It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
(female)

desperate1 HB User
work life

What's a good job for someone with severe fatigue and brain fog who does not qualify for disabilty benefits?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 04:42 AM   #2
(male)

tom66 HB User
Re: work life

Testing mattreses? No Honestly I wish I had an answer for this. Plenty of people have suggested I take up web design from home as a business, but this is very much dependant on how my eyes feel (they can get very sore/tired to the point where I can't read/look at a screen for more than about 15 mins at times). I don't suppose there are many options out there for us because they all require brain power to a certain degree, and it depends on how much that tires you out. Mental fatigue/concentration can get to me physically after a while and make me ache worse.
Good luck with your search, I hope things get better for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
(female)

desperate1 HB User

Thanks Tom66. If only there were jobs for us that required limited sitting, limited standing, limited thinking, no stress, ability to rest whenever needed, and paid lots of $$.

Meanwhile, back on planet earth. I really don't know what to do but I can't be without a paycheck. This illness really makes living a stress free, normal existence near impossible!

Old 08-16-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
(male)

tom66 HB User

Excuse my throw away remark in the previous reply!! There's no denying it that M.E./CFIDS sure messes up peoples lives big time, unfortunately despite clinging on to my job for a couple of years while getting worse and worse I eventually lost it, but despite not being in the rat race with all the rest of the crew (a good thing that's for sure, no competition with annual salaries/better cars/watches/house etc something which I don't miss) I still survive a lot better than some people I know. It's not always easy to get some state benefits in this country (UK) you have to fight for them because the general consensus by GP's is that if you can't test for it then you haven't got it, so the psychologists still get far too involved here.
It's unfortunate that you have to make some big decisions when ill health hits hard, but you need to re evalute what you can do on a regular basis, and be realistic, because if you aim to high then go off sick after a couple of weeks it's a real downer to the system, try and chose some working hours that you could consistently do if you're feeling a bit more stable. I can only suggest some sort of data inputting on computers as it's the least physical option I know and you could possibly do it from home. If you have any particular mechanical or handicraft skills or passions then look into using some of that knowledge or passion to to help other people who need your skills, could you set up some sort of business from home? I know this is all a bit pie in the sky for me in my current situation (housebound and hurting) but if you're well enough have a little think about it. It's easier to disappoint yourself when you're the boss rather than disappoint others by failing to get to or do the job that bosses pay you for. I wish you the very best of health for the future and hope that you can get by. I hope some other members can come up with some solutions that they've come across. Good Luck

Old 08-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
(female)

desperate1 HB User

Oh my, I didn't take your remarks as throw away at all!
I guess the worst part is knowing that I will have to take a job that doesn't pay very well and doesn't require much, because too many hours, standing, sitting, stress, etc, do me in quickly. Meanwhile I have a masters degree and have to feel like I'm letting everyone down and not livign up to my potential, because I can't explain to everyone why I cannot think or move the way I should be able to. It's frustrating. Hopefully I'll find something I can handle that pays more than minimum wage so I can pay my bills!

Old 09-23-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
(female)

waratah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperate1 View Post
Oh my, I didn't take your remarks as throw away at all!
I guess the worst part is knowing that I will have to take a job that doesn't pay very well and doesn't require much, because too many hours, standing, sitting, stress, etc, do me in quickly. Meanwhile I have a masters degree and have to feel like I'm letting everyone down and not livign up to my potential, because I can't explain to everyone why I cannot think or move the way I should be able to. It's frustrating. Hopefully I'll find something I can handle that pays more than minimum wage so I can pay my bills!
Hi desperate1, I'm a total newbie at this whole health message board thingy but I do know from 3-4 years of personal expereince that CFS is very debilitating, often not officially recognised by GP's, AND CAN OFTEN BE PART OF A BIGGER PROBLEM such as thyroid dysfunctions - and there are lots and lots of different thyroid disorders. I know this, because I've been crook for at least 5 years, and only now seem to be getting closer to an official position. CFS for me was only part of a broader picute, but is was the first and most durable debilitating symptom in the litany of bodily ills. Please will you / have you done a range of thyroid tests & scans, symptom checklists, and have a look at the Thyroid BB, Hope this help, waratah

Old 09-23-2007, 11:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Life just sucks sometimes! Will the employment office retrain you or perhaps there is somewhere in your city/town that will retrain you...your college/university/Jr. College have some sort of clinic where they see what they can retrain you in? Research what your degree will be useful in doing. Perhaps a job share with good pay and benefits but you just don't have to work full time. Just don't give up in trying to find a suitable job. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
(female)

BrissieBabe HB User

My partner has the same problem. We are struggling for cash as I am at University and cannot work because of my hectic schedule and we has been denied disability because the government is too stingy to help him. He has been checked for thyroid problems and he is clean. No problems so with him its CFS. I really don't mind if he says home and I gop out and work because I just want him to get better and it also means that when we have kids he can be a stay at home dad. I just wish a business NOW will give him a break and help him or the government would stop being such *******s and give him disability. He has been like this for 3 years now. You would think the government would get the hint.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

I too suffer from fibro along with BP1, on 12 meds, which I take a total of 27 pills per day and am still fighting SSD. I know someone made mention to finding computer work and maybe even finding computer work to do at home. I have a degree in Computer Science but mostly have always taken care of the accounting departments and office managers. I had suffered some TIA strokes in June of 2006 and about 2 months after that was diagnosed with the BiPolar 1. All my life I had been treated as severely depressed and generalized anxiety disorder. I had a breakdown after the TIA strokes due to the fact that my employer said I needed to get back to work that my job was more important than my health. I was always a workaholic, was an hourly worker at this job, was not allowed overtime, however always stayed b/c had to have my work done before I could leave. Sorry for rambling and getting off subject. Major fibro fog going on now.

At times, I was able to work from home but here is the thing. Computer work is not any easier than anything else only because, the people you work around will wonder why you get to work at home. Because you don't look sick, they will think you are not really sick. Most employers are the same way regardless of how nice and understanding they say they are. I know that if the weather is at all chilly or if it is rainy, I will end up in bed most of the day. I live in Kentucky so there would be alot of days like like. How many employers would accept that many days of absentees? Even when the days are like that most of the time I try and stay up and do little things around the house however, I will end up paying for it physically eventually. My pain doc told me from the very beginning, when you hurt or are tired, lay down and do not feel guilty. I fought those orders for many months. I paid dearly many days and weeks for it. When the time comes, I get my trusty heating pad and a magazine and to bed I go. I don't go to sleep, but I know I have to rest.

I very rarely make dinner anymore as it is to hard for me. I cannot go to the grocery store as by the time the trip is done I cannot load everything into the car and some things I cannot even lift into the cart.

On top of all of that, who would hire someone that takes all the drugs that I must take just to maintain and it really doesn't even touch the pain most days. No, I am not having a pity party. I am hurting very badly right now and have been for 2 weeks even though I have been getting trigger point injections besides all the meds. I would not even be able to pass a drug test I am sure. My pain doc told me to save my energy for the important stuff, such as family and things like that. I am only 44 but I will continue to fight SSD until I win. I am now waiting on the hearing with the judge.

Good Luck and Gentle Hugs to all.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
(female)

Hoopa7p HB User

I agree with the poster who talked about Thyroid disorders. I am also hypothyroid and have antibodies for EBV. Please have your thyroid tested to see if you have Hashimoto's disorder

In the meantime, maybe there are jobs in your area where you can work from home. I know there are jobs like that available.

Closed Thread