It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ladycakes HB User
New - on Provigil

I've been poking around the MS board, but am new here. I've gotten 2 diagnoses of Fibromyalgia, and 2 of Chronic Fatigue. We're still ruling out Lyme (via LLMD), Lupus, Thyroid dysfunction... I have a mountain of bloodwork. My neuro's also keeping an eye on the possibility of MS. So even though I have four separate diagnoses, I've got nearly no closure on the issue.

But we're going forward for treating my crushing fatigue while we go about ruling things out, and we'll see which symptoms clear up and which don't.

For those interested in such things, I have my medical history (tests, diagnoses, medications) posted at [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=38[/url].

Oh right, I had a question! I just started on Provigil today. I was wondering if anyone else here was on it, and how it was working out for them. My neuro told me that my insurance is going to have a fit over it, but he'll get it straightened out for me. He's awesome.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
(female)

desperate1 HB User
Re: New - on Provigil

Amazing! I have the same dx as you, fibro and cfs, with a possible ms by my neuro, looking for an llmd about lyme and already had thyroid ruled out.

I've been taking adderall for 2 months and it's not helped. I picked up my prescription for provigil today. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but at this point I am nearly incapacitated by fatigue and the other symptoms, and if the provigil doesn't help I have no idea how to proceed.

Looking forward to seeing what kind of repsonses you get here!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Provigil made me feel really weird. And didn't do anything for me.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:47 AM   #4
(male)

AlwaysTired247 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Provigil made me feel really weird. And didn't do anything for me.

I got nothing from it either. From what I've read, it can either be a great, or nothing @ all.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User

I tried Provigil once and it did nothing for me except make me feel strange for about a day. Stimulant medications probably aren't a good option for CFS patients anyway.

deleted

Last edited by Administrator; 09-01-2007 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Do not make generalizations about any medical field. There are good or bad doctors in every field.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ladycakes HB User

I wonder, because I didn't think to ask the doctor this, how long it might be before I'd notice a difference. I know some medications can take a few weeks before they really start to work. But at the moment, I feel about the same. Nothing weird yet though, so that's always a plus!

I think I'm going to have to call and get my records from some of the other doctors I've been to. I've had more bloodwork done than I can remember, and unfortunately wasn't keeping good track of my symptoms, tests, etc. until I started getting really bad about 2 months ago. I haven't been entirely healthy since early in 2001, but it was livable until about last summer. Usually, when I got reports back from my doctor on my bloodwork, they would just say that everything was normal, but I never knew exactly what they were testing for. So I'm not 100% sure what all has been ruled out.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladycakes View Post
I wonder, because I didn't think to ask the doctor this, how long it might be before I'd notice a difference. I know some medications can take a few weeks before they really start to work. But at the moment, I feel about the same. Nothing weird yet though, so that's always a plus!
With a medication like Provigil, which is a stimulant, the effects should be seen very quickly. There isn't a break-in period like many of the antidepressants have.

It could be that your Provigil dose should be higher perhaps. Since you aren't getting any response at all, neither good nor bad, maybe you could talk to your doctor about raising it?

Might be of some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladycakes
I think I'm going to have to call and get my records from some of the other doctors I've been to. I've had more bloodwork done than I can remember, and unfortunately wasn't keeping good track of my symptoms, tests, etc. until I started getting really bad about 2 months ago. I haven't been entirely healthy since early in 2001, but it was livable until about last summer. Usually, when I got reports back from my doctor on my bloodwork, they would just say that everything was normal, but I never knew exactly what they were testing for. So I'm not 100% sure what all has been ruled out.
I've made it pretty standard practice to obtain all the medical records I can when getting blood tested. Even though almost every single thing I'm tested for shows up normal, I like to have them on file. At least this way I'll know when I ever have questions about something and it's always great to have those to bring to another doctor I'm seeing.

Haha, you should see the size of stack of papers I've handed to my doctors, they just look at it like 'whoa'.

Last edited by CFD 333; 09-05-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Closed Thread