It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
(female)

paulapage1980 HB User
Why do i get so tired after i eat??? Does anybody know?

It seems to me after i have a meal i get so tired. It's really severe for about 45 minutes after i'm done my meal. I can't help it, i usually ,if the situations permits it just go to bed for a few hours. I don't know....I get plenty of sleep at night 8-9 hours and everyday i have to take a couple hour nap. I generally pretty much always feel tired but notisably more after meals! Does anybody know anything that could help me out here? I just a few days ago started taking vitamin B100 complex they claim this is good for energy honestly i haven't notices anything yet but it's only been 3 days now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paulapage1980 For This Useful Post:
amany elkazzaz (03-17-2012), kdgreen0026 (03-05-2012), qwerty46 (03-19-2012)
Old 01-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
(female)

Stacey79 HB User
Re: Why do i get so tired after i eat??? Does anybody know?

I sometimes get tired during/after eating as well. There was an article in my local paper recently, where someone asked a personal trainer a question about exercises to do when you have an illness which causes chronic fatigue. He replied that it is difficult, but one exercise he recommended was chewing gum for one hour after eating. After I read this, I thought - he's got to be kidding. So I tried it, and I actually got tired! So when you chew, you must be using up some sort of energy, and I guess for those of us with chronic fatigue, energy is something we don't have much of!

In regards to supplements - the B complex might take a while to 'kick in', but it does help with supporting the nervous system and the adrenal glands, which become quite stressed during chronic illness. I have been taking one for some time now. I also find that Siberian Ginseng and Liquorice capsules also help.

One supplement which I have found the most useful is Olive Leaf Extract (in liquid form). I take 5mL of a 1000mg/mL strength liquid. When my tonsils are inflamed, or I have a sore tongue, it helps a lot. It also helps with my energy as well, my quality of sleep has improved. Just my overall sense of well being and mood have improved. If I had to give up all my supplements but one, this is the one that I would not give up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
(male)

hippydave HB User

it takes a fair bit of effort/energy for the body to process a meal, and if you're particularly low on energy anyway it might be all your body can deal with at one time.

i don't know if there's one good answer to this specific problem, but something that's often suggested to take the strain off digestion is to have more smaller meals during the course of the day instead of fewer large ones. also do you know if you have any food intolerances? many people in our situation have problems with gluten (in wheat etc) and dairy, and if you do they can have a big effect on how you feel after eating them.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
(male)

subbster HB User

Hi paulapage1980,

I used to get extreme tiredness after eating. After much trial and error and observation I worked out that it was caused by tmj disorder. (jaw joint disorder)

I had this for years - I used to get tired after meals and talking to people, and I would assume it was a direct stress response. It was actually my stressed jaw releasing fatigue waves. The suggestions that it may be food or other "energy" issues are of course worth considering, but you may want to start with checking the jaw: if it is TMJ you suffer from then eating more frequently will actually make things worse, and a whole other course of actions will be required.

Here are some points to get you started:

Any pain or ache in the jaw can be quite subtle or build up slowly, so you may be used to the level of discomfort: in other words, don't dismiss if it if your jaw "feels" ok. Here are some ways I discovered I had it:

- Fatigue wave when singing in the shower first thing in the morning. (this helped eliminate "food" as a cause)

- Tiredness when talking or chewing for some time (for me, 30 sec+) Regardless of the nutrient etc content.

- Quickly reciting a 2 min speech is a good test. I would be falling over with tiredness after that.

- Tiredness reaction increasing with chewy or chunchy food. (Can be confusing though because on a bad day, reactions more extreme regardless)

- Dentist diagnosed misaligned jaws (bite, grinding)

- Pain and tension apparent when touching the area, the base of the ears (again not a great test though, seems to be a tender point for many people)

What helped it?

No. 1 factor was a night splint from the dentist. This was like a very small mouthpiece that went across about 4 of my top teeth. (older ones are full mouth, hold your bite etc - this one was minimal and just kept things apart while I slept).

Now, I wore this for about 3 months, most night. (then I lost it). In that time I think it successfully conditioned my bite enough to not grind, get stuck in the wrong position, and "clench down" so much.

No. 2 factor was retraining myself not to clench at the same time. For a couple of weeks I constantly reminded myself not to tense up my jaw and just keeping the teeth apart, and practised holding my bite more correctly (got used to the new "feel of it). With the help of the splint at the same time, enough of this stuck.

With the above, little bits of massage and keeping my jaw more loose and limber with gentle little face massages and practise chewing (no contact) through the day. (these weren't anything I learnt or anything special - just rubbing my jaw and moving it slowly, really).

Worth a mention was Chiropractic manipulation, although they didn't seem to have a long term answer, relief for only a day or two. (and advice from chiro to "chew lightly" was sound enough but didn't actually improve the problem)

One thing the chiro did help with overall, is that they would re-align my jaw, then I could "feel" the difference and try to go back to the more correct bite. A real help when encouraging myself to retrain.

No 4. would be working on my fatigue in general, and being less stressed and tired day to day. This definitely was an integral part. My jaw clenches up when I'm under stress or excessively tired.

With persistence it has faded well, it took a few months to get going and is largely gone a year later. I still have my moments from day to day, but it really is minimised.

I'm just speaking from experience. I am not trying to push a theory or give medical advice, just saying what worked or didn't work for me. Best of luck with your own fatigue, keep searching and you will find answers!

Subby

Last edited by moderator2; 01-17-2008 at 03:19 PM.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:50 AM   #5
(male)

Saverain HB User

I think I know why, basically your digestive system is weak....Not trying to be mean it's that way for a lot of people. I had it for a long time. Let me explain what's going on.

You put food in your mouth, you chew and your saliva (amylase enzyme (pancrease)) along with the enzymes in the foods you eat (if any in them) breaks down the food. Then the food moves down to your stomach.

The stomach has Hydrochloric Acid which activates these amino acids called pepsins to break down the proteins in your food. Then the food (Chyme) continues slowly down to your duodenum.

This is where your gallbladder releases bile to break down fats and your pancrease releases the enzyme lipase to break down the fats some more in order to be easily absorbed by your small intestines down below.

Ok so really you can have either of two problems mainly, your not producing enough digestive enzymes or the bile from your gallbladder is missing components.

Enzymes - to fix this you will have to improve the function of your pancrease in releasing enzymes, manganese supplements will help along with protein. To just manage it for now you will have to eat raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds that contain enzymes in themselves which makes it easier on your digestive system. That is all you should be eating. Also chew your food really well.

Bile - Well this has to due with your liver, if you drink you may have a fatty liver which is causing your body to be sluggish. Your bile needs to be acidic and if your liver is not working properly it will not produce cholic acid well, which will effect the utilization of fats. So if this is the case choline supplements will help.

There are other things that are probably going on like possibly reative hypoglycemia. But you should feel a lot better following the above.

Last edited by Saverain; 01-18-2008 at 12:53 AM.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
(male)

DinnerBell HB User

When you digest food, blood flow increases into your intestines to aid in the digestion. The parasympathetic nervous system, which is the "rest" mode of your nervous system, is activated to help in the digestion. This usually results in depressed energy levels and even fatigue. So it is normal to expect some fatigue from eating food. If you think you have too much fatigue, you may want to see a doctor.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

Hi, maybe next time you go to the Dr you should have a blood sugar test. I am a type two diabetic and for real, if I eat anything out of line I will konk right out, sitting up-glasses on, bowl in my hand. I mean knock out konkers. I am usually good with watching what I eat but even good food can do it-expecially carbohydrates. Fruits, cereals, bread (white, brown, whole wheat) any bread. I am so sugar sensitive that even some sugar free foods ie: jello instant pudding-has aspartum in it and my blood sugar will spike, sugar free syrups, icecreams, beverages etc. Always have some protien with your meal and see if that helps, it helps me. But I would check it out for sure.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:03 AM   #8
(female)

Betty64 HB User

I guess my blood work is o.k. because my doctor is worried I get tired after eating because my heart is put on a strain - overworking. She wants me to get a stress test.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:52 AM   #9
(female)

prussianblue HB User

Stacey, you wrote:"Olive Leaf Extract (in liquid form). I take 5mL of a 1000mg/mL strength liquid. When my tonsils are inflamed, or I have a sore tongue, it helps a lot. "

Is a sore tongue a symptom of CFS? I have a sore tongue all the time, and have been seeing dentists, who are treating "dry mouth" and dismissing my complaints about a sore tongue.

Closed Thread