It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
(male)

AlwaysTired247 HB User
Anti-Viral meds..

Who's tried them?

I have high anti-bodies for EBV. This all started after I got Mono and was stressed from having the virus. My fatigue has been here since Jan of 06. I'm curious to know who has tried Anti-virals. Valtrax? I also see a new drug has been approved by the FDA and is on it's way through final trials. It's called Valcyte

Old 05-15-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
(male)

linkin01 HB User
Re: Anti-Viral meds..

I'm also interested. Anyone try Colloidal Silver?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
(male)

AlwaysTired247 HB User

Did a little search on what you posted, you might want to do your research before putting this stuff into your system

[url]http://www.together.net/~rjstan/rose1.html[/url]

Back to topic : Come on people. Has anyone tried any type of anti-viral for CFS/ME?

Old 05-16-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi ...

Yes I am on Valtrex for Epstein Barr Virus...cytomeglovirus...and other herpe virus's.

I have been on it for about 6 months now...And I think it has done me a world of good! I have had no problems taking it. But what works for me may not work for someone else...I take 500 gm. twice a day...

Have you also had your thyroid tested and the t-3, t-4?

Hope you find some answers soon....

Jodie

Old 05-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
(female)

tawnyjade HB User

Jodie,
What kind of improvements are you feeling? Any help in the fatigue area? Brain fog? Drunk sounding talk?
I so want to feel better!
I'd love to read more success stories with anti-virals.
Tawny

Old 05-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
(male)

AlwaysTired247 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Hi ...

Yes I am on Valtrex for Epstein Barr Virus...cytomeglovirus...and other herpe virus's.

I have been on it for about 6 months now...And I think it has done me a world of good! I have had no problems taking it. But what works for me may not work for someone else...I take 500 gm. twice a day...

Have you also had your thyroid tested and the t-3, t-4?

Hope you find some answers soon....

Jodie

JoJo.

Thanks for your reply. My doctor is willing to do this, so I'm very excited! We're going to follow Dr. Learner study and go with that dosage. I believe it was 1000mgs, 3-4 times a day.

Is this med expensive?

Yes, I"ve been to 3 different Endo's. All with multiple blood work. I've also tried Cortef, Armour, as well as AndroGel for testosterone. I've also tried Provigil. They all did nothing.

I've also had a sleep study, accupuncture, allergie testing, mold testing for home, lyme testing, lung testing, heart monitors.... too much more to list.

I've covered my basis, as you can see :-).

Is the anti-viral helping with your fatigue?

Old 05-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi Alwaystired and Tawny....

As you know all cases are different....I have had lyme, fibro and the chronic fatigue...Do believe I had babesia also...Been pretty much on antibiotics for 7 years...Just whittling away at each and everything...

Alwaystired I hope you know that Lyme test ARE NOT accuarate! You truly would need to go to a doctor that believes in going on symptoms. I after 8 or more years finally found a doctor to go on my symptoms...Cause my test just weren't showing a positive...I had some bands show and I had some pendings...But i WAS pretty clueless about how doctors are...and how the lyme test were...So I went mis-diagnoised for a long long time. Please post on the lyme board if you feel you could have lyme. It is the second fastest growing disease ..some say it is number one. All kinds of ways of gettin it besides being bit by a tick...

I and the doctor I am seeing now believe what one of my main problems (now) is I have swelling under my scalp and between my skull. It really does a job on my thinking and over all does some weird things to me. Been on antibiotics for microbacteriums also...So we feel it is either bacterias, microbacteriums or virus's (herpe) under there....

since I have started on the valtrex I can breath a whole lot better...and yes I am not as tired. When ever I go off of it to try and see how I stand...I go right back down...Been on it for about 6 months...

YES IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE...Like 550.00 for one months worth...that is 500 mg twice a day. I do hope you have insurance....

You both might also try researching about vitamin D3 ....there are alot of studies out now saying how important it is...Natural antibiotic and also a steriod hormone over all immune builder..it is very inexpensive...

If you try the valtrex it took about 2 or 3 weeks before I started seeing some improvment....

Good LUCK to you both!!

Keep fighting ...that is the only way you will get "some" quality of life back!!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
(male)

AlwaysTired247 HB User

Thanks JoJo.

Yeah, I've have very good insurance, so I hope it won't be that expensive. Is Valtrex normally covered under insurance?

Yeah, it's hard for me to believe that this is lyme. I felt better when I got rest. I was almost back to my normal self, except I started pushing myself hard and hard in workouts again, so I got worse. The only symptoms I have are fatigue and a stiff neck.

I do have the pack at my house for IngenX, but I'm hard pressed so spend $500, not to mention that I don't have a doctor in my area that will do this with me. I've tried 2 lyme Dr's in my area, none are excepting new patients.

I think I'm going to follow through with this first and see what happens.

Thanks for all your info. Keep me posted on your progress!!!

Old 05-18-2007, 05:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

You can call your insurance and ask them if they cover Valtrex. I am on SSD and have Medicare...the insurance I had first with them would not cover it...(cause of the expense) So changed it to a different company.

I sure hope this works for you!!!!

Have a great day!

Old 05-18-2007, 07:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi I was just wanting to share...

The doctor that I am seeing (now) has me on the protocol by Dr. Charles Stratton....

This is where I got the info to also take the Vitamin D3...

Have a good day/...

Old 05-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #11
(female)

nmgrl HB User

Thanks for the heads up re. there already being a thread going on anti-virals! If I had EBV, I'd definitely give Valtrex a try, since it seems to be very safe, and EBV responds well to it. I have HHV-6 and CMV, though, so am not sure about it's effectiveness. Another thing I'm looking into is Nexavir, which used to be Kutapressin--works as an anti-viral. Good luck!

Old 05-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

jojo, you said you were on valtrex and your not so tired. but how much not tired are you?

Old 05-20-2007, 06:02 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Get up at 5 a.m. do my chores throughout the day ...bed time 8 or 9 ish...

Been battling all kinds of things for the last 20 or so years...I think now I have old age sitting in....

I have the CMV (herpes) also...the valtrex seems to help this also...If you don't have an open minded doctor...there are plenty of them out there...find one that will try different things with you..

Hope you all find some relief.....battling herpes in any form is a nightmare...

Good Luck!!!

Old 05-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #14
(female)

nmgrl HB User

jojo, nice to hear you're doing better on the Valtrex. What makes you think it's helping with the CMV? Have you had follow up tests, or just going by how you feel?

nmgrl

Old 05-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi nmgrl....

Learned a long time ago you can't go solely on test...With the EBV and CMV there are times wihen you can test and it isn't active...then other times it is....

I know the Valtrex is doing well for me.

Hope you find some answers soon...no fun living each day feeling yucky!

Good Luck to you!

Closed Thread