigue. I tried some samples of provigil given to me by a neurologist. The first time I took 100mg and did not feel much other than slightly nervous. The next morning at 5am I tried 200mg and even 2 hours later I sat at my computer nodding off while drinking a cup off coffee. It gave me a headache and I felt like I drank 6 cups of coffee.I felt awful the whole day and had to take .5 milligrams of klonopin to be able to fall asleep. That was a year ago. I tried it again yesterday and took 1/4 or 50mg and it had the same effect just made me more nervous and talkative but did nothing for brain fog or fatigue. I finally found out just recently after wasting years with improper diagnosis that I was infected with blastosistis hominis. I also have a leaky gut and low levels of key amino acids and organic acids involved in the krebs cycle and energy production. I got rid of the parasite and am now trying to heal my gut and replace my beneficial intestinal bacteria. I posted the name of the tests I had run in the sleep disorders forum under the thread sleep 8 hours and still tired. I hope the provigil works for you as I had high hopes but it was just another dissapointment for me.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
(female)

lanahoop HB User

Meredith,
I took Provigil for about a month and I could not tell a difference. I took for fatigue related to Multiple Sclerosis. I didn't experience jitters. I can't really say that it helped my fatigue. Maye I needed to take it longer than a month! Good luck!

Old 08-01-2006, 06:26 PM   #10
(male)

PsychoScream HB User

One dose of Provigil made my heart pound and race at 130 BPM for hours. I never took the drug again.

Last edited by PsychoScream; 08-01-2006 at 06:27 PM.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:48 AM   #11
(female)

merrijean HB User

Too much anxiety for me. I was told it was safe, but to me it felt like taking diet pills. The calmer I stay the more energy I have. Which has been little for several years. I felt like they put gas in my car, but I was stuck in the mud with my wheels spinning. Good Luck!!

Old 10-13-2006, 07:27 PM   #12
(female)

tstumbo1 HB User

I tried Provigil several years ago when I first was diagnosed. It did help with daytime fatigue, but I had trouble sleeping at night. I was on it for about six months. I managed to live with the fatigue. Knocked out some stress factors and that helped tremendously. Also, went to bed and woke on a regular schedule.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:37 AM   #13
(female)

Sweetgirl HB User

I've been on provigil for about six months now. I take a half of one each morning & it wires me for awhile, then I settle down. I tried not taking one yesterday and I was so tired all day long. Caffeine didn't even help - and I am very sensitive to caffeine. I also ate sugar all day long - maybe because my body wanted a pick up. Ugh.

I take it immediately upon getting up - so sleeping at night isn't a problem.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #14
(male)

mikey20 HB User

Hello I use it once in a while for fatigue that I get from lyme disease . Its not addictive and I take it when I want too . I only take it on occation as it costs me 10$ per pill . You have to take it early in the morning cause I think it lasts for 18hrs or so and if you take it too late in the day it will keep you up . Its a different kinda drug , it doesn't make you shaky like caffine type drugs . They made the drug for the us military .... from what I read they know it works but they can't explain why it works so well ..... if I could afford it I would use it every day .... I have had good luck with it , I hope you do too if you decide to try it .
Mike

Closed Thread