It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
(female)

Elefrank HB User
dealing with chronic fatigue naturally

Chronic fatigue is something that I have had for as long as I can remember. They of course had to no idea why I was so tired all the time for the longest time and now they are calling it chronic fatigue. There really isn't any medications that you can take that help without causing some other problems. Is there anything that is natural that can help with this condition? Something works!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
(female)

Hoopa7p HB User
Re: dealing with chronic fatigue naturally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefrank View Post
Chronic fatigue is something that I have had for as long as I can remember. They of course had to no idea why I was so tired all the time for the longest time and now they are calling it chronic fatigue. There really isn't any medications that you can take that help without causing some other problems. Is there anything that is natural that can help with this condition? Something works!
A friend of mine who suffers from bouts of chronic fatigue syndrome said her doctor used to give her B12 shots. It seemed to help her a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User

Hi Elefrank, there are a number of supplements that could be tried. Acetyl L-Carnitine, Gingko Biloba, D-Ribose, Probiotics, Grape Seed Extract, B12, and Magnesium are some commonly used ones. Also, many people try supplements that target serotonin levels and they are Fish Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Sam-E, and 5HTP. Don't try all of them together though, only one at a time.

The problem, of course, becomes that many of the same supplements/medications that are supposed to help us feel better can actually make us sicker. It really is a process of trial and error and the only way to know what will help is to start experimenting.

My advice is to only start one thing at a time and see how it goes for a couple of weeks. This is the only way to know what is working and what could be making you sick if you experience any adverse reactions.

Hope that helps some and good luck.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
(female)

Jonnie123 HB User

I have had chronic fatigue for some time now. I agree it does take trial and error on finding something to help you. I have started taking a product called activive. I have been taking it about a month and I have noticed some slight changes in the way I feel. I think that it takes time to really get into your system and work so I am giving it time. I have to say the little bursts of energy that I feel are great. It helps me get through the day to day tasks. I hope that it keeps up this way. But as with everything in life I have my doubts but I am trying to be optimistic and keep trying.

Hope this gives you a little help.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
(male)

subbster HB User

Elefrank, I know you are asking about medications, but just quickly I just wanted to put a word in about lifestyle - I think working with and changing your lifestyle can be amazing "natural medicine" in itself. How? Of course you can tackle any bad habits and improve areas such as diet and sleep hygience. You can also try to cater to your body and rhythm a little more, even if it's counter-mainstream. An example: when I finally accepted that I simply couldn't function during the morning and early afternoon, I changed jobs to one with evening/night shift (when I have more energy) - and this was a huge leg up to more energy, functioning, health and confidence.

I know others find differently, but just a little regular exercise (walking) helped me immensely after about 6 weeks of it. Good luck in tackling your situation (and in finding natural meds).

Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
(female)

lovepie23 HB User

Get the book From Fatigued to Fantastic by Dr. Teitelbaum. I heard about it on the Dr. Oz radio program. Oz's wife had fibromyalgia and it worked for her. I have Chronic fatigue and have been taking ribose for only 1 week and feel great. It took me 7-8 years to figure this out.
Good luck!!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

javyn HB User

I've never been diagnosed with CFS, but my symptoms seem to be in line with it. Spirulina, fish oil, and lots of water helped me out of it. I think the spirulina helped most of all.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:20 AM   #8
(male)

ohnonotthis78 HB User

In my experience, this approach can eliminate (or at least reduce) fatigue in 5 minutes:
1) turn on the shower and set the temperature of water around 68F (20 degrees Celsius).
2) gradually and slowly expand the area of contact with cold water from the feet up over 5 minutes (to avoid the unpleasant shock of sudden exposure to cold water)
3) take the cold shower proper for about 3 more minutes.

No side effects, plus an excellent boost for the mood. Several research papers have demonstrated that moderate cooling of the body can reduce fatigue in healthy people and in patients with fibromyalgia, rheumatism, and multiple sclerosis. No adverse effects were reported in those studies (contrary to the popular belief that a person will fall gravely ill after exposure to cold). In another scientific study, rats that were immersed in moderately cold water for a brief period of time everyday lived 5% longer on average compared to control rats. If you need citations for those studies, feel free to drop me a line.
This approach is contraindicated for people with Raynaud's syndrome (extreme sensitivity to cold).

Old 05-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
(female)

prussianblue HB User

Wow, 1,110 views and the subject was only posted yesterday - seems to tell me that we all are looking for a natural way of dealing with CFS. Me too. For one, I can't take any prescribed drugs without experiencing very scary side effects, and even my doctor said there were no drugs capable of curing, only alleviating some of the symptoms, like pain and mood management drugs.

No one has discussed meditation here yet on this post, and so far as I have experienced it is the only thing that works so well and so quickly for me, with no side effects, addictions, costs, or danger! I just did a half hour session and bounced right out of a very bad morning and I'm geared to go now.

I've been practicing meditation for many years and can advise anyone on my two favourite books on the subject - Helen Graham's Magic Shop (healing with the Imagination) and John Kabbat-Zihn (can't remeber the title) - The first one teaches guided visualisation, the second one, mindfulness. (by the way, his videos are also used in hospitals)

Otherwise, I just take vitamins and herbal supplements. depending on which symptoms are bothering me the most. My doctor knows I meditate and encourages it strongly - and seems to have given me "permission" to stop even during the day, where before meditation was an evening "chilling" session.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
(female)

prussianblue HB User

Ok, so I read that wrong - it's that brain fog thing in action - the original post was December. but still that's a lot of views and I would love to hear more input on natural cures - it's true, even a slow walk in nature has amazing healing effects. I would try the cold shower, but overheating is not my problem, except for oversensitivity to the sun

Closed Thread