It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
(female)

shalyn1677 HB User
Question Until disability

I'm having trouble working....and I fear disability is in my very, very near future. How do I survive financially between the point of having to quit work until the point I receive disability benefits? I don't have any family who can take me in.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Ambivalent HB User
Re: Until disability

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalyn1677 View Post
I'm having trouble working....and I fear disability is in my very, very near future. How do I survive financially between the point of having to quit work until the point I receive disability benefits? I don't have any family who can take me in.
Pretty scary situation. It is good that you are thinking ahead.

You may have some benefits available through your employer or health insurance to hold you over temporarily - I would contact someone in human resources directly, anonymously if possible, and not discuss with my boss unless you feel very very secure in your position.

Many states have temporary assistance for adults that you might be eligible for. In some offices workers are not forth coming about dollar amounts (how much you are allowed to have in savings etc) until you are actually applying, but it is a good idea to get as much info as you can asap. The eligibility requirements can probably be found online at your state's web site.

Your state will look at your bank balances and other assets like home car coin collections etc in determining eligibility and award amount so it might be a good idea to move some assets now if you have two cars etc. There are likely rules about liquidating your assets - somehow I think they frown on someone selling an art collection for $1 to one's mother the day before applying for assistance lol . In my state you are allowed a car, I think a home, and other assets up to something like $5000 .

You can get a benefit analysis done for you which I think can tell you how much money you can expect from disability (and maybe state assistance) and how many hours you could possibly work without it affecting your disability income. If you have an independent living center (for people with disabilities) they may have someone who can do a benefit analysis or tell you where to go to get one. An Ombudsman may also be able to find out where you can get one. Actually, it occurs to me that in order to determine how much you are allowed to work without losing benefits you probably have to already be receiving the benefits...

I have a cousin who takes an amphetamine an hour before he gets up and several more doses during the day to enable him to work part time. You might ask your doc if that is a possibility to help you continue longer than you could otherwise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread