It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
(male)

AlwaysTired247 HB User
Post Mono and CFS

Greetings!

Well, since Jan of 2006, I've been searching all over going from doctor to doctor, trying all kinds of remedies, reading tons of books and trying a hand full of medications. I've finally being put through the ringer, my infectious disease doctor told me that my levels for having mono in the past were very high (High Ab for EBV). My wife had Mono in 2005 (around August) I started feeling tired around this time, but didn't put 2 and 2 together. I thought it was just stress. After I finally couldn't lift weights anymore and my neck started really hurting, I saw a doctor.

She checked me for Mono and it came back with nothing. I still dont' know what happened. Did the lab mess up? Did it just not show in the blood? Well... either way, it is what it is and this is me. It sucks. I was so healthy, running every other day, lifting weights, practicing martial arts. I would give anything to have that back.

Has anyone tried any types of meds that help them? I've tried Provigil, Cortef, Armour, AndroGel, and God only knows how many herbs and supplements.

I'm sure I'll get the few questions about the standards (have you checked this) so I'll go ahead and put these down

Yes, I've had....

Sleep study
Tried multiple types of anti-depressants
Checked for Lyme (Twice)
Seen 3 different Endo's
Tried Acupuncture
Multiplet blood workups for just about everything under the sun
Mold testing in my home.

I know that I felt better when I relax and took a break from lifting when this started getting bad. I think the stress kicked in because I didn't know what this was and made things worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Post Mono and CFS

My husband carries mono but it never activated. It doesn't always activate. He had issues like yours and they were the result of hyponea.. shallow breathing oxygen deprivation during sleep causing one of many forms of sleep apnea. He need a CPAP to elevate his blood O2 levels and get his body functioning as possible.

SIncerely,
MG

Old 05-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
(male)

AlwaysTired247 HB User

MG,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the most common signs of sleep apnea caused by sleeping on your back and snoring? I sleep on my side and don't snore (wife tells me). I also had a sleep study done and they said I was fine.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Snoring is common but not a given in sleep apnea patients especially those that have hypopnea based sleep apnea. Sleeping on the left side is the optimum sleep position, because it makes it hard to experience sleep reflux effects as well as keeps your weight off of your lungs. The worst sleep position are back followed by belly.

What all did they do for your sleep study? Sleep problems do not have to be daily and can be periodic.. linked to seasonal allergies, irritant exposure, illness and the like. As weight increases the chances of a sleep disorder magnify. The fact things got worse as weight was added made me think sleep disorder first. Given that you had a sleep study performed (was this before or after the added weight gain) and nothing was found means you may not and probably do not have a serious sleep disorder.

How are your tonsils? Are you taking any medications.. BP meds especially? Have you had a full chemical profile work up done.. missing minerals/poor thyroid function can be found in this manner. But I would think the blood work ups would catch it.

I would look into seeing a immunologist and getting your thyroid checked out. It was hard to determine if my husband's fatigue was from the mono or hypopnea based (sleep apnea). The weight gain and inability to lose it and fatigue can point to sleep deprivation.. you had a sleep study.. physically you are good, or allergic auto-immune disease, or thyroid dysfunction. It can also be a medication side effect. Look into all of those. I wish I had an answer I can just try my best to pass on any ideas I come up with.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 05-11-2007 at 06:45 AM.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
(male)

AlwaysTired247 HB User

MG,

Nope. All this started after I lost 90lbs. I've gain a lot of weight, but this hasn't gotten worse since then. It was bad months before the weight gain started.

Yup. I've been to 3 Endo's. All my labs for a possible putuitary issue are normal. I've tried Cortef, Armour and even a dosage of AndroGel.

I've never been sick before in my entire life. Never a broken bone, cavity, surgery, nothing. That is why this doesn't make sense. The only thing that has showen up in the past year of labwork and doctors visits is a really high value of strong anti-bodies of EBV. My wife still has high anti-bodies as well. I've never had Mono before in my life.

Closed Thread