It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User
Vitamin D and B12 levels

Anyone been diagnosed with low vitamin D?

I just recently learned my level is really low, and have been put on 50,000 IU weekly for 8 weeks, and then I'll be retested.

No one ever checked my vitamin D levels before. (4 years ago I had my B12 level checked and it was 451 - which is in the normal range, but I'm now learning that level might be too low for me. My folate level was really high, through the roof, and I've also read that can mask a B12 deficiency.) I'm just wondering if taking the vitamin D will help - I really, really hope it does.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User
Re: Vitamin D and B12 levels

I've heard a lot about Vitamin D helping with fatigue so I started taking it about a month ago. I haven't noticed a big difference, but now that the days here are getting sunnier all the time, I can't tell if it's the sun or the D. If you take an acceptable amount, it won't hurt to try!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

A lot of individuals suffer from vitamin D deficiency, some studies suggest this may be partly related to overuse of sun screen. There are actually a few conditions that cause your body to not be able to absorb D.

My psychiatrist actually requested mine be tested as it can impact depression, early osteoporosis and more. My level was 2! yes 2, that is non existent! Also, calcium can not be absorbed properly without D.

I take 4000 IU daily. I haven't found it to change anything in regards to my fatigue at all. My sister on the other hand takes 50000 weekly. We will both be on such levels for the remainder of our lives. Some folks just can't keep their levels up for various reasons.

From what I learned, taking small amounts will not increase your levels as it simply "tops it off". Your body uses the D and the smaller amounts simply just put it back up to a small amount only to be used again.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
(female)

Pelliskina HB User
Question Re: Vitamin D and B12 levels

I had mine checked about 2 months ago and it was 10 I'm only 21 and my doctor said it is rare for somenone my age to have such a low number since he put me on 50000IU every sunday I don't feel particuliarly different besides the fact that I've had side effects such as my bones hurt sometimes or that it's affecting my stomach. He also said that people that recent studies of people like me who live in states with llong winters seem to have low numbers more often. He said that I have to be on it for at least a year. Has anyone had any of this side effects?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Vitamin D is an oil soluble vitamin. So, if you have had your gall bladder removed -- you need a digestive enzyme that contains oxbile to help absorb Vitmin D.

Last edited by Harry; 05-07-2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: typo

Old 05-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
(female)

KrazyKitty HB User

I found out I had low D a year ago. I was getting worse and I started taking a multivitamin out of desperation. I started to feel better. I checked what was in the multivitamin and found it had high levels of D. I mentioned it to my doc and she tested me. I started taking 10000 IU a day and felt much better. My level is now up to 60. You can get 2500 IU pills and I now take one of those a day.

Still very tired from the CFS but I was even more tired when the D was deficient. I could only bathe every other day I was so tired. Now I am bathing daily and even doing a little cooking and housecleaning.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
(female)

NCUS4 HB User

Low Vitamin D and B vitamin definciancy is also a sigh of Fibromyalgia. I have fibro and have to take these supplements. Talk to your MD about this possibility.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

I am taking 50,000 IU of Vit D weekly and monthly B-12 shots at the drs office. I took my 5th vit d pill the other day, was told both was severely low, likely due to my gerd/tummy problems. I haven't heard of a link with this and Fibromyalgia, but I have heard it can occur with people whom have autoimmune disease, & I do believe I have that. I think with Fibromyalgia, doc doesn't really know what is wrong, your excluded from having anything else wrong, but they are definetly overlooking something in the process. Well I never had any tests to determine if it could be nerve related or scans to see if it could be arthritis related. Just blood work. I believe the low B-12 gave me nerve damage, the tingling is crazy and it won't stop, even right after a shot.

With the fatigue, my doctor said in a few months he thinks this stuff will improve it. Lets just say, this stuff doesn't phase it. I stay so tired it's unreal, and my B-12 was normal in the past. It didn't cause my fatigue, so beyond me why he thinks this stuff will help. He knows that.

I have heard of a link with low b-12 and fatigue but for me, it's just something I developed 13 yrs later. It's not why I'm sick. I hope the stuff helps you, but for me, it isn't.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:54 AM   #9
(female)

impurity HB User

I've recently been diagnosed with low vitamin d and I am also on 50,000iu.. my bloods are all over the place - low vit d, high copper, low zinc, high red cell folate, anaemia... and ive just finished 6 months of iron injections...

i'm so exhausted... fatigued all the time.. they were testing me for lymphoma, but now think its a reactivation of glandular fever and malabsorption..

so i understand where you are coming from!

Old 11-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
(male)

sjs HB User

I was diagnosed with very low vitamin D levels earlier this year. I had to take 50000iu a week for 6 weeks and was retested. It was then very high so I had to stop it for a week and now I take a regular does of 400iu a day. It did not help with the fatigue but it did help with my headaches. I use to get 2 to 3 headaches a week now I get 1 or 2 a month. The doctor was surprised because he thought it would help my dizziness. At least it helped one of my symptoms.
I also take vitamin B complex on a daily basis. My stomach can't handle most vitamins but I was able to find it in a chewable and that seems to be a lot better on my stomach.It doesn't seem to give me more energy but if I stop taking it for a few days my fatigue gets worse. So I guess it somewhat helps.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

My daughter is on the 8 week prescription for low Vitamin D. You are supposed to be over 30,000 & she was at 17,000... Very low...
Symptoms of low Vitamin D are body aches, fatigue, depression, ect. Low vitamin D is common around our area (Oregon/Washington).
I started taking it myself & plan to give it to my other kids. It hasn't helped with my Fibro or Fatigue at all but I think it has helped me fight off a cold & flu! If someone is sick I usually get it these days... But I started getting a cold & beat it off quick! Then everyone in our house was getting the flu. I"m of course the caregiver. Still managed to not get it! So, I think it's good for the immune system! There is allot of good things about it!
We have to give our Alpacas & Llamas Vitamin D shots yearly.

Tori

Old 01-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

Neither vitamin D (mine was extremely low) nor B12 shots helped at all. I'm still horribly exhausted, in pain, and have tingling and all that awful neuropathic symptoms. I had the fatigue and pain before the deficiancy's. I have autoimmune disease, and gerd really bad. It didn't help me fight that cold I got. (( That cold knocked me down like having pneumonia. My b-12 is back to normal now, and vit d is getting close to normal.

Last edited by neveragain444; 01-31-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:51 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User

Neveragain, did you say you took anything for depression? I have been reading so many of these posts that I don't remember if you mentioned it or not. I wonder If maybe that is not part of my exhaustion problem, the low vitamin levels. My 18 year old daughter has issues too of being exhausted but not nearly as bad. My 17 year old son does not drink milk hardly so therefore I am not sure if he gets enough vitamin d or calcium. and teenagers absolutely freak when u ask them to swallow a pill! I might line us all up to go get tested.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygirl View Post
Neveragain, did you say you took anything for depression? I have been reading so many of these posts that I don't remember if you mentioned it or not. I wonder If maybe that is not part of my exhaustion problem, the low vitamin levels. My 18 year old daughter has issues too of being exhausted but not nearly as bad. My 17 year old son does not drink milk hardly so therefore I am not sure if he gets enough vitamin d or calcium. and teenagers absolutely freak when u ask them to swallow a pill! I might line us all up to go get tested.
My daughters dietitian says she is to drink 16 oz of milk daily but can substitute that for other things like cheese & yogurt. I don't drink milk either... But I eat alittle bit of cheese & yogurt atleast 4 times a week, my calcium is fine

Closed Thread