It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #1
(female)

prussianblue HB User
How can you tell if you have a cold when you've had flue like symptoms for 8 months?

I can only suspect that I have a cold because I was out with people yesterday who all have colds, and there were lots of hugs and kisses (the two cheek kind, as is our habit here in montreal). I'm always congested and tired and achy, with sniffles, and itchy eyes. Today it just feels a bit worse, with a stuffy head. Any thoughts?
Why I ask is that I dont usually take cold medications, it doesnt seem to work. But I believe I may have provoked the CFS by ignoring a bad cold last year, and I've learned my lesson now.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User
Re: How can you tell if you have a cold when you've had flue like symptoms for 8 mont

It could be a cold although it might be allergies since it's definitely the season for that now. Have you ever been tested? You could be suffering from numerous ones and not just seasonal allergies since you experience this on a regular basis. The symptoms of a cold and allergies are very similar, by the way, and the treatments for them are similar too...using antihistamines for the itchy eyes, runny nose and decongestants for the stuffy sinuses.

Last edited by CFD 333; 04-19-2008 at 08:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
(female)

prussianblue HB User
Re: How can you tell if you have a cold when you've had flue like symptoms for 8 mont

Thanks for your interest. I've been tested for allergies, but no, I don't have any, but I do have a number of chemical sensitivities (metal, perfume, etc) and food intolerances (fruit, nuts), but they are mostly the topical reactions: rashes, blisters, canker sores. I've been struggling with these since I was 16, and I'm 57 now - so 40 years may have taken its toll on my immune system.
I also am highly sensitive to psychotropic drugs, so when I take an antihistamine like benadryl, I get very whoozy. So I limit medications and the rheumatologist prefers that I focus on simple good lifestyle practices.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
(male)

David 12321 HB User

I have a very hard time telling what is what. I know if the people around me are sick and my symptoms are worse, that I probably caught something. On my own, I don't know if I have a cold or flu or if the cfs/fibro is flaring as the symptoms are very similar.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
(male)

parisean HB User

Hey Prussianblue,
The only way I can tell if I am sick with something new is to ask a friend if they think I am sick. They usually can tell if I am not my "normal" self. I used to get sick when anyone came into the room with anything till I started taking garlic gels. Taking one a day seemed to help stop that. Now I don't get sick, but about once or twice a year.
What a relief!

I hear ya on the drug thing. I just came off Paxil. OMG! I am in that 5% that has really bad symptoms from that drug. I'm still cycling through the withdrawal symptoms on a regular basis. Its really tough when your symptoms change day to day and you are left wondering what's going on!?

I never cared about all this stuff when I was well! Now I sound like my Grand Parents. "Well honey, I finally had a BM today....." (as a child) Oh please Grandma is there a reason you had to tell me that? (as an adult) Sorry Grandma, I now understand how you felt. lol
Paris

Old 04-27-2008, 01:36 AM   #6
(female)

kiya HB User

I can tell immediately if I'm sick or have hayfever on top of my "normal" fatigue. But I've always been able to distinguish between the ongoing fatigue, which I call my background fatigue, and what would be a normal tiredness I get at the end of a long day, which disappears with a night's sleep. Plus I've never really had any flu-like symptoms with the chronic fatigue (except the spaced out wooziness thing).

I think that if you have had flu symptoms for months then it would be impossible to tell if you have a cold or allergies on top of that.

Closed Thread