It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User
Enterovirus a Cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

A study published on September 13, 2007 in the Journal of Clinical Pathology stated that 82 percent of the 165 patients they tested had the enterovirus protein in their gut.

I appears that this might open up a whole new realm of possibilities when it comes to developing new antiviral treatments to battle this virus and help CFS patients.

What do you all think?

Last edited by CFD 333; 09-17-2007 at 02:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2007, 11:54 PM   #2
(female)

tawnyjade HB User
Re: Enterovirus a Cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Okay, you've got my attention. What were they testing for/ was was the study about?

I want to be me again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User
Re: Enterovirus a Cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

OK, basically, the researchers involved in this study were looking for a connection between certain types of viruses known as enteroviruses and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). There have been other studies suggesting that these viruses may play a role in triggering and sustaining the illness, but the previous studies were focused on finding them in the blood of CFS patients. When they searched the blood, the results were pretty low and there wasn't much evidence to prove anything. This study, instead, decided to focus on the tissues of the body the virus infects. Makes sense right? So, they took biopsies from the patients' stomachs and tested them.

What they found was that 135 out of 165 patients showed positive for the presence of these viruses. That means that there is a definite correlation between the presence of the virus and CFS and they are onto something here.

I can't seem to get access to the full study, but it seems like the researchers are taking this information pretty seriously because they know these viruses can infect not only the stomach and GI tract, but muscles, heart, and brain as well. They state that it makes all the sense in the world because many people's illness starts off as a flu that just kept lingering and never went away and many of the symptoms are very flu-like.

The major problem I have so far with reading through this information is that they don't really have a way to distinguish what came first...CFS or the virus. It is entirely possible that being sick with CFS leaves you open to contract viruses like these that your body can't fight off which makes you sicker, but isn't the CAUSE of your illness. However, it may also be possible that genetic errors may leave a persons immune system open to a viral attack such as this in which the ultimate outcome is developing CFS at some point. A lot of the Centers For Disease Control's research found several genetic errors in CFS patients. Put that information together with this one and this could become something HUGE.

These researchers believe that exploring and developing new drugs to treat enteroviruses may lead to recovery or at least a great treatment for us one day, but we'll just have to wait and see. Right now, I think it's too soon to tell, but I'm very hopeful.

Last edited by CFD 333; 09-18-2007 at 03:07 PM.

Closed Thread