It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
(male)

HowieMel HB User
Echinacea and Zinc

I am four months into this awful fatigue and have got a referral to a fatigue clinic. However in the meantime I have been working on my original doctors diagnosis that my problem is due to a weak immune system and decided to take supplements applicable to that problem. Does anyone here have any advice / experience of taking the edge off their problems with Zinc and Echinacea?

Old 02-15-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
(female)

Ruby-Amethyst HB User
Re: Echinacea and Zinc

Hi, I take both of those supplements, plus lots of vitamin C which is also good for the immune system, and a good multivitamin. If you suffer from extra bugs, viruses, colds etc, then these may help lessen them - though unfortunately from personal experience, it hasn't eradicated them. I'm afraid it hasn't done much for the fatigue etc though, as it seems the weakened immune system is a result of the ME. Good luck though, anything that strengthens your resistance is worth a go!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
(female)

catwoman! HB User

Sorry to hear you're feeling bad -- but I must beg to differ. IF CFS is due to an auto-immune problem, then taking echinacea, which BOOSTS the immune system, would definitely be counter-productive! When your immune system is busy turning against your own tissue, you definitely don't want to help it do that by making your immune system stronger.

I'd stay off the echinacea. Have no idea about the zinc.

Good luck!

Gigi

Old 05-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
(female)

lightnerbride HB User

I only take when I first feel like I'm coming down with cold/flu and then stop as soon as I feel it's gone. I'm not sure if it would help enough to make taking it all the time, but somethings work for some and not the other! I do like Co-enzyme Q 10 for more energy. It takes at least 1 month before you even notice slight improvement, it took me 2 months to notice anything.
Good Luck

Old 06-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
(female)

stac8454 HB User

Vitamin B Complex helps fatigue.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
(female)

Lori1975 HB User

Yes, I have found B complex to be somewhat helpful in treating my fatigue. Fatigue and joint pain have been the two most debilitating issues I have dealt with since being diagnosed with scleroderma. Thank you, Lori

Old 06-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
(female)

desperate1 HB User

Bcomplex and B12 do not help me, unfortunately. My doctor is putting me on adderall.
Zinc doesn't help either, but my skin has never looked better so I'm going to continue to take it!

Old 06-06-2007, 01:26 AM   #8
(female)

diddy_di HB User

Yep,I too have tried various supplements.Magnesium,yeast free B.complex and astragalus which is a chinese herb for boosting the immune system.Although I do agree with a previous post in that I was concerned if I was boosting an immune system that was already over active.Nobody seems to know for sure if it is an auto-immune problem.I can't say I felt any effects so I don't bother now as I eat fairly healthily anyway.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #9
(female)

yasmine_whyatt HB User

I take echinacia to boost my imune system and find that it really does help. It also assists in warding off colds and viruses. My naturopath, however, advises taking it for 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. I'm not entirely sure why, but apparently that's the best way to take it long-term.

Closed Thread