It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
(female)

meeeeelee HB User
Question Chronic Fatigue vs. Fibromyalgia

I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Does that mean I automatically have chronic fatigue? Or is it 2 seperate issues? Just wondering.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
(female)

joylyn60 HB User
Re: Chronic Fatigue vs. Fibromyalgia

Hi was also just diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Honestly I think the symptoms are closely related with the only difference to us being pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
(female)

aswhitak HB User
Lightbulb Re: Chronic Fatigue vs. Fibromyalgia

I am 21 years old and I got diganosed with Fibromyalgia in 1998 & a year later with Chronic Fatigue. I know about everything there is to know on Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue so if anyone has any questions please feel free to just ask me! Fibromyalgia (the word itself) means Chronic Fatigue so yeah if you got it you got the other. My life has been totally controlled by my health conditions so when my doctors quit caring about me I deceided to take it upon myself & do my own research. My doctors just want to cover up the issues with heavy narcotics & stimulants & now I have a huge addiction problem to deal with on top of that! Remember your doctor DOESN'T always know best! I have been on narcotics now for about 8-9 years & I feel like this is a battle that will never end. So PLEASE think carefully before being put on any type of narcotic pain releiver.
Ashley Whitaker

Old 10-27-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
(female)

LittleLisaMarie HB User

Hi,
I have also been diagnosed with both. I also have RA, and sjögren's syndrome. I am currently in the process of switching rheumatologists, as I also show symptoms of SLE, such as hair loss, scalp problems, skin problems, and organ involvement.

I don't think I know anymore which symptom is from what. It is enough to make you bonkers.

Feel free to vent to me anytime. I am a great listener.

Lisa

Old 12-01-2006, 12:09 PM   #5
(female)

shelovescliche HB User

I think Fibromyalgia and CFS COULD be the same thing, but there's no evidence to support that. So right now, doctors treat them as two different diagnosis.

Typically people say that with FM, there's more pain involved, while CFS is more focused on fatigue.

I'm diagnosed with both. I had very prominent symptoms of CFS when I first got sick, and then the FM kicked in, putting me in a lot of pain. Now both of them are aggrivated, so I'm both more exhausted than ever and in a lot of pain.

I guess it depends on people's point of views. Some people theorize that they are, in fact, the same disease, since they're so similar. Some people theorize that they're different.

With Fibromyalgia, though, you can be sure to experience fatigue just like with CFS.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

how do you jump start your brain??? I get both the chronic fatigue and chronic pain. I take Ultram for the pain but can't beat the tiredness. I get home from work (3-11pm), I don't like to GO to sleep, so I am up til around three am. then I sleep til 2!!!! I will wake up but not FULL wake up. The kind where you just can't lie there any longer. Of course, my body is yelling at me to get up-my upper back muscles hurt so bad and I toss and turn but my BRAIN won't get going. I can't seem to just GET UP. I need to work out and when I get home from work is a great time-I can do it for a week or so, then it fizzles out. I just don't know. I was taking my zanaflex for two reasons. one, it put me to sleep and two it kept me from tossing and turning. But, I thought it was keeping me asleep too long, but two times I didn't take it and still slept for 12 hours. I may just go back to it to get to bed before three, but jeeze. I am at a loss! I am out all day, and the minute I get home all I want to do is lie down on the couch on my heating pad. I am 29 and had a successful fusion two years ago. I know that was part of it. i used to COOK too, now I can't even hardly fathom the idea. Another reason to get up-make decent meals to take to work.
AHHHHHHH!!!! ANY THOUGHTs?

Old 12-17-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User

Just to clear things up, the term 'fibro-myalgia' actually means 'pain of the muscle fibers'. Fibromyalgia patients suffer from chronic, tenderpoint pains throughout the body. The line which seperates Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a very blurry one and that line may not even really exist. It is entirely possible that Fibromyalgia is simply a subset of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome because many Fibromyalgia patients also suffer from fatigue, post-exertional malaise, flu-like symptoms, and medication intolerances.

I should also mention that both illness are thought to involve a profound impairment of the HPA (stress) axis of the body and brain which leaves us very prone to the detrimental effects of stress. In fact, this has been proven by the CDC for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome specifically, but Fibromyalgia studies are revealing the same abnormalities. My additional thoughts are that our bodies tend to completely overrespond to external stimuli as a defense mechanism against not being able to cope with stress properly, both physical and mental, on a day to day basis. This explains a lot of the symptoms if you think about it closely.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #8
(female)

Whatabookworm HB User

I have both Fibro and Chronic Fatigue, plus Neurofibromatosis. The CFS makes it difficult for me to do anything in our home, i.e., fix regular meals, do laundry, etc.

The pain level from my fibro is aggravated and added to by the NF. My primary care physician allows me to take Vicodin, 10/500. I take two at a time up to three times a day. I also have Vicoprofen, 7.5/200 and can take two of those a day as needed. And let's not even talk about sleep, a little, or a lot, mostly I'm up at all hours and then just when I need to do something I can't keep my eyes open.

My life follows a fairly simple pattern. I am in bed 75-90% of the time. There are good days when it is possible to do a load or two of laundry, sometimes I can even cook a meal that isn't too elaborate. So my world is the four walls of my bedroom. It is quite comfortable, a tv in the corner by the foot of my bed, a large shelving unit has my stereo, CD's and several shelves of books. With a phone just at my elbow and my laptop working on wi-fi I can be quite content (as long as the pain meds are working).

Didn't mean to write so much. My first time here and all.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
(male)

KingFootie HB User
Smile Re: Chronic Fatigue vs. Fibromyalgia

To all,

No doctor has diagnosed me with fibromyalgia, I reached that conclusion on my own. My symptoms are extreme exhaustion, muscle pain and muscle weakness, joint pain, headaches, etc.

I discovered from trial and error that avoiding processed sugar in the forms of sweets, cakes, sodas, etc. reduces the symptoms greatly. In addition to this, I've been taking over-the-counter supplements called, Sam-e (S-adenosylmethionine) 400mg; one in the morning and one at night. I also take one 250mg caplet (coated tablet) of Magnesium three times a day.

These supplements have greatly helped in providing me with more energy, even after consuming sugars, the symptoms are no where near as severe. I also take one Flaxseed oil tablet twice a day, but I'm unsure if that really helps; I also don't know if what works for me will work for you. All I can tell you is that I finally have my life back after four years of misery!

ps.
I got the information about the supplements from an article "Natural Treatments for Fibromyalgia", the article was written by "Cathy Wong".

Last edited by moderator2; 12-26-2006 at 07:33 AM.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:52 AM   #10
(female)

b4cjcll HB User
Question Re: CFS/ME Logged in as b4cjcll and it said so.

Dear Ones, I am a newbie but not to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as I have it since 1998. I do have a question that probably should go around the boards and I definately do not want to break any rules. Doctors, Scientists and Patients, please tell me what it is when you have ulcers in your mouth for 3 going on 4 months? It started out in Sept. as like white spiderwebs down the sides of my cheeks and on my tonggue, and then it went away, well that was for about 1 week and they came back swelling up my tongue on both the left and the right sides, nothin g unsual, no ulcer white or yellow patches, no oozing just swelling and then it went away for a week and came back, well it was in my nose also and I have always gotten these cracks in the corners of my mouth but this time they were part and parcel of the whole package and when they came back this time and the next the ulcers hurt so bad that I thought each time of my husband taking me to the ER for Morphine. It was that severe, but he managed to help me each time to deal with the pain, to rinse and swish with concoctions and the last was a lozenger with something in it for anti-fungus and an ointment for the corners of my mouth and an ointment to go into my nose, so I had to do that. Actually that has cleared, but one of the cracks on the rightside corner of my m outh is now as round as a dime and the other one on the other side is not that big, but both and before my nose healed, are itching like nobodies business. Like chickenpox washed with poison ivy. What is this, does anyone know? I had a church member call and say she had it for a long time (almost a year) in her mouth and in her nose and she has scars in her eyes to date from where she rubbed her eyes after rubbing her mouth with her hands and fingers. I'm glad to know someone who has had it, but what is it? I told my Dr. that I read on Medline Plus that sometimes ulcers can turn into impetigo. So ok. I am going back for bloodwork because when I went last week he was supposed to order it but was not told. I developed Narcolepsy with CFS/ME last fall 2005 as an overlapping disease, please somebody tell me it's due to the fact that my immune system has been kicked by this disease now called that by the CDC! Yippee, that doesn't help my immediate problem. So thank you for reading I have some problems leaving words out and such due to cognitive problems from CFS/ME and I don't wish this on anyone! Blessings to all~~b4cjcll

Old 12-26-2006, 07:12 AM   #11
(female)

b4cjcll HB User
Lightbulb Re: CFS/ME to Mel

MEL I'M THE NEWBIE BUT sorry for thhose caps but the CFS is making me very tired plus the fact I woke up at 2 am and I never do that. Anyway, I have been like that many times, but it's worse now and a I feel as if a switch that when it was turned on, would put into automatic and I always knew what to do and that included as Mary Schweitzer says(a very famous PH.D with ME she lives in Canada) "getting out of bed without thinking of it" I used to do that now the switch is off in my brain and I lie there 1) sit up 2) ok I'm gonna sit up 3) Sat up and now I will turn around and put my feet on the floor. You get the picture? I look at the laundry and think "I used to know how to do that what is wrong with me?" We were just at the lake at the end of July and I was putting on 5 lotions on my body and skincare all over my face and then makeup and now I can't do any of it, it makes no sense to me. The way it started in 1998 (and I know you are a veteran and I'm so glad to meet you if you only knew) it started with severe headaches 24 hours a day 7 days a week which led me to tests, MRI's, Drs. finally Neurontin (can we do that) and then I stabled out for 3 years and then as I said it hit last fall 2005 and I know of no one in my area that has it no one, no friends that I have, no one in church a 1200 member church, no one and you are the first that I have actually said hello to with what I have. I know of Laura Hildebrande and Mary Schweitzer, but have never had a personal hello just read their info. So I pray that you and I can swap stories. Thank you and bless you Mel and tell me your story and how long you've had it and thank you people for having this website. not cool, bad vision LOL!

Last edited by moderator2; 12-26-2006 at 07:32 AM.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:44 AM   #12
(female)

yogachic HB User
Re: CFS/ME Logged in as b4cjcll and it said so.

hi, you had replied to my post in skin problems, i think i found your post you said to read. Your problem sounds totally different than mine. The cracks in the corner of you mouth sounds like angular cheltitis, the dermatologist i seen prescribed me an ointment for that that has a steriod in it and a small amount of anti fungal, that may help that problem you have but all the others I really dont know.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:21 PM   #13
(female)

b4cjcll HB User
Re: CFS/ME Logged in as b4cjcll and it said so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogachic
hi, you had replied to my post in skin problems, i think i found your post you said to read. Your problem sounds totally different than mine. The cracks in the corner of you mouth sounds like angular cheltitis, the dermatologist i seen prescribed me an ointment for that that has a steriod in it and a small amount of anti fungal, that may help that problem you have but all the others I really dont know.
But it hasn't just been the cracks and not just ulcers that don't hurt, they hurt terribly to the place I wanted to go to the ER for a shot. I've never had them like that, and now those cracks which you downplayed, are as big as dime, hurt and itch terribly. The Doc thinks it is impetigo, sometimes that happens after a long bout with severe ulcers. I don't know what it is except that I DO have CFS and it affects the immune system and that I could have a fungus or virus that I can't get rid of because of that. Thank you for your compassion~~Beauty

Old 12-27-2006, 08:32 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

aim4relief HB User

ok ashley i do have a question i have been hearing alot about magnesium iv dropping and some good results have you heard anything more on this. as far as getting hooked on narcotics too late on metadone and vicodin for breakthrough but it is working out to a good point.
trish

Old 12-28-2006, 04:44 AM   #15
(female)

b4cjcll HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel1977
how do you jump start your brain??? I get both the chronic fatigue and chronic pain. I take Ultram for the pain but can't beat the tiredness. I get home from work (3-11pm), I don't like to GO to sleep, so I am up til around three am. then I sleep til 2!!!! I will wake up but not FULL wake up. The kind where you just can't lie there any longer. Of course, my body is yelling at me to get up-my upper back muscles hurt so bad and I toss and turn but my BRAIN won't get going. I can't seem to just GET UP. I need to work out and when I get home from work is a great time-I can do it for a week or so, then it fizzles out. I just don't know. I was taking my zanaflex for two reasons. one, it put me to sleep and two it kept me from tossing and turning. But, I thought it was keeping me asleep too long, but two times I didn't take it and still slept for 12 hours. I may just go back to it to get to bed before three, but jeeze. I am at a loss! I am out all day, and the minute I get home all I want to do is lie down on the couch on my heating pad. I am 29 and had a successful fusion two years ago. I know that was part of it. i used to COOK too, now I can't even hardly fathom the idea. Another reason to get up-make decent meals to take to work.
AHHHHHHH!!!! ANY THOUGHTs?
You are taking ultram for CFS? For the pain in 1998 when I started with CFS, they put me on Neurontin, I had been in pain for almost a year, my headaches were unreal(migranes) and I hurt all over, I had been reading about CFS, and the lady Doc I went to said I had Fibro and I knew I didn't but she wouldn't give me a CFS diag. because she said "you don't have EB". Load of crap. Of course i do, it lies dormant in my body since I had mono in highschool. So I could get mono again! Have you been to the CFIDS of America Website of course I cannot give you the link but if you could find it it would do you a world of good. Plus the CDC. Also, once I got rid of most of my misery then my legs started hurting real bad and I was rubbing them together and rubbing them, so my new Doc put me on Requip. See I'm confused because when i was pregnant with my son they put me on Ultram for contractions? So it's a pain killer,? Shoot, it almost killed me. And as far as the fatigue sweetie, I'm sorry but you can only try to manage that and if you aren't careful, you'll wind up bedridden. CFS can get so bad you can wind up in a wheelchair like Mary Schwietzer an advocate for CFS/ME in Canada who came and spoke to the CDC and CFIDS regarding what happened with her. Can't give you that link either, rats! Oh well. If you get special permission from the main admin for me to give you those links then let me know.? You need some advocacy, education, and support. Bless your heart. Ok gotta zillion emails and things to do, let me know what you think and I'll keep spilling out what I know from my info and experiences. ~~Beauty

Beauty For Christ

Closed Thread