It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
(female)

chestersmom HB User
CFS - Don't know

I've not posted on this board before, but have been reading everone's post trying to find someone with my crazy symptoms. So far, nothing. So here I go jumping on the bandwagon with all you others who "just don't know" what the heck is wrong. My problem has been going on for about 8 years. I can be feeling great and suddenly down goes my energy. Sometimes I can still function pretty well, others I have to hit the couch. It may last a few hours or most of the day. Then when I "come out of it" it's like it never happened. I'm able to do anything I normally do. I have no other symptoms, just the fatigue. About 3 years ago I stopped having these "spells" and of all things it was during the time that my husband of 47 years was diagnosed with lung cancer. He died in Dec. of 04 and I continued for several months feeling physically great. Then a couple of years ago I slowly started having the problem again. It sometimes seems it comes in spells, with feeling good for quite a while, then several days of off and on fatigue. It's just like someone removes all your batteries except one. My doctor has done all the standard tests, thyroid, anemia, etc. with no results, however, she put me on a low dose of Zoloft which I think helps, because every time I try to get off of it I bottom out and just can't go. Ii've about come to the conclusion that I just have to live with it, and what keeps me going is the fact that I always seem to bounce back, but it's scary when it lasts for several days. Always afraid it may become permanent. I'm in my late 60s but have energy (when I'm not down) to maintain my home (with 5 acres) that I keep up by myself, and spend a lot of time outside keeping up my flowers, etc. Some times I feel that my later years are being wasted when I don't feel like doing anthing but laying on the couch, but after reading so many of your posts, I can see that I am still a lot better off than many of you. I feel so sorry for those of you who have to try to work with these problems. Thank goodness I'm retired.
I feel that somehow my body is being deprived of something that keeps my energy level up. It's just so strange how I can go for so long feeling great and then just be almost unable to take care of the very basics. Anyway, thanks for letting me "moan and groan". I would just like to find someone with the same problem even if we don't know what it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
(female)

diddy_di HB User
Re: CFS - Don't know

Hi,just read your message.Is zoloft an anti-depressant?You said that when you try to come off it you relapse,I may be wrong but its either working and you need it (even if you don't know why!) or you're stopping the medication too quickly instead of weaning yourself off,although i'm sure the doc will have advised you of this.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
(female)

chestersmom HB User

Yes, Zoloft is an anti depressant. I've come to the conclusion that I may just be on it for life. I have no side effects from it and my doctor says just stay on it. I've tried several times to get off, with the same downward spiral each time so I'd have to say it's doing something. Not stopping the problem but making it more manageable.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:35 AM   #4
(female)

diddy_di HB User

Hello again,well if it works - keep on with it.I don't like taking pills if I can help it but if it keeps you well thats the main thing.Sometimes depression can manifest itself in exhaustion,which is why so many of us with fatigue illnesses end up on them.Like myself they didn't work because its not depression and I am now in the process of weaning myself off them,but you seem to have hit the nail on the head and they work for you.Ok its not nice to think you'll be on them for ever more but lets face it ,most people I reckon end up on long term med for something or other.I hope you continue to feel ok and enjoy you're retirement!!!!!!!

Closed Thread