It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
(male)

cake_2 HB User
My Chronic Fatigue: Anyone Else Similar?

I'm 20 and male.

I've always been fit, active and healthy. In December '05 I was fitter than ever before. I was mountain biking about 150Km per week at high intensity (in addition to doing weights on the off days) and my resting heart rate was in the low 40s. At the time I probably wasn't eating quite enough (although my diet was good) and I lost a few kilos. I had recently been on a trip to Cairns (in the north of Australia) for about 3 days.

All of a sudden in the middle of December I felt extremely physically tired, moreso than ever before in my life. I suspected it could be a virus, although I had no other symptoms other than the fatigue. I also suspected perhaps I had been overdoing it.

After a few days of not doing much I felt a little better, but that's as good as it's been since. It seems to be getting progressively worse slowly.

My major symptom is the extreme physical fatigue which seems to be worst in (though not confined to) my legs. I don't particularly feel like I need to sleep more, although due to the profound physical fatigue I spend a lot more time lying down which inevitably leads to increased sleeping. I have low grade muscle aches and pains which I attribute to increased lactic acid production and build-up.

I also have irritable bowel type symptoms (including wheat, dairy, soy, coffee sensitivities) which I've had since October '04 and which have not changed since the onset of the fatigue. Again, this began suddenly and I cannot recall a precipitating event.

I have occasional bouts of orthostatic hypotension which I've had throughout my life.

I've been irritable and depressed which goes beyond simple frustration at the illness. My relationships (particularly with my parents) have subsequently become somewhat strained and i'm unsure if they'll ever recover to where they were previously.

I've had frequent tests, and other than an elevated IgE (attributed to an asymptomatic dust mite allergy - treatment of which has not improved symptoms of fatigue) there appears to be nothing physically wrong with me. I've tested negative for all of the common fatigue-inducing viruses (eg Epstein Barr) and also negative for parasites. I've never had swollen or sore lymph nodes, fevers or sore throats, and I don't seem to get sick very often although I have had 3 ear infections in the last year despite not having had one for at least 10 years previously. I sleep for at least 8 hours a night.

My weight has been relatively constant throughout this affliction, though I did put on a few kilos to see if I felt better but to no avail.

I've tried all the usual supplements/drugs/regimes eg antidepressants, magnesium supplements, zinc, high dose vitamins, elimination diets, licorice root powder, protein powders, glutamine and creatine powder, antihistamines and even Flagyl antibiotics (to eradicate a potentially undiagnosed parasitic infection).

Nothing has helped.

I don't consider myself to be one of the worst cases. I can still go out and participate in moderate exercise (eg walking - of which I do as much as I can within reason) although recovery from such physical activity is poor. Anything higher in intensity than walking causes significant muscle burning (eg lactic acid production) and usually increased fatigue for several days. Although as I mentioned, I am experiencing a disturbing downward trend in my condition.

Has anyone else had a similar type of fatigue? Can anyone suggest anything that has helped them?

Feel free to discuss/describe your particular experiences even if they aren't particularly similar to mine if you feel like it.

Thanks to anyone who bothers to read my wordy thread.

Last edited by cake_2; 02-28-2007 at 09:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 03:37 AM   #2
(female)

welshbabe HB User
Re: My Chronic Fatigue: Anyone Else Similar?

Hi Cake.
Yes I can definitely empathise witht he aching legs etc. As you say I'm sure its the lactic acid.
Have had it in the arms and legs last few days but not done anything to cause it (sure its a little infection somewhere!).
I find a good soak helps - or perhaps its a rub down with thetowels after that gets the lymph moving!
Sorry you're not improving - it does sound like post viral (even with negative tests - mine were too).
Try not to overdo the exercise - your body needs some eb=nergy inreserve to heal (and look at me - the expert - 10yrs down the line!!).
I'm sure the problems with your parents arn't irreversable. Parental love is very fogiving you know. Try telling them about your helsth - perhaps they don't know how bad you feel sometimes.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

Cake,

Yes, this does sound as if it could be CFS. Also, have you considered Lyme Disease, since you seem to be outdoors a lot? Lyme can be transmitted by vectors other than ticks. Many now think that CFS is actually a symptomology of Lyme.

There is no magic bullet. If there was one there would not be people suffering in epidemic proportions. Most people try to treat the symptoms as they arise. Also, try not to push yourself too hard as a decifient immune system cannot easily recover from exhaustion. I would also do a lot of research on both of these conditions - CFS and Lyme to see if you think you fit the definitions. You might want to also visit the Lyme board here.

I know how it feels to be athletic and then not able to do much of anything. I can sympathize!

All the best!

Old 03-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
(male)

cake_2 HB User

Thanks for the replies.

I've been convinced for sometime that what I have is CFS. I've noticed that people here describe a wide variety of symptoms and each person's condition is different. The reason for my post was to see if anyone else has had a similar set of symptoms to mine. This is mainly because it seems quite uncommon to have chronic fatigue in the absence of flu-like symptoms such as enlarged/painful lymph nodes, mild fever, recurring sore throats and a general flu-like malaise. In addition, poor concentration or brain fog seems nearly ubiquitous and frequent illness or a compromised immune system/response seems to also be very common. Also, there is often a precipitating event such as an illness or period of great stress. As I have had none of these symptoms I've just mentioned, nor a specific precipitating event or illness my condition seems to be slightly unusual. Does this strike anyone else as a slightly atypical presentation?

Last edited by cake_2; 03-01-2007 at 08:07 PM.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:51 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

Cake,

I don't think that anything you have reported sounds atypical. I have experienced both situations - chronic fatigue with flu-like symptoms and chronic fatigue without flu-like symptoms. I have also heard of non flu-symptoms reported by others. Further, I have also encountered many (in the past 16 years that I've had CFS/Lyme) who report an onset that seems to come from "out of the blue" just as you describe. I really don't think there are any "typicals" when it comes to this illness

What I think is frustrating you is the feeling of not knowing for sure what you are dealing with? Correct me if I'm wrong. This illness does fall into nebulous territory. It is frustrating not having absolutes, but I think if you continue your research and employ your intuition as well you will arrive at a better understanding of what you are dealing with, something you will feel you can trust.

Are there any practitioners in your area - Allopathic or Alternative types - who might assist you in making a determination? I have actually found that forums, communicating with those who have similar experiences, have supplied me with the most astute and useful information. This is my true knowledge base.

Ballady

Old 03-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
(female)

catwoman! HB User

Dear Cake,

Your situation is indeed very disturbing, and must be terribly frustrating for you. Although I don't have what you have (I think), I was so taken with your plea for help and understanding that I did feel moved to respond -- and you are still so young... this must be terrible for you!

I have lupus, and joined this forum for the lupus board. My main symptom, I guess since six years prior to my diagnosis, was and remains fatigue, so I came here to see how some others in my boat are coping. It always seems like nobody deals well with fatigue -- it's so vague and insubstantial that nobody around us can SEE the problem, and yet we feel we have suddenly been robbed of our power to be US! Of the power to do for ourselves, the power to get an idea and see it through... we feel like we are the walking dead! And that wasn't in our plans!

You are still so much at the beginning of this problem, that I'm sure you haven't even completely wrapped your brain around it. Acceptance is still a long way away for you.

Let me say some concrete things, however. You say that you still walk within reason, but recovery from physical activity is poor. Doesn't that tell you anything? That, perhaps, you shouldn't be doing it? Now, stay with me for a while... I know you've been used to living an exceptionally athletic life, so this drastic change probably feels just horrific to you, and the last thing you want to hear is that life isn't ever going to be the same -- AND I HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT(!) -- but there is a chance that it won't. So, with that as a preface, let me tell you that for lupus patients, we are told NEVER to push ourselves. Since I am of the opinion that there is a cause for CFS, that it's not some vague thing, but that there is a real, physical, medical reason for it (that has just not be identified, yet), and that it probably is also of the auto-immune variety (immune system attacking it's own tissue instead of an antigen), I think the same advice goes for people with CFS. The reason we are not to push ourselves is this: you are not using your former, normal energy when you push yourself -- you are deploying your adrenal glands to pump adrenaline (epinephrine) and cortisol, your "fight-or-flight" hormones, in order to accomplish whatever you're doing. They are our stress hormones. Lupus patients are told that stress has an immediate negative effect on our disease, and is one of the main causes for triggering flare-ups. (And since cortisone--prednisone--which is synthetic cortisol, is one of the best immune system suppressants, and is used for the treatment of lupus, you can see how intimately these hormones are involved in immune function and thus, the disease process.) Ergo, pushing yourself when you have any illness is a bad idea, and when you have an auto-immune illness, it's perilous.

Do not go on those walks when you don't feel up to it. Your fatigue is your body telling you it must have the rest it craves. As an athlete, you are probably used to pushing through the fatigue, and often beyond endurance, and heck, for healthy people, more power to them! But you can't do this if you have CFS. It would be stupid. You don't sound stupid. You sound like you are frustrated, and insulted, and outraged, and angry, and all those things we all felt when we got sick. You have every right to those feelings.

Don't take this out on your parents. They didn't cause it, and if they don't understand it yet, they will come to understand. They know you, and know you are not the type to just lie down. You must keep trying to explain to them that you didn't ask for this, and you don't want it, either. Eventually, especially if they do a little research, they'll come to understand. Turn your anger at the disease, not at your parents. And eventually, you can turn your anger toward some positive outlet -- like starting a support group, or writing about your experience to others, but that's down the road. It's ok to be thoroughly ******, right now. I'm sure you are.

One more thing -- as a former athlete and dancer and Type A myself, I know all about lactic acid, and the way that particular pain feels. I have muscle aches now, too, frequently in the legs, sometimes in the arms, or even fingers, but they are lupus pains. They are inexplicable to doctors -- they know lupus patients have them, but they don't know what causes them. I think it has to do with disease activity -- since the immune-complexes (a white blood cell having 'swallowed' a cell, or nucleus, or nuclear materical; pieces of DNA, etc.) tend to get stuck in connective tissue, there's good reason to suspect it might cause some really weird pains. I describe the pain as "squeaky door" pains, and usually they pulsate down the affected limb, but in a 'thin' manner. My son, who has not been diagnosed but who has a positive ANA, and has been diagnosed with 'undifferentiated connective tissue disease' (frequently a precurse to a lupus diagnosis), describes the pain as something that feels like someone is holding a sinew in his arm, and starts pulling it, releasing it, pulling it, etc. The pulsations are similar to that of our heart beats. I believe we have the same pains, just a different way of describing them. His began when he was eighteen, and so did mine. I don't know if this helps -- if your pains feel anything like this, but I did want to suggest that maybe they are not a product of lactic acid production. Maybe that's what you thought because it's what you are familiar with.

There is even a chance that you might have lupus. For many years, the fatigue was my only symptom. It wasn't until after my particularly stressful divorce, and being given sulpha drops for an eye "infection" (sulpha drugs are contra-indicated for someone with lupus), that I had the major flare-up that allowed for the diagnosis. The irony is that the eye problem wasn't an infection at all -- it was a symptom of my low-grade, undiagnosed lupus! During this period, I also didn't know I had an illness, and I tried pushing myself through all of this fatigue, and eventually, pain, and I wasn't going to be a hypochondriac, etc., and I pushed myself right into a life-threatening flare-up. So maybe you could suggest being tested for lupus (although there is no one, definitive test, and testing negative never means you won't test positive down the road), because these tests are not performed in the standard blood workup.

I wish you luck, and with all my heart I hope this is something passing, and you aren't really ill at all, and it will all go away. But all of the information you are getting on this board should certainly help you somewhat, even if it's just to get through this period. There are people here who understand what you are going through, even if the people in your life can't. That's not their fault. So come here when you need propping up.

Good luck, my friend!

Gigi

Old 03-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
(male)

SummerDrivinsun HB User

Hi Cake. I started with what I thought to be the flu in February of 2004.
A month and half went by and It was the same.
It seemed to fade but then came back by April of 2004 and has been horrible.
I had and still have at times the brain fog,dizziness and weird dreams.
I cannot eat carbohydrates like I used to because they make me fee worse.
Proteins and veggies really help.
It sounds like you were pretty atheletic.
I was too. It seems like you just cannot keep up with the normal activies.
I have relapsed about 41 times and the relapses are almost like starting from square one.
You have to eat right for a long time to feel better.
You also have to love yourself. This disease is so nasty and debilitating.
Try vitamin B-stress formula with extra vit.C, Cats Claw herb, St.Johns Wart herb. A good multi-vitamin. Keep on exercising even if you don't feel like it so you can stay fit. It's very important.
I know about 3 people that have chronic fatigue and years later are fairly functional.
The brain fog and dizziness is so bad at times that I have to hold on to the walls and racks at a store.
I came out of the store one time and forgot what car we came in and could not find my friends. It was very scarry.
I wil pore a glass of mile and walk in the other room with the gallon and leave the glass on the counter or put the phone in the fridge.
The disorientation is some times part of it.
Do you have trouble swallowing or breathing?
Start banging on doors to find a Dr. that treats chonic fatigue and try not to take the anti anxiety and anti deppressants some of them will offer.
They talked me into trying that stuff and it made me more anxious.
I just try to eat right,exercise and rest a real lot.
Does the top of your head ever feel numb. Do you feel like you are on the verge of passing out?
Those are a couple more symptoms I have.
Keep on kickin' it. You have to love yourself brother.Peace,Summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_2 View Post
I'm 20 and male.

I've always been fit, active and healthy. In December '05 I was fitter than ever before. I was mountain biking about 150Km per week at high intensity (in addition to doing weights on the off days) and my resting heart rate was in the low 40s. At the time I probably wasn't eating quite enough (although my diet was good) and I lost a few kilos. I had recently been on a trip to Cairns (in the north of Australia) for about 3 days.

All of a sudden in the middle of December I felt extremely physically tired, moreso than ever before in my life. I suspected it could be a virus, although I had no other symptoms other than the fatigue. I also suspected perhaps I had been overdoing it.

After a few days of not doing much I felt a little better, but that's as good as it's been since. It seems to be getting progressively worse slowly.

My major symptom is the extreme physical fatigue which seems to be worst in (though not confined to) my legs. I don't particularly feel like I need to sleep more, although due to the profound physical fatigue I spend a lot more time lying down which inevitably leads to increased sleeping. I have low grade muscle aches and pains which I attribute to increased lactic acid production and build-up.

I also have irritable bowel type symptoms (including wheat, dairy, soy, coffee sensitivities) which I've had since October '04 and which have not changed since the onset of the fatigue. Again, this began suddenly and I cannot recall a precipitating event.

I have occasional bouts of orthostatic hypotension which I've had throughout my life.

I've been irritable and depressed which goes beyond simple frustration at the illness. My relationships (particularly with my parents) have subsequently become somewhat strained and i'm unsure if they'll ever recover to where they were previously.

I've had frequent tests, and other than an elevated IgE (attributed to an asymptomatic dust mite allergy - treatment of which has not improved symptoms of fatigue) there appears to be nothing physically wrong with me. I've tested negative for all of the common fatigue-inducing viruses (eg Epstein Barr) and also negative for parasites. I've never had swollen or sore lymph nodes, fevers or sore throats, and I don't seem to get sick very often although I have had 3 ear infections in the last year despite not having had one for at least 10 years previously. I sleep for at least 8 hours a night.

My weight has been relatively constant throughout this affliction, though I did put on a few kilos to see if I felt better but to no avail.

I've tried all the usual supplements/drugs/regimes eg antidepressants, magnesium supplements, zinc, high dose vitamins, elimination diets, licorice root powder, protein powders, glutamine and creatine powder, antihistamines and even Flagyl antibiotics (to eradicate a potentially undiagnosed parasitic infection).

Nothing has helped.

I don't consider myself to be one of the worst cases. I can still go out and participate in moderate exercise (eg walking - of which I do as much as I can within reason) although recovery from such physical activity is poor. Anything higher in intensity than walking causes significant muscle burning (eg lactic acid production) and usually increased fatigue for several days. Although as I mentioned, I am experiencing a disturbing downward trend in my condition.

Has anyone else had a similar type of fatigue? Can anyone suggest anything that has helped them?

Feel free to discuss/describe your particular experiences even if they aren't particularly similar to mine if you feel like it.

Thanks to anyone who bothers to read my wordy thread.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:28 AM   #8
(male)

cake_2 HB User

Wow. Thanks for the replies everyone.

A few things:

First, yes, you're correct Catwoman, I am very ****** off, frustrated, sad etc, but I don't take it out on my parents as it might sound. It's more of a case of not really wanting to talk to/see anyone and being less communicative which as a result people often misinterpret as hostility (which I assure them It's not). Anyhow, I think they've realised now that it's a symptom of my condition and they're more understanding.

As I said, my recovery from exercise is poor. But I've found that mainly applies to more intense exercise or walking excessively. I've found that walking at the amount I do doesn't affect how I feel overall. So even though I may not particularly feel like walking one day, if I make myself do it, I don't feel worse the next day. In addition, I've always found that exercise is something I need to do to be happy. As my volume of exercise decreases, the depression and negative emotions increase proportionately.

It sounds as if all of you have other symptoms that I do not. As I mentioned, I don't feel like I have "brain fog", disorientation, or poor concentration. I don't have trouble with swallowing or breathing and the top of my head never feels numb. Sometimes I go through a few weeks of orthostatic hypotension, which sometimes causes headspins and temporary loss of vision upon standing so severe I start to shake for a few seconds and almost pass out. The muscle pain I have doesn't sound similar to what you described Catwoman. Although it is interesting that you described a progression from suffering primarily fatigue to the whole spectrum of symptoms. I'm pretty sure I've tested negative for Lupus, but I might have to double-check that.

SummerDrivinsun, thanks for the diet tips. I have found that a high protein and low carb diet including a few protein powder shakes a day does seem to help me sometimes, but my fatigue often relapses even though I stick to the diet. Overall I've found that diet has little effect on my fatigue. The same is true for vitamins and other supplements.

Anyway, it's nice to communicate with everyone here. I can't imagine how bad it must be for all of you - most of you describe fatigue and other symptoms worse than mine and have been suffering for many years. I haven't think I've fully accepted that mine could last that long and should that happen, I don't think I'd like to continue living. All of you must have great willpower.

Last edited by cake_2; 03-06-2007 at 01:34 AM.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:50 AM   #9
(female)

catwoman! HB User

Well, Cake, I'm glad you are at least communicating here. I understand that you may have withdrawn, and turned inward, when this bewildering affliction hit you. That is a common reaction, especially in men. Becoming so weak and fatigued practically overnight is the antithesis of what any man wants! You build your self-image on physical prowess, and suddenly it's all taken away through no fault of your own! Certainly you've always lived your life to be as strong and healthy as you can control. Then something outside of your control happens, and instantly undoes all that good work -- yeah, an almost unbearable situation, to be sure.

Maybe when something so world-shakingly devastating happens, it's time to take a page out of the women's playbook -- and start talking. No one is going to think less of you if you are struck down by an illness. The people who know and love you (yeah, even your male friends love you) know that you are not this person who suddenly doesn't do anything anymore. If you just disappear out of their lives, without a word, then the rumor mill will fill the vacuum with stories. Someone might suggest that you might be depressed, and by the time this is repeated by the third person, it has become fact. So one good reason to start talking might be to just put the truth out there. But the main reason is that you'd be surprised by how much support there is, also. And you are in NEED of this emotional support! My god, you've been hit with a life-altering illness! You would offer your support if this had happened to one of your friends! You might not understand at first, but if that friend would open up and talk to you about it, you would learn. You might even research a bit on the web, to learn a bit more. Well, hopefully the same will be done for you.

One word of advice (as if the above wasn't advice!), when you have an illness of uncertain origin and no treatment or cure, people will come out of the woodwork to offer you "cures." I can't begin to count the many cures, treatments, diets, and wonder drugs I've been offered. I advise you to look at all of them with suspicion. For one, people with our types of illnesses are such easy prey -- we're looking for answers and cures, the medical establisment can't offer one, and our illnesses are subject to flare-ups and remissions. What a great opportunity for someone to exploit! So if someone stands to gain from their advice, beware! Then there are people who mean well, but who are easily persuaded. I do not subscribe to macrobiotics, homeopathic "medicines," magnet therapy, or any of the other, unproven, remedies and treatments that many people swear by. Most of those people do not really delve into their origin -- typically they are swept away either by a charismatic person or by grand rhetoric; words that make claims that sound like facts, but when analyzed, are fundamentally meaningless. If you want to look into the origins of some medical claims you find questionable, go to quackwatch. I wish more people would.

Oh, one more thing, testing negative for lupus doesn't mean you don't have it. Since there is no one test anyway, it takes many different kinds of tests, administered over a lengthy period, along with a case history of your symptoms, to come up with a diagnosis. On average, it takes six years to diagnose. Since we lupus patients have the factors that point to it floating around our blood only sometimes, and sometimes more of it than other times, it is a hit-or-miss test, anyway. The best test is the ANA (anti-nuclear-antibody), although it is also far from perfect. People without lupus can test positive too (although some say that's only because they haven't been diagnosed, yet!), and a negative test doesn't mean no lupus. I just want you to keep it in mind, so that you can keep mentioning it to doctors when you're being tested. They don't always think of lupus. And you should be tested for it for many years, even if your symptoms get better or go away. I hope you don't have it.

BTW, no diet has ever had any effect on my lupus, either. The only thing we are told to avoid is alfalfa. That has been shown to trigger flare-ups. And fish oil helps. But that's it, as far as diet is concerned.

Oh, I just reread your post before posting this, and I'm glad I did. Your final thoughts are one of the reasons I wanted to post again. "Willpower?" No, it's not that. Maybe it's fear. Maybe it's that with acceptance, it becomes easier. You are far from acceptance. You are still at the very beginning, hit with this horror, in disbelief, and probably still very reluctant to believe this is really happening to you. This wasn't a part of your plan for your life! This wasn't even on the horizon! I understand. I also understand how depressing it is. I am on anti-depressants, and I am grateful for them. Frankly, often I feel that my life s#cks big time! And I have no need to be here, anymore. There have been times when I felt I was like a plant, that needs to be watered, period. I've told my husband on several occasions that my body is many years past its expiration date. I am alive today through the 'miracles' of modern medicine, but WHAT kind of life, is it? So you see, I understand those feelings of yours, also. In my mind, I would like to believe that I will be able to dance and skate again, and if not that, at least stand at my easel and paint, again! And perhaps there is always that tiny bit of hope that this will be true, and I hang on. But mostly I hang on because my husband and two grown sons want me here. So I have found something that I CAN do while living on the couch. I do digital graphics, animation, and digital portrait painting. I will even be teaching it at the Visual Arts Academy in starting in May. So I have found something that keeps me creative, and useful, and that is satisfying in some respects.

When I start feeling sorry for myself, I think of all the people who are far worse off than I am, and it makes me ashamed. When I think of someone like Stephen Hawking, who is living with a greater disability than I could ever face, who is nearly only a brilliant mind in a completely non-functioning body, and who has done more with his life than most able-bodied people ever could, then I am ashamed. And this is what has gotten me to this point... the point where I am still here. Remember that you are now in a major transition period, and that is always the worst time to make any major decisions. At least wait a few years... you never know... maybe you will do great things with your life -- or maybe you will actually find that what you have is curable, and not CFS at all! So, do not despair. You owe that to all the people who love you.

All my best, really,

Gigi

Last edited by catwoman!; 03-07-2007 at 04:24 AM. Reason: May have had something that's not allowed in my text.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
(female)

bailey11 HB User

Hi Cake,

I hope you're making some progress with your health. I will make this short and sweet, but your chronic fatigue could possibly be coming from Candida. Candida has many symptoms, some suffer many of them, some only a few. Check out the symptoms and see if you can relate to any of them. As soon as I started to treat myself, my energy levels lifted within a few days, although not always the case for alot of people. It's the balance of the good bacteria and bad bacteria in your gut. If it is drastically unbalanced it can cause so many terrible symptoms, I hope I've been of some help : )

Old 03-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #11
(male)

cake_2 HB User

Thanks bailey11.

How do you treat yourself for Candidiasis? I've heard about oregano oil, but that's really hard to get here.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:44 AM   #12
(female)

bailey11 HB User

Hi Cake,

Did you look up 'candida symptoms' to see if you could relate to some of them? If so...then I would advise you to give it a go, as you have nothing to loose but everything to gain. How did I treat myself you asked? Well I went to a highly recommended local herbalist/health coach that runs her own health store. And she gave me a product to try. There are diet restrictions whilst taking them, along with a high potency acidophilus tablet. The diet states to stay away from white sugars, vinegar, soy and especially yeast. It's a back to the basics diet along with the treatment, but I felt a million dollars afterwards until I started to neglect myself again it all came back. So I am once again back to taking the tablets. I'll probably stay on them for life. If you do some searchs on the internet such as Candida symptoms, or cures for candida, there is alot of help out there and information. I am not aloud to mention product names, and what pills I am taking here in New Zealand will more than likely not be available outside of New Zealand. But I have heard of other products that work also by doing some research on the internet.
If you give this a proper go, and there are no results, try looking into a wheat or gluten allergy, that too can have some horrible side effects, goodluck and let us know how you do : )

Old 03-10-2007, 03:39 AM   #13
(male)

cake_2 HB User

Bailey, I've read a bit about candidiasis and I definitely seem to have some of the symptoms. I've recently seen a doctor who suggested it as a possibility among other things. He recommended the oregano oil (apparently there is some scientific research suggesting it has potent antibiotic properties) along with the Atkins-type diet (low carbohydrate, especially simple sugars) and avoiding yeast, alcohol, fermented foods and any foods to which one is intolerant. I've been a bit sceptical about candidiasis as a cause of CFS because so many other doctors don't officially recognize it as a legitimate condition. I also put off the candidiasis treatment regime because the oregano oil is virtually unavailable in Australia. But I've realised (as you mentioned) that I have nothing to lose, and as I've almost exhausted all other possibilities I decided to order some from the US. Also, in the past, I'm fairly convinced that a high protein, low carbohydrate diet gave me some relief from the fatigue so perhaps there is something to it. I'll let you know how I feel in a few weeks.

As for the wheat/gluten allergy, I've tested negative for Celiac's disease, but since I find that i'm somewhat intolerant of wheat, I avoid eating all wheat products anyway.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #14
(female)

Calla_Lily HB User

hi cake,
just throwing this out for another possibility: have you ever been tested for celiac disease? if left untreated it can cause a whole host of odd symptoms. treated, the patients can return to "normal". since you mentioned IBS-like symptoms and also problems with various foods, as well as depression (all symptoms of celiac) i thought this might be a plausible explanation. at least it is a treatable illness. (it is considered to be an autoimmune disease) good luck to you in your search for a diagnosis.

Last edited by Calla_Lily; 03-15-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:24 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User

Hi Cake,
Your condition and onset sounds almost identical to mine.

Until 4 years ago, I was cycling 10 – 15 miles per day, and sometimes 50 or so. I was very active in every area, traveled 100% for my job as a director for a fortune 100 company.

One day, a few hours after biking 18 miles with a friend in the morning, I started feeling more tired than usual. After a few days, I could hardly stand for more than 30 seconds, because of the fatigue.

Tests showed I was hypothyroid, and I started meds for that. However, the meds never fully cleared up the problem. It is typical for thyroid patients to not get back to 100%, but all doctors agree there is more to my case, and now believe it is CFS.

I have tested negative for Lupus, MS, EBS, and Lyme. My ND says that lyme tests are not always conclusive. She had me take Samento drops for a few weeks before the test, so heighten my reaction to lyme. Still negative.

I also have some of the symptoms of Candida overgrowth, so that might be my next route.

Closed Thread