It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: uk
Posts: 27
mojorisin29 HB User
Depression CFS or worse

Hi,

I am a (formerly) healthy 27 yr old with a history of depression / anxiety. I took paroxetine for 4 years to address anxiety issues (which I belive to be demonstrably hereditary).

Anyway about 10 months ago I discontinued the ssri's I was on and felt OK, not good just ok really, a bit up and down. Around christmas time I split up with my girlfriend and went on a stupid bender for 6 weeks which involved taking MDMA (I regret this so badly).

Since then I've been up and down but also had a feeling of general fatigue this seemed to go away until recently. Recently an incident in the family has sent me downwards somewhat. I've been waking early in the night, having night sweats, feeling extremely dizzy which is pronounced the more I think about it, and my memory is shot. I find it hard to read or articulate myself - my mind is always pre-occupied on what is happening to me / why. I feel terrible the day after exercise, like I have flu where I used to feel good. My alcohol tolerance is the same, but I have heart palpitations a lot more than I used to have. I also have a constant headache (pressure) which seems to move from the top of my head (tingling sensation) to an almost sinus headache. My sinus's leak clear thick fluid a lot of the time (sorry its nasty). My nose is blocked everyday.

Im at my witts end. Does this seem like depression / cfs or something more? I have had anxiety manifest itself physically before, but never to a point were I feel as though I have influenza (particualrly post exercise).

My doctor has prescribed citalopram and a blood test (awaiting results), but Im scared to go back on ssri's because of sexual dysfunction / problems with weining off them before.

Any advice would be cherised as Im really worried,
M

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 04-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oak Ridge
Posts: 6,749
mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Depression CFS or worse

Investigate a sleep disorder.. get on the list to consult with a sleep specialist about one of the 80 sleep disorders out there.. I am not sure what you are suffering from other than chronic sleep deprivation.. finding the cause is essential and sleep study would go a long way to helping you find said cause.

Respectfully,
MG
__________________
If we learn by our mistakes, I am working on one hell of an education.

 
Old 05-01-2007, 03:16 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 406
music12 HB User
Re: Depression CFS or worse

Anxiety can certainly lead to inability to sleep well and you speak of two incidents that could be attributed to anxiety; therefore, I don't think a sleep specialist is needed. Heart palpitations often accompany anxiety as well. Additionally, there might be some adjustment period in going off your depression meds that is affecting you adversely.

That said, many of your symptoms are in line with CFS. Exercise Intolerance is especially common with this disorder. If you think this is what you may be dealing with you need a savvy doc who will do tests to rule out other possibilities. This is how you determine if indeed you do have CFS.

Lack of sleep can increase your anxiety. Have you tried any alternative type supplements to address this?

All the best

 
Old 05-09-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MS
Posts: 97
FEELBAD62 HB User
Re: Depression CFS or worse

I have been diagnosed recently with adrenal fatigue. This will make you feel tired all the time, have anxiety/mood swings, headaches, dizziness and confusion. I am on an adrenal rebuilder now, but have been told it may take 6 months to a year to get back to normal. Please find you a good Anti-aging MD to get your adrenals checked.

 
Old 05-09-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 406
music12 HB User
Re: Depression CFS or worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEELBAD62 View Post
I have been diagnosed recently with adrenal fatigue. This will make you feel tired all the time, have anxiety/mood swings, headaches, dizziness and confusion. I am on an adrenal rebuilder now, but have been told it may take 6 months to a year to get back to normal. Please find you a good Anti-aging MD to get your adrenals checked.
How exactly were you tested for this?

 
Old 05-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MS
Posts: 97
FEELBAD62 HB User
Re: Depression CFS or worse

My doctor ordered an adrenal profile which is done by saliva testing. 4 samples are taken during the day at different times. It is then sent to the lab. Most doctors do not test for this; they only look for complete adrenal failure which is known as Addison's disease. They do not look at any levels in between.

 
Old 05-10-2007, 02:31 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 406
music12 HB User
Re: Depression CFS or worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEELBAD62 View Post
My doctor ordered an adrenal profile which is done by saliva testing. 4 samples are taken during the day at different times. It is then sent to the lab. Most doctors do not test for this; they only look for complete adrenal failure which is known as Addison's disease. They do not look at any levels in between.
You must have a great doc! Mine dismissed the saliva test as foolish, but it is really the only way (IMHO) to actually test the adrenal function. Did you suggest this to your doc or was it his idea?

 
Old 05-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MS
Posts: 97
FEELBAD62 HB User
Re: Depression CFS or worse

My doctor is the one that suggested it. I had gone through a very stressful period in my life and started having the classic symptoms of adrenal fatigue. I think alot of people probably have it and don't know why they feel like they do. Good luck in finding a doctor that can help you. Like I said before, anti-aging doctors are knowledgeable about the adrenals.

 
Old 05-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oxford
Posts: 17
Maenad HB User
Re: Depression CFS or worse

I'm really sorry to hear about how rough you've been feeling. I have a similar tale as I was on the anti-depressent Venlefaxine to treat anxiety/depression for three and a half years before I became ill with CFS (its now seven years later). In my case I am convinced the two are separate, as my depression has been mostly absent/under control with the medication while the CFS has been up and down since the initial viral trigger in 2000. The post-exercise malaise was a key sign for me, as I used to swim and cycle to help with managing the depression/anxiety, and I have had to give these up with CFS. Another key difference is that when I'm depressed I have no motivation and just want to lie/sit around, whereas with CFS I have high motivation to go out/work/study/socialise but am too ill to do it and have to rest, which I resent. Also, as I've spoken about on the board it turns out I have a series of concrete physiological things going wrong at a cellular level (see my mitochondrial dysfunction post) which again has helped me to differentiate between depression and CFS. Having said that I realise that there is a mind/body connection, and that perhaps at times depression/anxiety can exacerbate CFS, in the same way that chronic illness can trigger depression (in anyone!!). I also do wonder about a possible connection between taking a high dose anti-depressant as the precurrsor to the illness. One of the side effects of the Venlefaxine Effexor (trade nich name Side Effexor) was excessive sweating, which leads to magnesium loss, and hey presto a key aspect of CFS is chronic low levels of red cell magnesium, which has a knock on effect on a host of other biochemical/hormonal processes. So, it all feels a bit chicken and egg at times....Let us know how you get on, and any questions please ask.Good luck

Last edited by moderator2; 05-18-2007 at 11:13 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

 
Old 05-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WA State
Posts: 32
lightnerbride HB User
Re: Depression CFS or worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorisin29 View Post
Hi,

I am a (formerly) healthy 27 yr old with a history of depression / anxiety. I took paroxetine for 4 years to address anxiety issues (which I belive to be demonstrably hereditary).

Anyway about 10 months ago I discontinued the ssri's I was on and felt OK, not good just ok really, a bit up and down. Around christmas time I split up with my girlfriend and went on a stupid bender for 6 weeks which involved taking MDMA (I regret this so badly).

Since then I've been up and down but also had a feeling of general fatigue this seemed to go away until recently. Recently an incident in the family has sent me downwards somewhat. I've been waking early in the night, having night sweats, feeling extremely dizzy which is pronounced the more I think about it, and my memory is shot. I find it hard to read or articulate myself - my mind is always pre-occupied on what is happening to me / why. I feel terrible the day after exercise, like I have flu where I used to feel good. My alcohol tolerance is the same, but I have heart palpitations a lot more than I used to have. I also have a constant headache (pressure) which seems to move from the top of my head (tingling sensation) to an almost sinus headache. My sinus's leak clear thick fluid a lot of the time (sorry its nasty). My nose is blocked everyday.

Im at my witts end. Does this seem like depression / cfs or something more? I have had anxiety manifest itself physically before, but never to a point were I feel as though I have influenza (particualrly post exercise).

My doctor has prescribed citalopram and a blood test (awaiting results), but Im scared to go back on ssri's because of sexual dysfunction / problems with weining off them before.

Any advice would be cherised as Im really worried,
M
Have you tried Lexapro? My husband was on Paxil for years (he's now 35) and had sexual problems with it so he switched to Lexapro and now things are all better. He has anxiety issues too and it seems to help. To me it sounds like you are suffering from more than just depression. Having the depression treated may help though.
Best Wishes

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
no improvement in treatment resistant depression alwayssad Depression 6 11-27-2010 08:02 PM
Messy home exacerbating depression painter68 Depression 5 11-25-2009 08:55 AM
Exercise is making my depression worse! judashearts Depression 5 04-14-2009 04:14 AM
Has anyone been treated for depression by a pm dr.? Michael8466 Pain Management 9 03-17-2008 02:23 PM
Depression is WORSE with exercise. Help! wlap Bipolar Disorder 4 12-12-2007 10:40 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



CFIDS (3), sleepykitty44 (3), paulapage1980 (3), wigs123 (3), Brodie179 (3), ladybud (3), mare50 (3), RickinOH (3), neveragain444 (2), mads12 (2)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1165), MSJayhawk (1000), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:58 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!