It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
(female)

nancyjo HB User
Question Rhodiola Rosea knocked me out...advice?

Hi all--

I read some info about Rhodiola Rosea and thought I would give it a try in the hope that it will replace the Provigil NO doctor will prescribe for me (though two have told me I need it).

Not only did my energy level NOT increase, but I fell asleep for two hours within two hours of taking it...I am so disappointed!

Now I am completely clueless as to what might help me. Are there any other herbals you would recommend? Does anyone know how I can get injectible b12 online without a prescription? I take very high doses of sublingual methylcobalamin (b12), but it doesn't make any difference insofar as the fatigue is concerned. I also take 975mg (very high dose) of ferrous sulfate (iron) daily for moderately severe, chronic anemia.

One other thing I'm considering kind of scares me: I've seen that I can order dextroamphetamine online without a prescription, but I have serious concerns about the safety and legality of doing that.

Thanks for any info,
nancyjo

Old 07-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
(male)

sRazz HB User
Re: Rhodiola Rosea knocked me out...advice?

You didn't mention what brand you took or what amount - one sad thing about herbal supplements is that there are a lot of snake-oil salesmen out there. I now stick almost exclusively to Swanson Health Products' supplements. Not only is their quality very high, but their prices are extremely competitive.

Rhodiola has been my miracle. But, it can only do so much. It's not like an amphetamine - it's not going to fight your body to keep you awake when you're totally exhausted. It might take more than one dose before it 'kicks in' - think about how long it takes antibiotics to take effect; why would you expect immediate results from an herbal supplement?

Make sure you have a trustworthy brand (if the Rhodiola is from China, expect widely varying effectiveness) and give it a week or two. Be aware that it's effect can be subtle. By that I mean it doesn't give you a 'buzz' like caffeine or amphetamines or similar chemicals. It's effects are gradual and gentle. I know I'm describing it poorly, but I'm not sure how else to put it.

I take 2 400mg capsules in the morning, and on really bad days I'll take a couple more later in the day. It's helped my energy levels, helped raise my basal temperature by a full degree, and most importantly for me, has decreased the 'brain fog', memory and concentration problems.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
(female)

New To CP HB User

Nancy,

I certainly hope you are not still considering buying an amphetamine based product online without a prescription!!!! I know we talked about this briefly, but I never did get a chance to tell you about my dear friend who wanted to start taking Xanax for anxiety and couldn't get an Rx so she started buying it online... Let's just say, it was the worst thing I have ever had to witness a person go through. First of all, most of the 'pharmacies' are located overseas where there are no regulations on what is in the drug or the dosage requirements. You have NO idea if your body will adapt to the drug and if it has interactions with other meds you take. Some drug interactions can kill you!!! Second of all, they often 'suggest' that you take more than a normal MD would prescribe and to take it at higher frequencies. The rationale for this... They want you addicted so that you continue to buy the products from them.. Third, it's really illegal (FELONY) and very expensive. What you would pay for a months supply at a licensed pharmacy in the US can cost 4-6 times what you would pay for a CASH price at a pharmacy.

PLEASE don't do this.. My friend ended up having severe addiction to the 'Xanax' she was buying, but that was the least of her concern!!! She had interactions btwn the meds and ended up having seizures. What's even worse she would have periods where she would revert to child like behaviors and talk that she couldn't control. She lost all of her rational thought and started doing things like walking around the neighborhood naked. They had her drugs 'tested' by the police department after this whole ordeal and it turned out that a few of the months supply she was give was actually the real drug Xanax but was in huge doses and mixed with really weird stuff and some of the months Rx's were totally fake or had completely different drugs in them...

She ended up in a rehab facility for the addiction for a month and then had tons of medical issues and detoxing from all of the harmful effects of the 'drug'..

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!

-An eye for and eye leaves the whole world blind.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #4
(female)

nancyjo HB User

Not to worry, Leila, I'm not going that route! I have started taking pharmaceutical-grade vitamins and an herbal supplement for increased alertness and they seem to be helping, so I am thankful for that. The supplement contains rhodiola, Siberian ginseng, and two other ingredients whose names are escaping me at present.

sRazz, thank you for your input. My hope is that the supplements I'm currently on will continue helping me feel more alert, but it would be good to have the name of a trustworthy source for supplements in the future.

Cheers,
Nancy

Last edited by Mod-S4; 07-26-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

I understand that Rhodolia reduces the amount of cortisol/etc that your body produces - so if you are suffering too much cortisol then this might be right for you, but if you are suffering low cortisol then rhodolia is only going to make it worse.

I've just started taking siberian ginseng for low cortisol, it's highly rated, but have only been taking it for a few days so can't say how it's affecting me yet.

Do an internet search for adaptogens and cortisol and you should get more information..
Hope this helps, and best of luck.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
(male)

Kighton HB User

There is a lot of low quality Rhodiola rosea out there, mainly coming from China. I have tried multiple brands of the herb and saw little results with many of them. The best one I have found is called RestoRose. It works very well for my fatigue symptoms.

However, if you have tried many different herbal products as well as B12 and nothing seems to be helping at all you may have low thyroid hormone levels. Hypothyroidism is very common and can make someone chronically very tired all of the time no matter how much sleep they get. You should probably get your TSH levels measured at the doctor if you haven't done so already to find out if that is the source of your problem. If that is the issue, using conventional energy supplements and such won't help much.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
(male)

rysod HB User

I was also denied drug treatment. What were the reasons/excuses given by your physician regarding provigil?
It is a very expensive drug and I hate to think this is a reason I was denied it's use after being tested for every disease and disorder with no results, with common themes of CFS but denied a possible treatment.

Closed Thread