It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
(female)

diminn1 HB User
Need your thoughts

Sorry this is such a long e-mail, but I wanted to present a good picture of what has been going on. Is there a chance that I have CFS? Can someone with CFS get sick and then recover only to get sick again? This is so hard. My doctor said she has run all of the tests she can so I don't think she wants to help me any more and my co-workers and friends and even some family think I'm faking.....

Started over two years ago with getting sick practically every other month. With each illness, the length of time to recover took longer. This past July was the worst. I think it took 21 days and a stint in the emergency room. At that time blood tests were done, which revealed a vitamin B12 deficiency. Started taking a supplement (most recent blood test,9/30/07, indicates B12 levels are now normal). Was also dehydrated. Seems like I start out with an illness and the symptoms just continue to get worse over time.
I can pinpoint the moment I started feeling sick in July. We had just finished lunch in LeSeuer. I started to feel nauseous. Thought it was something I ate. Nausea never went away for 3 weeks. Struggled to work on and off. Eventually, fatigue was so bad, I couldn’t get out of bed. At some point went to doctor and showed her how many times within the past two years that I had been sick and told her things were getting worse. She agreed I was getting sick too much and ran blood tests. Other symptoms include random aches and pains, hands and feet tingle and feel hot. Bottom of feet hurt. Seems like I get the random aches and pains first, and then when I have the deep fatigue is when my hands and feet tingle and hurt.
My brother, also a MD, thought perhaps two things might be causing the symptoms. One, the amount and type of prescriptions I take. He thought that they could be contributing to the fatigue so I dropped taking Mirapex (for restless leg syndrome) from six tablets to four on most days. I was also taking three fluoxitine tablets a day (antidepressant). I now take two. I originally started taking fluoxitine because I was having a lot of mood swings that I attributed to perimenopause. The medicine really does help and I don’t want to stop taking it as I am a much nicer person when I take it. Both medicines are taken at night now unless I need an extra Mirapex during the day. Two, I think because of the tingling and hands and feet hurting, my brother asked me to see a neurologist. She could not find anything either except the vitamin B12 deficiency. She did not think I had a neurological problem and told me to take the B12 supplement.
I used to be a long distance runner. Ran my first official marathon when I was 41 (3:59:54). Am 50 now. Have been very healthy until the last few years. Even when I am well, once I am home from work, I don’t have any energy and don’t want to do anything. But the fatigue I get when I am sick is unlike anything I have ever felt before. It is hard to describe. How can you go from exercising an hour a day and feeling fine to vacuuming the living room and then have to lie down because you are so tired?
I am also about 30 lbs. overweight for my height – around 156 lbs and I am only 5’ 1” tall.

Dates of Illness in 2007
March 3 – March 11
April 4 – April 19
July 3 – July 11
Sept. 29 – Oct 12+
Main symptoms were always nausea and fatigue. The last two episodes have been the worst.

Most Recent Episode Chronological Order of Events (2007)
Friday Sept. 28 In the evening, had ˝ beers and 1 screwdriver. Felt fine.
Saturday Sept. 29 Woke up feeling lousy. Thought it was because I mixed alcohol types.
Sunday Sept. 30 Didn’t feel any better. Run down, not at the top of my game.
Monday Oct. 1 Went to work. Didn’t feel any better.
Tuesday Oct. 2 Same.
Wednesday Oct. 3 Getting more and more fatigued—not as nauseas this time around.
Thursday Oct. 4 Stayed home, went to doctor for more blood tests.
Friday Oct. 5 Still felt sick and fatigued. Dr’s office called to notify me that I have an iron deficiency and to take iron pills—started taking them.
Saturday Oct. 6 Morning--felt good. Thought illness was gone. By evening, sick again.
Sunday Oct. 7 Sick again. Additional symptoms -- headache and cold symptoms
Monday Oct. 8 Went to work, felt lousy.
Tuesday Oct. 9 Deep fatigue-could not get out of bed, felt slightly nauseous.
Wednesday Oct. 10 Same. Slept day and night. Hands and feet hurt again.
Thursday Oct. 11 Same. Called doctor again. Hands and feet hurt.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!
Friday Oct. 12 Feeling better in morning……but can still feel it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 02:54 AM   #2
(female)

tawnyjade HB User
Re: Need your thoughts

Aloha! Welcome!
Just wondering if your Drs. checked your thyroid levels? These are important tests to have run at least once a year:
Free T3, Free T4 and TSH
When my levels are off, one of my symptoms is the painful hands and feet.
If you have not had these tests, please get them. Always get a copy of your results. Make a note of the ranges, and remember that everyone is different, and although you may be within the range, it may not be optimal for you.
You have company and support here!
Keep us posted,
Tawny

Closed Thread