It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
(female)

Shastagirl79 HB User
Why is my iron so low (5-6)?

I am 31 year old woman. Hysterectomy at 26. No menstruation. Tired all the time, dizziness, confusion, nausea, low mood. What is going on.

The following user gives a hug of support to Shastagirl79:
jusbeth (11-11-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
(female)

regnissie HB User
Re: Why is my iron so low (5-6)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastagirl79 View Post
I am 31 year old woman. Hysterectomy at 26. No menstruation. Tired all the time, dizziness, confusion, nausea, low mood. What is going on.

how much blood did you lose with your hysterectomy? do they have you on any supplements?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

You need a thorough checkup to make sure you are not losing blood through the GI tract (the only place you can lose it and not see it)

You also need iron supplements. As a general rule, you'd need around 100mg per day. You can get that from 2 of the 65mg iron tablets commonly sold at pharmacies. Swallowing each one with a 250mg vitamin c pill will significantly boost the adsorbsion of iron, and get you feeling better, quicker. You will probably need to supplement for around 6 months to rebuild your bodys iron stores.

If you are on oral iron and it isnt working, you might have to discuss injectable iron with your doctor.

You realy must go back to your doctor and discuss occult blood loss.

Last edited by jonnstar; 11-10-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:48 AM   #4
(female)

jusbeth HB User

Hi Shastagirl79, your symptoms sound similar to Fibromyalgia. With it being 7 years since your hysterectomy, you probably have already gone through menopause/hormone treatments? It isn't just low iron that causes your symptoms, although it would help to take an iron supplement. I'm no doctor, but I am Fibromyalgic and these are some of the symptoms of that.

I've been dealing with this for a long time and I don't want to be negative, but it is hard to deal/live with and information is one of your best friends. At least it would give you a direction to look in. I hope the best for you and hope your iron can be fixed easier than this other would be, but there's even hope there.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-11-2010 at 06:07 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Closed Thread

Tags
dizziness, low iron, low mood