It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
(male)

ABC1111 HB User
Exercise & how long till it shows its effectiveness?

Hello all,

I have extreme tiredness & sleepiness and possibly CFS.

One doctor advised me to exercise. I wonder if exercise is really helpful. How many weeks or month do I need to exercise intensively in order to see if it is going to affect CFS?

While I do feel good immeadetely after it (endorphins?) for about 20min-1hr , after that the energy levels fall, and I wonder if it was worth it.

Even though I've used to be in good shape and in alright shape now, I have to take lots of coffee, and hear the quickest and strongest music in order to be able to exercise at all. Often I have unexplained muscle pains/weakness (not due to exercise or soreness) even though I can do half-squats on bowflex up to 33 times using 410 pounds.

If intense exercise is going to help at all, usually how long does it take for its long lasting beneficial effects (if any) to kick in?

Thank you,

Old 09-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
(female)

lojo222 HB User
Re: Exercise & how long till it shows its effectiveness?

I have been wondering about this myself. It's rare that I feel good enough to exercise and I consider my housework that I struggle through as my workout. But, I have also noticed that even on the days where I am most exhausted I always feel better if I move around, even if it's just a little. So, exercise must give us some energy. The problem is where do you draw the line. I get very sick if I do too much, so is walking laps around the block going to make me sick too? I guess the only way to know is trial and error. I think I am going to start with very small walks and see how my body responds. I am in bad shape, though. I would think if you are in good shape, you could do more. Just be careful. If your doctor reccomends it, maybe he has seen that it helps some people with this condition. I would think in our case with our illness it would definetly take longer to see the benefits.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
(male)

ABC1111 HB User

I used to be exercise "fanatic". I used to exercising a lot 5 or so years ago.

Neither at that time, nor now, does the exercise seem to change a whole lot with fatigue and such...

Unfortunately the exercise in fact gives more problems to me. I am hungry as a dog and the hormones go beyond the comfort zone... I don't want to be eating 6 times or so per day!

So I guess I should stop exercising if it isn't helping. The only thing is that I don't want to cut short the experiment which is why I've asked the original question...

IMHO, exercise is WELL overrated.

Last edited by ABC1111; 09-04-2008 at 10:34 AM.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
(female)

lojo222 HB User

what kind of exercising are you doing? Do you think it's too strenuous. Maybe just walking, or yoga. I am afriad to try any exercise regime at this point. I am in the middle of a flare like I haven't had in a year. I think all the running around I did when I felt good caused it. You will have to decide if it's worth it or not. My gastro doctor told me absolutely no exercise while I had this. I don't think they know what do to with us.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
(male)

ABC1111 HB User

I lift weights (bowflex mostly). In the past couple of weeks it was about 5-6 times per week. I do keep workouts short though and eat heavy before and after. As I'm 24, I do not think that I am overdoing it considering that I used to exercise very heavily years before.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am planning on trying vegetarianism for a month, or so, to see if it changes the energy levels.

Last edited by ABC1111; 09-04-2008 at 04:35 PM.

Closed Thread