It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

softerthanrain HB User
possible cfs?

hi everyone! my name's hayley and i am an 18 year old student. i've been suffering from some pretty strange symptoms that my mom (who was an ER nurse for 20 years) believes might be contributed to CFS.

back in november, i experienced extremely painful tonsillitis. the symptoms were not relieved with three rounds of antibiotics and the only thing that made the swelling go remotely down was being placed on steroids (went through three rounds of those as well). i was in the hospital the night i came home for winter break because the lymph nodes in my neck and torso area swelled up really bad to the point where they were really painful to the touch.

i then saw an ent because the size of my tonsills was more than i could handle on a daily basis. he immeadiately believed i had mono and had bloodwork done. i came back negative for mono, but bloodwork came back strange. my lymphocytes were low and my neutrophils were high. i also had a sed rate done, which was high (53). the ent told me to see either a rhumatologist or an infectious disease doctor. so, i'm making an appointment with an internist very soon if some of my symptoms do not fade.

since being back at school, the swelling in my tonsills has gone down signifigantly, but i still have off and on headaches that are very strange and random (mind you, i never suffered from headaches in my life and now they're almost three times a day, sometimes five). i used to be able to stay up into all hours of the night and wake up fine with two hours of sleep. i'm finding myself extremely groggy upon waking and just out of it all day. walking back from class is exhausting when it never had been before.

i know there are many "could this be cfs" threads, but i'm curious. do my symptoms sound related to cfs and if so, what are some of the treatment options?

thank you so much guys! i appreciate your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
(female)

shelovescliche HB User
Re: possible cfs?

Well, headaches and fatigue are common, as are swollen glands--though those could also contribute to various other conditions.

Whenever I start feeling worse, the glands in my neck swell, and when I actually have a virus, I can barely move it.

When they were trying to figure out what I had (I had a mono-like virus, but I never recovered) my sed (I think it was sed?) was a bit elevated when I went to the infectious disease doctor, but it wasn't alarmingly so.

Some people do have recurrent infections in CFS, or so I've heard--as far as I know, I don't have any infections, but I've talked to other people who do.

Maybe you should see more doctors, infectious disease, whoever else might be able to figure it out.

CFS symptoms are EXTREMELY vague. Several of them can be applied to viruses, or any number of other things, so it's vital that you check out every possible answer before you think of CFS.

If there are some relatively abnormal things coming up in your tests, you should check everything else out first, because people are only diagnosed with CFS unless everything else has been eliminated as a possible answer--it's not foolproof, obviously, since so many people get misdiagnosed, but it's just important for you to get as much information as possible :].

I know how it feels to be so young--I'm seventeen now, and I've had CFS since I was fifteen.

Closed Thread