It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
(female)

ssjuly HB User
Low white blood cell count and chronic fatigue

I have read that a Low white cell count can have many causes and that some people run low for years. I am having tests done to see about CFS and other autoimmune disorders and those fit my symptoms. I am freaking out a little because of course they are trying to rule out cancer of some type too. The waiting (3-4 weeks) is really stressful and scary. If anyone has had similar experiences of low wbc with an autoimmune disorder I'd love to hear about it! Trying to stay positive and hopeful : )

Old 03-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Sensitivo HB UserSensitivo HB User
Re: Low white blood cell count and chronic fatigue

I had a low white blood cell count in the early stages of CFS. It resolved on its own. Then, three years ago, it was again low. Each time it was retested over a period of a few months, it was lower still. This also resolved itself. My husband (generally healthy, and a non CFSer) has experienced the same. Although I understand your current concern, the outcome for you may not be as serious as you fear. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
(male)

CFIDS HB User

Well I have been sick for 4yrs now, and am diagnosed with CFS, but of course there is not 100% test for it. But I had the titers for 3 of the common viruses associated with CFIDS.

My WBC has been 4.3 most tests over the last 4yrs...then, once it was 5.1 and then I began immune building operations on my own and it was 6.2 and then most recently 5.8...

I was also scared of cancer, but none of my doctors have ever thought, suggested, or even bothered to test for cancer. I believe it is CFDIS, but CFIDS is only a "syndrome" or collection of symptoms and not even really a disease. I also have adrenal issues and possible thyroid but it is hard to say what came 1st, the chicken or the egg.

I am reading a book right now that suggests that adrenal fatigue is the root problem and that opens you up to be vulnerable to get CFIDS or other disorders. and for the record, I am not even 100% sure CFIDS (CFS) is even an autoimmune disorder...my ANA was negative, and my sedimentation rate normal, and my rhumitoid factor normal too...50% of sources I see call it an autoimmune disorder, and 50% say it is not...

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-31-2010 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Removed Quote of immediately preceding post. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #4
(female)

dost HB User

Lyme also causes chronic fatigue syndrome and WBC can be low. Have you thought about being tested for Lyme and you might still have lyme with negative test results, only Lyme literate Dr can give you the right answer.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
(male)

CFIDS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dost View Post
Lyme also causes chronic fatigue syndrome and WBC can be low. Have you thought about being tested for Lyme and you might still have lyme with negative test results, only Lyme literate Dr can give you the right answer.
well my family doctor did a Lyme blood test...basically Lyme & CFIDS is the same disease except that the cause or pathogens that are responsible might be different. How can I know if it is in fact Lyme for certain? Because with my negative test results, my doctors says I don't have it. I mean I know that a doctor who knows about it might be more likely to make that diagnosis, but I want to know for sure because the symptoms of Lyme & CFIDS are basically the same. I tested positive for "past exposure" to CMV, EBV & HHV6...that is how my doctor and I came to the CFIDS/CFS diagnosis based on my symptoms too.

I was negative for Lyme and HHV7...tell me more!

BTW, my WBC count has dropped back to 4.3 again as of last week! Very common with CFIDS but Lyme too?

Last edited by CFIDS; 03-28-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
(female)

dost HB User

I had tested for lyme three times when I became sick and they all came negative, they even send my blood to < edited >. and it was also negative. The best reliable blood test for lyme would be done by < edited >. Then my friends told me stories about false blood test results and they told me to go to Lyme literate MD. You can find one from Lyme support group in your region. My lyme doctor told me that I definitely had Lyme after listening my symptoms and he told me that I would test positive after if I start antibiotics. That's what happened, I started to take antibiotics and in a month my blood test came positive for LYme. That is quite common. Lyme might overwhelm your body too much and you might not even able to have any antibodies and you need to start antibiotics as soon as possible if you have lyme.

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-31-2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Please do not post disallowed Internet websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
(male)

CFIDS HB User

So where did you say I can find a Lyme doctor? In the Lyme forum here or on another site?

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-31-2010 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Removed Quote of immediately preceding post. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
(female)

dost HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFIDS View Post
So where did you say I can find a Lyme doctor? In the Lyme forum here or on another site?
Which state you are in?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
(male)

CFIDS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dost View Post
which state you are in?
ok

Old 03-31-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

I'm curious where to find a lyme doc. I have also had several health problems over the last few years. I'm 31 yrs old. I have chronic EBV with the highest titers my doctor has ever seen. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which is an auto immune disease, and I have a chronic low white blood cell count. Mine ranges from 3.8-5. It usually sits right around 4.3 or so. I've always wondered whether or not I have lyme. It scares me though because it's been so long. I live in CA. Where should I go?

Carisa

Closed Thread