It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
(male)

HowieMel HB User
Cold Baths / Showers

I have recently been reading online about how cold baths and showers are generally good for ones health and have therefore started trying to endure them for my fatigue. A cold water bath, so the theory goes, resets the body as the blood rushes away from the surface taking lactic acid away with it, then coming back up again "clean". Marathon runners use an ice bath on their legs after running as it prevents damage to muscles and soreness over the following days. There are all sorts of stories promoting the benefits of these doubtless you can find for yourself online if you are interested.

Anyhow I have started trying them myself, especially after what little exercise I am managing to allow myself. My first impressions are getting into a bath of cold water is not easy, though I like a challenge and once you are over the initial shock it is fun! (also is a green way to wash and keeps those gas bills down!) Anyhow as for health, I do think it is helping my alertness, and taking the edge of certain aspects of my fatigue like sore muscles after exercise. Also, though unrelated to fatigue my skin and hair are much softer, and oddly afterwards I feel much warmer.

Hopefully it is one more thing that might help in my battle against this illness. In the meantime has anyone else got any thoughts or experiences of this of to share?

Old 05-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
(female)

keren HB User
Smile Re: Cold Baths / Showers

i have actually been doing this except not an actual bath
what i've read is that for 1 minute you should put the water as hot as you can stand on the sore area - then for 30 seconds put ice cold water on the sore area and back again to hot and then cold and so on and so forth

i have done it to my knee and it seems to help
the reason why u do both hot and cold is because it just gets the blood circulating to and fro

i really need to do it around my shoulders and neck but i always chicken out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread