It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
(female)

mentalvdt HB User
Red face Don't know what to do

Let me start at the beginning. Several years ago I was really down health wise. I was extremely tired all the time body hurting all over headaches, low grade temps, couldn't concentrate. Then finally after a barrage of test my doc said I had Epstein Barr Virus(spelling?)He told me at that point "some people can fight it off some people can't the ones that can't it turns into cfs. Well now several years later I am having the same symptoms again and my doc now refuses to do the test for EBV. He said he believes cfs is just the symptoms of depression.He took blood to do a cbc, comp(to check liver and kidney function)and thyroid panel. He also gave me a large scrip for antidepressant and told me to see a shrink. This is the second time I have been through this with him all the test will come back fine but my liver function will be slightly high and he'll say take the pills you'll be OK. I am so sick of feeling this way and want a end to it. If it is not something that will get better I could live with that better if I had a name for is of a diagnoses. OK I think this turned into more of a vent then a question but what should I do? This doc is the only one close so it is hard to get a second opinion. Thank in advance for any advice Could this be cfs?

Old 06-13-2007, 03:38 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

music12 HB User
Re: Don't know what to do

I would do all that I could to find some support other than this doc, whether that means a Naturopath or some other alternative practitioner or maybe even travelling, if necessary.

CFS/Lyme are real illnesses and not a figment of your mind. Many of us have experienced what you are describing - doctors thinking it's all in your head and advising a shrink. This not only does not address the problem but, I think, is humiliating. There are not many docs savvy about CfS or Lyme, true, but I think that you have to ask yourself what the point is in continuing to see someone who is really not knowledgeable about this illness.

In the end, though, the most gains that I have made were not through seeing doctors (actually, that only set me back) but through my own research and connecting with others who were "in the same boat."

All the best!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: Don't know what to do

Hi ...sorry you are having these problems...

But I do agree with Ballady...You need to find a doctor that will work with you. And sometimes as I know that can take YEARS to find just "one" doctor that will listen and go on symptoms ...Just amazes me how doctors would rather stick people on antidepressants and send us off to the shrink...ahhh...

EBV can cause the problems that you have listed. Any of the herpe virus's can do this. I have found that we need to be on an antiviral to help.

Also like Ballady mentioned...Lyme Disease is in Texas also. A doctor "needs" to go on symtpoms not on test..."IF" you have Lyme you really, really need to be treated. It is not a disease to mess around with...Been there.

You might need to drive to Houston , San Antonio or Dallas to find yourself some help. I would get to a different doctor anyway I could. The one you are seeing sounds like he doesn't want to have an open mind.

Good Luck to you!!

Closed Thread