It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
(female)

hmj211 HB User
Managing anemia and general pain due to isotretinoin; how can I get more potassium?

Hi. I take iron gel capsules (over-the-counter) for the anemia, a multivitamin with zinc, iron, and (some) magnesium, 50 mg of sertraline (generic for Zoloft) and 30 mg of isotretinoin (generic for Accutane). I took Accutane for two years and the muscle/joint pain was pretty bad (the anemia had been undiagnosed). I dealt with it with ibuprofen (not very helpful).

Because the cystic acne came back, I've gone back on a low dose of the isotretinoin and would like to get more potassium in my diet. I went to my primary care physician recently who said everything "checked out," including my iron levels, but in general, I'm thinking about supplementing my diet with more zinc, vitamin C, B vitamins and potassium.

I know where to get the former; is there a potassium supplement I can take? I see drugstore supplements for potassium gluconate; one pill only supplies 3% of the daily requirement (so it lists on the bottle). What can I buy in the drugstore that won't negatively interact with zinc, iron, or anything else I'm taking?

I drink milk and eat vegetables (including "leafy greens"), so I know I'm probably some portion of my daily allotment, but does anyone know if there's a form of potassium I can take that'll meet my needs--potassium citrate? Potassium chloride?

Does anyone know if I can skip taking lots of C or B supplements by taking acai or reservatrol (sp?) instead?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
(female)

Arby2010 HB User
Smile Re: Managing anemia and general pain due to isotretinoin; how can I get more potassiu

I have Kidney problems....So I read a lot of labels before I use spices on food. I noticed when I was buying a salt substitute called "NO SALT" it was 20% of your daily requiredments of potassium per use.
Hope this helps...

Old 03-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
(female)

Arby2010 HB User
Smile Re: Managing anemia and general pain due to isotretinoin; how can I get more potassiu

I have Kidney problems....So I read a lot of labels before I use spices on food. I noticed when I was buying a salt substitute called "NO SALT" it was 20% of your daily requiredments of potassium per use.
Hope this helps...

Closed Thread