It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
(female)

needhealing777 HB Userneedhealing777 HB User
Can CFS cause mono

My daughter had Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia..she is now having her second mono attack..do these diseases cause mono or make one more prone to getting it over and over..

Old 10-29-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
(male)

andrew7 HB User
Re: Can CFS cause mono

I wonder this myself.

I was dating a girl with Chronic Fatigue and during the early stages contracted mono. She contracted it right after I did though, so I assume she wasn't a carrier? In any case, she got better, but I haven't been completely better since. For the last couple years I've never felt up to par, and mono keeps coming back in my blood results, just recently for the third time even after it seems I've fought it and gotten better.

Anyway, it's crummy. My MD doesn't seem to know what to do. Don't mean to hijack this thread, but if anyone has an answer the the question above or any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
(male)

cfs1998 HB User

Mono can cause CFS, but I don't know how CFS would cause mono. Mono is caused by a virus. I guess it is possible to be more likely to get mono if you have CFS since CFS often weakens your immune system.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
(female)

emmku HB User

Mono is caused by the ebstein bar (not sure of the spelling) virus. About 10 years ago i had the worst case of mono that my local hospital has ever seen. I was hospitalized for 9 days during which time my temerature spiked to 104.5 and my glands swelled so much i had no discernable neck. i was out of school for 5 weeks. after 5 weeks i was allowed to go back half days for the next 2 months. just recently i have been diagnosed with CFS. my doctor told me that once you have the EB virus the antibodies will always remain in your system (its like chicken pox). if you only have a light case of it then you may get it again. in my case it is highly unlikely that i will get mono again. for those who have light cases there arent many antibodies in the bloodstream and the patient may get the virus again. for those who have had severe cases (such as myself) there are too many antibodies in the bloodstream and this is what causes the CFS. that is how it was explained to me. i would think that if someone has a compermised immune system it would be possible to get mono again though.
i hope that helps

Old 12-06-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
(female)

BlueEyezzMel HB User

I have had two KNOWN relapses of mono. But I am worried that I am going through yet another relapse at the moment. I go to the doctor today to talk to him about it.

Life DOES get better eventually....

Closed Thread