It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
(female)

ELECSKIN HB User
im sooo desperate for advice on post viral fatigue

please can someone give me advice?
my doc has told me i have post viral fatigue after a chest viral infection 5 weeks ago, he has reassured me that with rest i will ben fine but i dont seem to be getting any better and im crying all the time and feel so depressed my main symptoms are inability to sleep and muscle pain and weakness.
does anyone know if im more likely to just get over this, because when i read about cfs its geared more to 'when youve had it six months', i feel like im just waiting for this six months to arrive i just want my life back for my kids more than anything, please respond!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
(female)

molitor HB User
Re: im sooo desperate for advice on post viral fatigue

Are you taking any form of supplements to assist? PVFS can be as debilitating as CFS. I suffered for a year with PVFS / CFS and I still have the after effects now, but I think with a positive attitude and good nutrition and exercise it does help.

I was at rock bottom or at least felt at rock bottom at times, I cried and ached and just felt sometimes I couldn't go on, but after a while it gradually felt a bit better, it took a long time and lots of ginseng and multivitamins, I took glutamine powder and made sure I had a really healthy diet, although at times I wondered if it was actually working.

I don't know what the real answer is.. I was put on medication which seemed to make things worse. I think the passage of time is a great healer, I don't believe that prescription medicine helps alot with this condition.

Its been 18months since I was first diagnosed with it and I would say i'm 90-95% better. I've had to adjust my life, which has been hard being young and a mum and working full time, i've had to make allowances for the days when I do feel really tired and fed up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
(female)

ELECSKIN HB User

hi thanks for your reply, were you really bad at first i just feel like ive been knocked off my feet also how do you accept being like this i just cant imagine this life! how old are you im 32 with two young kids i cant even look after them properley, my doctor keeps telling me not to worry that most of these post viral problems dissapear within a few weeks and dont develop into ME but i seem to be feeling worse each day! im only taking a vitamin tonic at the moment im not eating much and ive lost over a stone in 6 weeks, please give me some advice on how to get through this!!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:57 AM   #4
(female)

caz50 HB User
Smile Re: im sooo desperate for advice on post viral fatigue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECSKIN View Post
please can someone give me advice?
my doc has told me i have post viral fatigue after a chest viral infection 5 weeks ago, he has reassured me that with rest i will ben fine but i dont seem to be getting any better and im crying all the time and feel so depressed my main symptoms are inability to sleep and muscle pain and weakness.
does anyone know if im more likely to just get over this, because when i read about cfs its geared more to 'when youve had it six months', i feel like im just waiting for this six months to arrive i just want my life back for my kids more than anything, please respond!!!
I'm so sorry for you. My daughter had glandular fever at 10 years old and was left with cfs. She was very ill and it took a couple of years to get a diagnosis as she had to have so many tests. I had terrible trouble getting people to take my daughter seriously but I made a fuss and stood my ground to get things done. Do you have a supportive partner, friend or relative to help you? It must be very difficult for you with children. Cfs is a very debilitating illness and I know what you must be going through - it was terrible to watch my daughter going through this awful thing and not be able to do anything but in saying all that, with time and rest and trying to stay positive (a positive mental attitude does work wonders) she has eventually come out the other side and although she has missed out on schooling and the normal 'growing up' she has still managed to pass her G.C.S.Es with home-tutoring. She has been so brave and now she does have her life back as you will! She is now 17 and has been better for 2 years. Please try not to be too depressed and down as this will only make things worse! Get some support, join a support group, look it up on the net and keep yourself as occupied as possible - one day soon you'll wake up and say "I feel better" with a smile on your face and gradually you'll be back to your old self!! Good luck to you hun! I wish you a speedy recovery. xxx P.S. If you're having trouble sleeping ask your doc for Melatonin - it works very well.

Last edited by caz50; 02-28-2008 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Adding info

Old 02-28-2008, 04:28 AM   #5
(female)

ELECSKIN HB User

hi caz50, thanks for your reply im so glad your daughters ok now this is not something any child should have to suffer sometimes i think kids are stronger than us adults! did your daughter start to pick up or was she ill the whole 5 years ive read a lot of symptoms wax and wane with cfs perhaps if this is the case i can have a level of quality to do normal stuff with my kids. i do have a hubby and a great mum and mum in law who have helped me loads i just need to find an inner strength to accept my horrible new life and re-adjust its hard to be happy going along with life and something so trivial as a virus can turn everyones world upside down! thanks again fo your support

Closed Thread