It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
(female)

wrenegade HB User
Question Stimulants? What works to get you through the day? HELP, Please!

Hi everyone,

I've had chronic fatigue for many, many years. I've tried many, many natural remedies.. . some help a little and some not at all. I also have a severe back problem -- spondylolisthesis -- which causes a lot of pain. I take 3 hydrocodone a day for the back pain which, of course, makes me more tired.

In spite of all of this, I have to work full time as my husband's income alone does not provide enough. I'm a teacher's aide in a special needs classroom. I basically work, rest, go back to work. Still, I am thankful that I can work and not be bedridden with this.

I drink a lot of tea and started drinking coffee a little lately, but it is hard on my stomach, so I cannot drink much.

My question: what has anyone tried in the way of stimulants that has helped? I know it is hard on the adrenals and I may be asking for more trouble, but in the meantime, I have to make it through each day somehow.

My pain management doc had suggested switching to Lyrica as a lot of my pain is nerve-related. Of course, that is not a stimulant, but what do you think?

Also, what is ME that I see people mention in conjunction with CFS?

Thank you,
wren

Old 08-21-2008, 05:05 AM   #2
(female)

kgirl04 HB User
Re: Stimulants? What works to get you through the day? HELP, Please!

ME stands for Myalgic Encephalitis(sp?) which is the same thing as Chronic Fatigue. Different parts of the world/country have different names for the same illness. If your in England they call Mono, Glandular Fever. I think Canada may cal CFS, ME.
My neurologist prescribes Adderall for my fatigue, after trying several different scripts, the Adderall seems to work best for me, although it makes me very irritable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
(female)

TiredOTired HB User

I got my dr. to prescribe me adderral as well for my fatigue. (I didn't tell him that at the time, I was being seen for depression and told him that my sister and my son both were add and that was how I got on it.) It is the only way to keep me awake through an entire day. I literally stopped taking it for 2 days (I am severely anemic) after I had my iron upped and felt a bit better (I also have fibro) and literally fell asleep the MINUTE I walked in the door from work. (around 6 pm) I woke up at like 10:30pm and thought, "jeez what the heck happened." After this happening for 2 days straight, I am back on it. I am not sure about what to do for long term. I worry about that.

However, I am also on cymbalta as I have anxiety as well, and it was making me CRAZY without it. It makes anxiety issues worse if you have them.

Last edited by TiredOTired; 08-21-2008 at 09:30 AM.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
(female)

wrenegade HB User

thanks for your input. . . I'll talk to my doc about it. What kind of doctor do you guys go to? I haven't been to a doc in years about my CF. The last one I went to for it (at least 10 years ago) was an alternative/MD. The PA at the clinic where I go for my primary care seems to have the all-in-your-head syndrome. My only other doctor at this time is my pain management doctor. Oh, I see now that kgirl04 said "neurologist." But my experience with neurologists has been mostly bad so far.

I am interested in Cymbalta as I have nerve pain plus mood and sleep issues. Maybe it can help all three, but does it make you tired?

wren

Old 08-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
(female)

TiredOTired HB User

I would not advise taking Cymbalta without also having an "upper." It will make you more tired. I am taking both at the same time. I simply get mine now from my primary care dr. I did see a psychiatrist originally to get the adderral however and it might be hard to get from your primary care-based on your insurance--if you have any. Cymbalta is expensive without insurance. I don't advise taking anything. I am simply letting you know my experiences. I am hoping that when I am well again, I can get through a day without needing adderral as my skin is breaking out very badly--although since my hormones are out of whack right now as well, it is hard to blame it solely on that. Hope this helps.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
(female)

wrenegade HB User

Thank you for your help. I have read the side effects of Cymbalta. . doesn't sound good. I am trying Lyrica. . though I know it has side effects. . too. I hope you get some relief somehow and your skin clears up. Your name TiredOTired is perfect. . .Aren't we all so tired of being tired? I'm wondering how many of you are forced by circumstances to continue to work a 40-hour week? I know I am not alone. . .

Blessings,
wren

Old 09-09-2008, 06:05 AM   #7
(female)

kgirl04 HB User

Hi Wrenegade..the neurologist I see, specializes in Immunology..he treats pt's who have neuro issues stemming from Immunological dysfunctions, such as Lupus, MS, EBV, etc...I get Adderall from him, I had tried Cymbalta and slept all day both days I took it...so I stopped taking it...tried Lyrica also, had shortness of breath from that...I also have asthma, I don't know if it effects people with asthma like that only.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
(female)

TiredOTired HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
Thank you for your help. I have read the side effects of Cymbalta. . doesn't sound good. I am trying Lyrica. . though I know it has side effects. . too. I hope you get some relief somehow and your skin clears up. Your name TiredOTired is perfect. . .Aren't we all so tired of being tired? I'm wondering how many of you are forced by circumstances to continue to work a 40-hour week? I know I am not alone. . .

Blessings,
wren
Thanks for your reply. I have since I last posted stopped taking the adderral. I am tired, but not dropping head first--most days--onto my desk. My skin has also cleared up and since my hormones are still jacked, I am going to blame it on the adderral. I am still on the Cymbalta, and I will say that without it I might start fist fights with strangers in the grocery store--so it is working.

I know my name takes the cake, but it actually was due to my anemia. I am also dealing with fibro (and many other health ailments) but since I am getting my anemia under control, the tired is no longer my worst symptom--my chronic pain has taken that spot.

I am forced to work a 45 hour week as I have a child that needs my support (so actually another full time job there as well)... I am single and have little if any support as most of my family lives out of state and my friends have all long since bailed as they do not understand chronic illnesses.

So, you aren't alone.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Nixi HB User

I know the pressures of life too. I have fibro and CFS/ME and have struggled with work, uni, kids as we feel that 'we've GOT to carry on', until I had the decision taken out of my hands when I woke up completely paralysed!! I'm really sorry to say this, but please try and look and see if there is any way you can reduce what you're doing, or have some time out, before the decision is taken away from you.(and I pray it won't be) I've been off work now for 18 months, with a failed phased return in the middle. I finally feel as though I'm on a road to recovery. I'm on carbamazepine for the nerve pain of the fibro and I've found that really helps me! I'm also on Mirtazapine for depression (the depression is a result of the illness!). I'm just really weary when people look for 'pick me ups'. I have found that time to recover is vital!!! and yes it's financially difficult, and I'm lucky I have good support around me.

Good Luck, I really hope you manage to improve and get to manage this horrible illness. Lots of hugs and best wishes to you!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:40 AM   #10
(male)

FEELBAD62 HB User

Cortef, Provigil and Enada NADH are helping alot with my fatigue and brain fog.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #11
(female)

wrenegade HB User

Thank you all for responding. I really do need to something, but I am not sure where to begin. I am doing a little better with getting to bed earlier.

Nixi, I appreciate your honesty and concern. I have been concerned about something like what you've experienced happening to me. Did you have any warning signs? Sometimes, when at rest, my legs and arms will jump and twitch involuntarily and lately I've had palpatations (heart). This concerns me as I understand a little (very little) about adrenaline and heart issues. How are you doing now? Thank God you have some support. I really do not have much of that.

Feelbad62, I had tried the NADH once before without much success, but I was thinking of trying that again. What kind of doctor do you get the Cortef and Provigil from?

kgirl04 How do you go about finding a neurologist/immunologist? I do have insurance right now. Do you need a referral? Who would refer you?

I've had my current job only 3 years and, at age 50, this is the first job I've *ever* had with insurance and retirement benefits. I'd hate to lose all this. I if can hold out another 3 years, I'll at least be vested for a small (very) retirement at age 62. I thought I might start applying for disability now and maybe in 3 years, I'll be able to get it or something. My husband is very loving and a kind, gentle person, but as far as financial security, I may as well be single. I am just started going to a mental health conselor and my global score was 3 or 4, which if you are familiar with that, is not good. Please just keep me in your prayers if you will. I believe God will lead me, but it is very hard to see what to do right now.
bye for now,
wren

Old 09-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Nixi HB User

Hi Wren,
I can't remember what warning signs I had (but then I had no brain or memory then). I also got the twitches you speak of, thankfully they seem to have gone now! I believe palpitations are quite common (among non cfs people too) so try not to worry too much as anxiety will cause that, too much caffeine does too, but obviously get your heart checked with your GP just to alley any fears. I lost control of my muscles almost all the time- if I was happy, anxious, over tired etc. They queried narcolepsy at one point! Everyone is different though so it's important to listen to the warning signs your body is giving you now. I appreciate you not wanting to give up your job, but maybe you could re-look at everything in your life- try and reduce what you do in the house, with the kids, changing how you do things at work? etc. I have had to completely change my way of thinking. I also work(ed) with children with special needs and know the challenges of that- emotionally as well as physically.

I am seeing a psychotherapist and that is helping me a lot (although it's a slow process). He talks about 'good selfishness' which is putting yourself first, something that as mothers/ carers we tend not to do, but it's vital. If you don't look after yourself first, you'll be no good at looking after anyone else!

Sorry...lecture over! I really wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted with how you get on. Hugs xxx

Old 09-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
(female)

wrenegade HB User

Dear Nixi,
Thank you for you response. I am indeed doing as you suggested. . re-examining everything in my life. And that includes a lot of deep issues. What kind of work did you do with special needs children? Was that the job you had to stop?

I did go see a LMHC (counsler) last week and plan to go again if I can afford it. He is not on my insurance but agreed to see me at a reduced rate. It did help to talk to him and it helps mentally just knowing I am finally doing something (at least talking about it) and not in denial.

How long were you paralyzed? Is that considered a true nervous breakdown?

I don't have children or grandchildren; that can be good or bad, but for the most part, I am glad I don't have those worries even though I have longed for children at times which is why it is hard to ask for a transfer and leave my 18 "babies!!"

Blessings,
wren

Old 11-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #14
(female)

renie51 HB User

Dear Wren: I have chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia. This was diagnosed when I went to see a rheumatologist for my chronic back pain. He sent me to a clinic that helped me to learn simple relaxation techniques. People with CF never seem to relax enough to get a decent night's sleep. Then he prescribed Provigl for me. This helps only some of the time. I still feel exhausted and it is affecting me emotionally. I am trying very hard to take care of myself, but nothing seems to be working. My newest attempt is getting some B complex powder, absolutely NO sugar or white anything and high protein. I also read somewhere to keep very well hydrated and that caffeine is of course a dehydrater. So I will keep the board posted. But, please, please if anyone has any success stories, please share. I am really frustrated and depressed. Renie51

Closed Thread