It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
(male)

JonnyApplesauce HB User
Can't figure it out (vegetarian)

Hi,

I have been a vegetarian for 2 years now, and I have been unhealthily tired for the last 1 of those years. It has come to the point where I sleep through classes that start at 3:30 pm, barely show up to work, and have problems completing assignments/studying. I have been to a physician and had blood tests for TSH, zinc, b12, d, and pretty much any other thing that could cause tiredness. I get my daily values of ascorbic acid and iron, easily meet my requirements of grains, vegetables/fruit, and get my protein from a wide variety of sources (nuts, lentils, flax, grains, soy, as well as animal products like eggs and yogourt - I'm not vegan yet). For the past year I have spent time experimenting with different levels of these foods, so I know I'm not allergic to soy, for example. I exercise regularly, althought not as much as I used to before this lame problem.

So I'm feeling quite helpless/hopeless at this time, and any tips on where to look next for answers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Can't figure it out (vegetarian)

Do you sleep through the night? Do you go to bed at a regular time schedule?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

I recently found out that I have hypoglycaemia, causing intense tiredness. I react badly to sugar and my blood sugars drop causing tiredness, particularly 2-3 hours after eating. I'm currently on a zero sugar diet while they investigate further as my blood sugar drops very low.
Do you think it might be related to food? If you do it might be worth cutting out all sugar for a short period of time and eating every 2-3 hours - see if it makes any difference? Eating a combination of complex carbs, fat and protein would be ideal meals/snacks.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
(male)

JonnyApplesauce HB User

Thanks for the replies

Apparently my last blood test came back positive for mono...which is the last thing I was expecting. He didn't seem too convinced though, and is sending me for vitamin d testing and also some sleep pattern test thing, sjb. As for hypoglycemia tess, my blood sugar was tested once, but it could've just been right for that moment - I'll try anything right now.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi thanks for letting us know. Are you familiar with that old time phrase "the horses are feeling their oats?"

Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Ask him to test your thyroid- TSH, FT3, FT4, TPO AB's. Fatigue is one of the hallmark symptoms of hypothyroidism. Might as well rule that out too.

Closed Thread