It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 04:31 AM   #1
(female)

taureancloud HB User
Anyone know anything about the Phil Parker Lightning Process?

Hi, does anyone know anything about the Phil parker Lightning process? A friend of mine knows someone who has just tried it and got better but as I find the website rather off putting I am really interested to know if anyone has tried it and what they think of it. The official website is very low on actual details on the process and full of glowing testimonials - more of a sales pitch than anything else. There is no info on what proportion of people have got better using it and it is also very expensive at £560. However actually knowing someone who has just got better after 8 years from using it makes me want to know more. Has anyone tried the process and had successful/unsuccessful results?

Old 12-18-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User
Re: Anyone know anything about the Phil Parker Lightning Process?

I've attempt to talk to several people on the web claiming to have gotten better with the Lightning Process, but I still know close to nothing about this therapy. The reason is that none of these individuals are ever willing to discuss what this therapy entails and when I questioned them on it, they either get extremely defensive about it or steer me straight to the website which also has very little info about it.

To be honset, I feel that this company has solicitors roaming the web trying to convince others to try it which is a rather immoral practice. Nevertheless, whether or not this therapy actually does work, I couldn't say. I do know that CFS is a physical illness with a physical cause. Anything this therapy could do would only involve the psychological and that is NOT the root of this illness, but perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye.

Your best bet would be to talk to your friend's friend about this. If you could ever get that person to come on and discuss it with us, we would all greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 04:20 AM   #3
(female)

taureancloud HB User

Hi, thanks for the response. I have had much the same experience in researching the lightning process on the web which is very offputting. Talking to my friend thats got better was the only really positive input I have had about the process. She is a very nice normal person and was totally unsecretive about it which as you said seems to be strangely typical of most people who have tried it!

Her description was as follows.. LP identifies M.E as a physical illness but works on the premise that the brain controls the entire body by sending millions of messages that we are unaware of e.g to walk your brain is sending messages to your legs. The LP is meant to work to identify the unconscious messages your brain is sending to you body and work to change them. It talks of something called an adrenaline loop which you may have read about from the website, arguing that your unconscious thought processes lead to a continuous over production of adrenaline, which in turn continues your illness.

I would be happier if I could find some research papers or something on the LP website which shows actual clinical tests which have identified this over production of adrenaline. There doesn't seem to be any scientific evidence backing this idea up.

Having said all this, though my predominant feeling about LP is one of cynicism and mistrust, having talked to my friend, I may just have to go for it. Otherwise i think I may always wonder. If I do, I will definately come back on and tell you all how it went.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User

Yes, please do. I'd love to hear a first hand account describing the entire process in detail.

By the way, the 'adrenaline loop' that the website describes is not a new theory at all. The overabundance of adrenaline in response to external stimuli is exactly what occurs in someone with anxiety and panic disorder. These theories do nothing to explain why CFS patients suffer the way they do as our symptoms clearly go way beyond that.

My feeling is that if there is something to the Lightning Process, Phil Parker just borrowed psychological theories to explain it without actually knowing why it does. There can be a BIG difference between the 'theory' as to why something works and the actual reason for it.

Nevertheless, I wish you luck with it and, please, come back and tell us how it goes. Thank you.

Last edited by CFD 333; 12-19-2006 at 05:52 PM.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

aim4relief HB User

what exactly is the lightning process? never heard of it?

Old 12-30-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
(female)

b4cjcll HB User
Thumbs down Re: Anyone know anything about the Phil Parker Lightning Process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taureancloud
Hi, does anyone know anything about the Phil parker Lightning process? A friend of mine knows someone who has just tried it and got better but as I find the website rather off putting I am really interested to know if anyone has tried it and what they think of it. The official website is very low on actual details on the process and full of glowing testimonials - more of a sales pitch than anything else. There is no info on what proportion of people have got better using it and it is also very expensive at £560. However actually knowing someone who has just got better after 8 years from using it makes me want to know more. Has anyone tried the process and had successful/unsuccessful results?
I myself and am very sick at the moment, would say that this is quakery. I have CFS/ME and am concerned, very concerned about his person who has come up with this. And of course this is for the whole group. I have had this illness since 1998 and find it rather frustrating that and again, someone is trying to take advantage of very ill people. Quoting a comment made by CFIDS Association of America, some people recover, most do not. Right now I am in the latter comment, "most do not". There is no known cause for this illness, although there are many thoughts regarding the cause and the main one is not the brain (although right now I'd say "perhaps") but a gene that is disfunctioning with a certain biomarker that after it gets hit by known triggers it turns that biomarker on and we are never the same. Suspiciously Herpes 6 and 7 are triggers, so is EB, so are retroviruses, parvoviruses and the famous Q-virus. A traumatic event can trigger it. Or no event at all. Hershumoto Syndroms (sp?) NMS/PoTs (sp) and many other triggers hitting the same biomarker can set it off. The problem I have is that the CDC is no closer to finding a drug to treat the disease itself and so we remain on drugs that treat symptoms instead of CFS/ME and words such as dysfunction or syndrome continue to be used. Blessings to you all~~b4cjcll
PS symptoms
[url]www.cdc.gov/cfs[/url]

Last edited by Administrator; 04-12-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Do not post unapproved websites

Old 12-31-2006, 02:19 AM   #7
(female)

footeys HB User
Smile Re: Anyone know anything about the Phil Parker Lightning Process?

Hi I'm the mother of a 17 year old who was suffering badly with ME up until we went on the Lightning Process course will Phil Parker at the end of Sept 2006.

My daughter has nevered looked back and now goes from strength to strengh. I don't care how it works but it does and that's all I care about.

Before we went on the course she slept most of the time, dragged herself to school some days but couldn't concentrate, was unable to go out with friends for more than an hour supervised carefully. Generall had fuzzy head all the time and was exhausted. This had been going on for many year and the NHS couldn;t help her at all. We tried alternative treatments but nothing helped much.

A friend heard about the lightning process and we eventually found the site and got on a course. I have nothing more to add to what the course consists of than has been described by previous posts, I'm not sure why that doesn't satisfy people but it accurately describs the course for me. One thing I would say is I researched extensively on the web before we attended. I found lots of postings from people saying it worked for them and lots of people runnng it down and critising information about the course. However the negative posts were from people who hadn't actually attended themselves.

My daughter is now doing great at school, has only had two days off in a term, against two days a week at least previously. She now goes out with friends for hours, we've become a taxi service for her! She goes down to her horses and spends all day working with them and still comes home with energy.

Most importantly she now has a future, she walks upright and smiles and laughs.

Please i don;t have all the answers for anyone, but I can only say it worked for us and was worth every penny.

Happy New Year

Old 01-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
(female)

taureancloud HB User

[QUOTE=OptimusPrimeX]

I'm very interested to know either how your friend is doing so far, or if you are definitely going to try it yourself. Its more convincing having someone still questioning the process while their friend is supposedly doing well. Its more convincing than someone posting on a message board raving how they are better. But in any case, please keep us updated [QUOTE=OptimusPrimeX]

Hi sorry for the delay in replying, christmas and all that

I am still thinking about whether to go for it. My friend is still doing well she says she feels more or less 100% now (she recovered in june by the way) However still feel pretty much the same as I did before. When I talk to her I feel quite positive about it but when i read the website I am really put off. I really don't like the way in which it is presented, it seems unprofessional and untrustworthy. I don't like the way it is presented as a cure for people who 'work hard enough' at it - this just smacks of emotional manipulation of vulnerable ill people. I also emailed one of the practitioners asking for further information and received a really quite egotistical response. I was given some of the info I wanted but was also told that he was surpised I needed more evidence given the media coverage the LP has received, saying he was booked up till April. This seemed a quite ridiculous and unintelligent response; what sane person isn't going to question and research something that costs £560? Again this did not fill me with confidence. And unfortunately, since it does seem like something that you really have to give your all, unless I can get rid of this feeling of faint contempt for the whole shebang I don't think there is much chance of it working for me!

However I still think I probably will end up trying it because I do actually know someone who has seemed to get better using it. Will just have to work myself up into a frenzy of blind optimism..

Last edited by taureancloud; 01-07-2007 at 01:42 PM.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #9
(female)

footeys HB User

Hi i am the mother of the 17 year old who is now much better for the lightning process and I would be happy to answer questions you have. I can assure you that what is described in the previous post did not happen in the course my daughter attended, although I'd be hard pushed to tell you why what they did worked.

I think this is the sort of thing you just have to go on faith, and not look for scientific evidence. Afterall science hasn't helped many ME sufferes.

By the way I'm not in any way contected with Phil Parker I'm just so hapy my daughter is well.

Best of luck

Old 01-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #10
(female)

taureancloud HB User

Hi,
since you have experienced it first hand do you think you could tell me a little more about the actual process? I understand its to do with identifying thought patterns and changing them but do you think you could give an example of what type of thought pattern so I would have a better idea of what i would be asked to do? By the way I have to say that when i talk to my friend I feel positive about the process; I just get very put off by the website.

Congratulations about your daughter!

Old 01-13-2007, 05:35 AM   #11
(female)

footeys HB User
Smile Re: Anyone know anything about the Phil Parker Lightning Process?

Hi, don't worry about the web site. I still feel its a bit marketing driven but I don't care my daughter experience was just like they described on their success stories.

I think one of the reasons why people think those that have attended are funnily about giving out the information is its so hard to explain why it works. But here a few bits

The course talks a lot about what they beleive caues ME and how they think they can train you to get rid of it. It was over 3 days in a very small room with lots of people. for us there was 5 students plus a number of their carers, plus lots of support people. The first two mornings are very intence and they send you off in the afternoon to practice and do more than you otherwise would. Everyone did well.

the second day and the third also covered how to keep going when you get home and how to avoid going back to your old ways. Avoiding anchor points was the best bit of advise we got, those are place where you 'do' ME, eg in bed. Telephone support is offered when you get home and I recommend that too. Its easy to slip into old ways when you get home. Claire only needed one session.

Its difficult to describe the process they teach you. If I tell you wrong I won't be helping you so best left to them when you get there.

Be brave, go for it and be very positive before, during and after. I won't wish you good luck, just work hard.

When are you going I'd love to know how you get on.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:57 AM   #12
(male)

itaintalld&g HB User

Hi,

Anyone have any more information on the LP?
I've just sent an application form off to try it, on behalf of the wife. It'd be great to hear from anyone else who has tried it.

On the application form you had to grade your level of debilitation from 1-10, I think. Is there anyone out there whose taken it who was at the poor end of the scale (1-2)?

On a side note, if it was a load of mumbo jumbo, would we not have some of the "failures" posting to such boards as this? Just a thought!

Old 01-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #13
(female)

taureancloud HB User

I am currently filling in the application form too. It's taking me a while to complete though because, ironically, I keep running out of energy Will definately let everyone know how it goes though when I do complete it. Thanks for the info btw footseys, that was helpful, cheers!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:44 AM   #14
(male)

HowieMel HB User

I am currently falling deeper and deeper into a fatigue hole myself and was interested to read about this process.. However that is where the problem lies, there are no details I can find anywhere that actually explain the process or give ANY idea how it works it what happens. Very strange and cultish feel to it with "Phil Parker" as a Jesus type character with special powers; but who supplies no stats as to who has recovered. And those who failed are dismissed as "not trying hard enougth. If this man "Phil Parker" has found a miracle cure for us all then he is cruel to profit from the hell so many people are in. At least he might allow a better description of how it works to be released to potential "customers". Call me cynical, but I have spent the past few hours researching it online and have only learnt a few things. 1: It is a miracle cure but if it doesn't work then it is the fault of the person for not trying: It is £560 plus any travelling and accomadation expenses one might incur (at least £1000 then for a 3 day seminar if you dont live in London): 2: It has something to do with "thinking" and thus controlling adrenaline??: 3: The supporters of it give no details whatsoever of what happened at the seminars, but say things like "I couldnt get out of bed for 10 years but within 2 days with Phil I was running 3 miles": 4: And here you must forgive me if I sound too cynical, but it's supporters also seem to repeat themselves. I have for example seen a "women with a 17 year old daughter" support the programme on several different forums under several different names.

I would love to see one of its supporters write a full account here of what happened and what they were told / did at the seminar. You paid £560 and were cured, it was your money did you sign some sort of document saying you wouldnt tell anyone what went on at the seminar? If I paid all that money and had three days in London that changed my life I would be the first to write a 10,000 word confession to share my joy with the world. Why not share at least an outline, then maybe more people will pay Phil.

In the meantime back to Hell for most of us, while "Phil" goes to the bank and all those people who it didnt suceed because they "didnt try hard enougth" are silently shamed from yet another quack robbing them as they try to recover from a serious illness.

I have just done a bl*g search on this technique and have found lots of people writing about it as a miracle, though again my cynicism kicks in. For example one person writing called there journal "recovery from M.E": It has about 10 entries the first few about how ill they felt, then the process then a few about how great life was, then it ended?

Last edited by HowieMel; 01-15-2007 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Extra info

Old 01-15-2007, 11:43 AM   #15
(female)

LMRR HB User

I'm tempted but we are really broke at the mo cause I've been off sick for 6 months. I don't mind spending the money if it works but I'd be most gutted if it doesn't. I just don't know what to do

Closed Thread