It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
(female)

dalmatinka HB User
What does ATP test mean?

Can someone please help me understand about ATP test and what does it mean? I am new to CFS and I don't even believe that CFS is my problem.

I have hypothyroidism and low iron for years now. In the beginning of my thyroid therapy I started having negative reactions to meds including my thyroid meds and iron supplement. I became intolerant to right dose and I am taking lower dose then what I would otherwise need.

Years had passed and I still don't have a good doctor who is willing to listen and understand my problem, and try to find the reason to why I can't tolerate thyroid meds.

I believe that how I feel is due to low thyroid function and low iron and not CFS.

I recently went to another doctor who tested me for ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate). My results came back low at 22. Doctor said she is aiming for at least 30, and she wants me on ATP pills (if I understood her correctly) for two months. She says I have CFS.

I would appreciate any info on CFS, how is treated and diagnosed, and what is ATP?

Thank you very much!

Old 05-27-2007, 04:55 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User
Re: What does ATP test mean?

I believe ATP measures the energy level in the cells.

You should be able to control your thyroid so that those symptoms abate. Have you tried Armour? I could not tolerate any of the synthetic meds but Armour works great and docs will prescribe for it if you ask. Also, you might want to check out the Thyroid board here if haven't already.

If you have low iron that would certainly show up on a blood test and you could then easily supplement. I like Ferrofood, which is a natural supplement.

Bottom Line, if you feel you can't communicate with your doc or she doesn't listen, you can always try to find someone who will! CFS is a complicated illness and (I think) requires someone really savvy about how to test and treat.

All the best!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

It's entirely possible that you could have adrenal fatigue. It's not uncommon to find this in people who have had long-term untreated or undertreated thyroid conditions. The best way to test for AF is to do a 24-hour cortisol saliva test. It can be easily treated with OTC supplements, but does take awhile. AF can also cause problems when taking thyroid meds, including Armour. Cortisol is vital for the utilization of thyroid meds and, if you don't have enough in your system, when you take the meds they stay in your bloodstream causing hyper symptoms, rather than being utilized by the body. I think that's how it works anyway. Been learning a lot about this myself lately.

I agree with Ballady. If your dr won't listen to you, then find another who will. They are out there.

Please keep us posted.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
(female)

dalmatinka HB User

Thank you ladies for your reply.
I pretty much exhausted search for doctors in TX. I saw so many doctors over the last five years and I can't find one who is willing to treat my adrenals. One says my adrenals are fine, other one says I have AF but wont treat it. So I am on my own here.
I am on compounded Armour and on Iron supplements. My problem is that I can't tolerate right dose of Armour or Iron and no one will listens to me. They all think I am making this up.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Have you stopped over at the thyroid forum? There might be someone there who can refer a dr in TX for you. It's worth a shot. There are a couple of threads on there regarding AF. See if you can get copies of your test results and post them there. There are some really good folks versed in both thyroid and AF.

Once you get your test results, you could try Isocort, which is a very mild OTC cortisol supplement. I'm going to be starting on Isocort soon. Don't bother with whole adrenal glandulars that you can find at the health food store. They usually contain the whole adrenal cortex, which may also contain adrenaline and can make you "wired and tired".

I'm currently having a similar problem taking Armour. Even on a dosage as low as 1/2 grain, it's making me have hyper symptoms, so I stopped taking it on Friday. I just did my saliva test this weekend and will be sending it in on Tues. Once the results come back, I'll be starting on adrenal support and then back on the Armour. My dr and I both think it's pretty much a slam dunk I have AF, it's just a matter of knowing to what degree.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 05-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #6
(female)

dalmatinka HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxie63;300***5
Have you stopped over at the thyroid forum? There might be someone there who can refer a dr in TX for you. It's worth a shot. There are a couple of threads on there regarding AF. See if you can get copies of your test results and post them there. There are some really good folks versed in both thyroid and AF.

Once you get your test results, you could try Isocort, which is a very mild OTC cortisol supplement. I'm going to be starting on Isocort soon. Don't bother with whole adrenal glandulars that you can find at the health food store. They usually contain the whole adrenal cortex, which may also contain adrenaline and can make you "wired and tired".

I'm currently having a similar problem taking Armour. Even on a dosage as low as 1/2 grain, it's making me have hyper symptoms, so I stopped taking it on Friday. I just did my saliva test this weekend and will be sending it in on Tues. Once the results come back, I'll be starting on adrenal support and then back on the Armour. My dr and I both think it's pretty much a slam dunk I have AF, it's just a matter of knowing to what degree.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Yes, I visited thyroid forum in the past a lot. I am also doing saliva test these days. I also take only .54 grain of Armour a day divided in two doses 2x .27). Even with that small dose every five or six days I need to cut on one dose to .25 instead of .27. Such a small change in dose makes a huge difference in my reaction, it's unbelievable.

I also started collecting saliva today. Do I need to freez saliva sample or just keep it in the fridge until Tuesday?

I want Isocort too but would like doctor to guide me on that. I am super sensitive to everything I take so that I am getting scared to even try it.
Thanks!

Old 05-28-2007, 02:45 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmatinka View Post
I want Isocort too but would like doctor to guide me on that. I am super sensitive to everything I take so that I am getting scared to even try it.
Thanks!
You could try taking only 1/2 tab a few times a week. They are scored so easy to break.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dalmatinka - You don't need to freeze or refrigerate the saliva samples. After all, they won't be chilled during shipping. According to what I've read somewhere, they can keep for up to a couple of weeks.

Also, are you taking your Armour and iron at least 4 hours apart? Try taking the iron with a Vit C supplement or w/ orange juice. It might help to metabolize the iron. If the C bothers your stomach, then look for a buffered C supplement.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
(female)

dalmatinka HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxie63 View Post
Dalmatinka - You don't need to freeze or refrigerate the saliva samples. After all, they won't be chilled during shipping. According to what I've read somewhere, they can keep for up to a couple of weeks.

Also, are you taking your Armour and iron at least 4 hours apart? Try taking the iron with a Vit C supplement or w/ orange juice. It might help to metabolize the iron. If the C bothers your stomach, then look for a buffered C supplement.
I've got my saliva test kit from on line lab and it says on their instruction that if you can't get enough saliva, to freeze the tube and resume filling the next day. Also it says that refrigeration of sample prior to mailing is recommended.
I took my noon sample yesterday because I felt very bad and I wanted to know what my adrenals were doing at that time. Rest of the samples I am doing today. I hope that's ok.
I am taking my iron more then 4 hours apart from my Armour. Thanks!

Last edited by dalmatinka; 05-28-2007 at 02:38 PM.

Closed Thread