It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
(female)

tlc6 HB User
I hope someone will respond to some questions about provigil etc

I'm hoping that this is a board where I can learn, get support and also give support. I'm not sure why I didn't get one response to my earlier post. Maybe I put people off. I really need some support. I'm learning a lot by reading these posts and would like to be part of this community so I thought I would post one more time. I have a couple questions:

My doctor is letting me choose about whether to go on an ssri or provigil. If I take Provigil will that eventually make things worse for me (like robbing peter to pay paul?). I'm also going to acupuncture who thinks that taking Provigil or going on an ssri will make things worse. In your experience will it make things worse down the road?

Does anyone ever have a hard time sleeping?

Has anyone tried acupuncture and if so did it help?

My doctor wants me to get on clinical trials. I dont' know of any going on in the bay area.

The brain fog is getting a bit more difficult.

I realize this disease affects each of us differently so what works for one person might not work for another.

I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask but are there any good books out there to read?

I'm feeling pretty depressed about all this. It's very isolating as I'm sure others have experienced which is why I'm wanting to be part of a community.

Thanks,

Old 11-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: I hope someone will respond to some questions about provigil etc

Are you having trouble sleeping or are you sleeping well but not rested?

Have you had a sleep test done to test for apnea?

What kind of brain fog are you experiencing. The one where you are forgetting things? or is it that you feel that you are in a dream like state. very foggy vision like a blocked head?

Currently I am going to start Zoloft for depression and anxiety and then I will be put on Provigil because I just don't have focus and clarity. I am in a fog.

So in my opinion if you are not feeling anxious or depressed then I would go for the provigil. If you are anxious or dpressed then I would do both.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
(male)

gooby HB User

I have experienced extreme fatigue (although never dx'd with..anything actually). Doc started me on SSRI's. They seemed to help for awhile but the efficacy diminished after not a long time. Doc would put me on another SSRI. Finally ran out of SSRI's. Provigil rx'd. WOW!!! it does wonders.

as j2006 stated, unless there is a need for an anti-depressant, I would shoot straight to the provigil.

I had though of trying acupunture myself bt never got around to it. I had heard of some success. No idea how or why it worked, just that some people did get some help from it.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

The reason SSRI's are not good for chronic tires people (and there is no sign of depression and of the such) is because it lowers and sometimes prevents people from going into REM sleep. Some people, like myself, who have narcolpesy, are prescribed SSRIS to help with symptoms. And also people who have REM disorder (people who have apnea only during REM) will sometiimes ge prescibed an SSRI.

SSRIs can do wonders for some people - hopefully me - but provigil is said to be the wonder drug for people like us with this chronic tiredness feeling.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User

From all the research that I've done on this subject, either or both of these medications can be wonderful for managing a lot of the symptoms of CFS. They can effectively relieve a lot of fatigue, brain fog, improve sleep, reduce pain, and make your whole quality of life better.

Unfortunately for people with CFS like myself, many of us are intolerant to some of the very medications that are supposed to help. I cannot take either of them as they cause me pretty severe side effects, so I've learned to just live with my illness on my own witout any pharmaceutical intervention whatsoever. It's not easy, but I have no other choice.

Now, the questions are which to try first and will any of these interfere with your accupuncture or ultimately make you feel worse. Well, like CFS, it's a very individual thing because we'll all respond differently. I can tell you that an SSRI will probably take a month or so to see maximum benefit, but Provigil could start working in a day or two. Neither of these meds will 'rob Peter to pay Paul', so don't worry about that. The energy boost they are giving you is quite real and not draining to your body like caffeine would be. As for the effects of accupuncture, if anything they would enhance one anothers effectiveness and not rob the other.

Mainly, you can put your fears to rest though as they are both quite safe. If you have any problems taking medications, be sure to start on a low dose and increase gradually. The worst thing that can happen is you feel worse and have to stop them, so I believe it's definitely worth a shot in your case. Try them and hopefully they'll work great for you.

Last edited by CFD 333; 11-09-2007 at 07:57 AM.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
(female)

tlc6 HB User

Thanks everyone. This was really helpful. I'm having bad brain fog right now but I wanted to thank those who replied. j2006, I had a sleep study done last year (the one where you bring home the kit) but it didn't show any sleep apnea. The sort of brain fog I'm having is feeling spaced out, foggy, forgetting things, word finding problems, repeating myself sometimes. I don't have foggy vision. I think I'll go ahead with the Provigil rather than the ssri. My sleep is very weird these days. I wake up during the night but sleep for 11-12 hours, then need a nap. I've always had difficulty sleeping (it seems to run in my family) but this is strange. I think I'm going to see if I can get another sleep study done. It also feels like my heart beating really fast at night.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I does sound like symptoms of narcolpepsy. When you ask for the sleeep study ask for the day time study as well to rule out narcolepsy. Actually mine didn't show up clear in the day study - i have all the syptoms for it though so they are going to treat it as such.

I have the same foggy feeling - it is awful. Just make sure that you have told your doctors about the night time heart beating really fast.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
(female)

tlc6 HB User

Hi j2006,

What is the day time sleep study? I'll make sure to ask about it. The heart stuff makes me nervous. I had an echocardiogram about 10 days ago. I haven't heard anything back so I'm assuming it was fine. I have an appt on Tuesday for a 24 hour holter monitor. How do you cope with all this?

Old 11-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

The day time study is after the night sleep study - they keep you there for the day. They do a series of mini naps. It tests how quickly you fall asleep and go into REM etc.

I had the holter monitor done this past summer. It was fine.

How do I cope....... It is tough. I have gone through so many test and so many doctors and I did have a slight breakdown when they tried increasing one of my medication - i ended up bringing myself to the hospital begging for help I felt so bad. Well... I finally got the attnetion that I deserved. It takes time and patience. But you need to trust your doctors and your self. If you feel that they are not listening to you or taking care of you then switch - you will find the right doctor for you.

I had an EEG done last summer and it came back abnormal - potential seizures. What do you mean POTENTIAL well the doctor put me on meds "just in case". That just didn't sit well with me. After asking for months for another EEG he still denied me. I left him and found a new doctor. I just got my EEG last Friday so we will see.

Being tired and foggy all of the time is horrible - it causes so many problems. That is why I am now on Zoloft (anxiety) and Topamax (potential seizures) and eventually Provigil.

I used to care about taking a pill, now I just want the right cocktail for me to feel good.

I think once you get the holter results, which will be fine, and get on the provigil you will feel better. Make sure your taking your vitamins and eating right.

I am here if you need support - anytime.

Closed Thread