It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Chronic fatigue and extreme thirst

Hi,
I've had chronic fatigue for 3 months about. I know my immune system is low.
I've also recently been diagnosed with hypoglycaemia and now on a no sugar diet.
The worst unexplained symptom is that I also have got constant and terrible thirst. I don't know what to do about it. I drink pints and pints of water and it only satisfies me for a short time - ie up to about 45 mins before I have to drink more. I'm not gulping it down, I'm sipping it. I make 3 drinks at a time to save me getting up in the middle of a tv program!
It really correlates with the fatigue also - the more thirsty I am the more tired I am, and I feel hot and achy. The thirst even wakes me at night...........
Any ideas or help please let me know - I feel so dehydrated yet I can't be.
Many thanks

Old 10-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Re: Chronic fatigue and extreme thirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesss View Post
Hi,
I've had chronic fatigue for 3 months about. I know my immune system is low.
I've also recently been diagnosed with hypoglycaemia and now on a no sugar diet.
The worst unexplained symptom is that I also have got constant and terrible thirst. I don't know what to do about it. I drink pints and pints of water and it only satisfies me for a short time - ie up to about 45 mins before I have to drink more. I'm not gulping it down, I'm sipping it. I make 3 drinks at a time to save me getting up in the middle of a tv program!
It really correlates with the fatigue also - the more thirsty I am the more tired I am, and I feel hot and achy. The thirst even wakes me at night...........
Any ideas or help please let me know - I feel so dehydrated yet I can't be.
Many thanks
Hi Tess,
I know that with diabetes it makes you very thirsty... I was tested but negative. I am gluten intolerant but only avoided Wheat starch & gluten until 5 months ago. I'm completely Gluten free since then. I read that if you are gluten intolerant it makes you extremely thirsty. Since I have been Gluten Free, I'm not drinking nearly as much. For a long time I was carrying around a gallon jug & drinking from it. My family thought I was nuts! lol But I was drinking atleast 1 1/2 gallons a day. Now I carry a 1 liter & sooo much better... Anyhow, that's what worked for me...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hey Themartinfarm,

Thanks for the reply. Your comment about carrying around so much water made me laugh - I am the same!!

I have been tested for diabetes and I don't have it - it turns out I have hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) which my doctor explained is the opposite.

I do avoid wheat now and have been tested for celiac disease, but it was negative. I do eat a lot of oats but these don't contain gluten I didn't think? I do avoid wheat, barley and rye because they all cause me problems. I don't know what else I eat that contains gluten but I will find out and avoid it - I've never excluded this. You also made me think about other intolerances - I avoid fruit due to a fructose intolerance and I know this increases my thirst. I am eating some fruit these days to try to have a healthier diet. That the thirst could be caused by gluten or something else in my diet isn't something I'd considered and I will investigate further.
Thanks very much.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Quote:
Hey Themartinfarm,

Thanks for the reply. Your comment about carrying around so much water made me laugh - I am the same!!

I have been tested for diabetes and I don't have it - it turns out I have hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) which my doctor explained is the opposite.

I do avoid wheat now and have been tested for celiac disease, but it was negative. I do eat a lot of oats but these don't contain gluten I didn't think? I do avoid wheat, barley and rye because they all cause me problems. I don't know what else I eat that contains gluten but I will find out and avoid it - I've never excluded this. You also made me think about other intolerances - I avoid fruit due to a fructose intolerance and I know this increases my thirst. I am eating some fruit these days to try to have a healthier diet. That the thirst could be caused by gluten or something else in my diet isn't something I'd considered and I will investigate further.
Thanks very much.
LOL you sound like me. When I went Gluten free I went Sugar Free, Corn Free & Milk free also. Then a week later I tried sugar, did fine. Corn makes me bloat... Milk gave me the same Gluten reaction... I stayed away from dairy for about 2 months, tried it again & have done fine. I'm still gluten free. It's my understanding that being Gluten Intolerant causes other food allergies because of the damage it does... I've been tested for Celiac & it was negative. But even the tiniest little bit of gluten will give me a reaction... Maybe there is something you are eating with Fructose or Gluten in it? Gluten is in everything it seems... Even Johnny Seasoning, Orange Sauce, ect. I use salt, pepper & Garlic as my main seasonings for everything...
Anyhow, let me know what you find
P.S.~
You know that food allergies are also a symptom of Chronic Fatigue & Fibro?

Tori

Old 11-01-2010, 05:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hey Tori,

Ok, so I'm going to exclude oats too and try gluten free - my friend who is a celiac says most oats affect her so she doesn't eat them. What you say makes a lot of sense - I think the chronic fatigue/immune dysfunction has made my body more sensitive to things it can normally deal with. In actual fact I did give up wheat in the past but it's crept back into my diet.

Interestingly, I saw my doctor this morning and he also mentioned food and cutting out gluten to see if it makes a difference. Maybe even the fructose intolerance is caused by the gluten...

Do you think you had your gluten intolerance all your life or do you think it's something that developed?

Thanks and best wishes
Tess

Old 11-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hey Tori,

Ok, so I'm going to exclude oats too and try gluten free - my friend who is a celiac says most oats affect her so she doesn't eat them. What you say makes a lot of sense - I think the chronic fatigue/immune dysfunction has made my body more sensitive to things it can normally deal with. In actual fact I did give up wheat in the past but it's crept back into my diet.

Interestingly, I saw my doctor this morning and he also mentioned food and cutting out gluten to see if it makes a difference. Maybe even the fructose intolerance is caused by the gluten...

Do you think you had your gluten intolerance all your life or do you think it's something that developed?

Thanks and best wishes
Tess
I'm not really sure. I think I may have had it...
As a baby I broke out in rashes from baby food, wheat in it. As I got older I didn't have the same reaction so my mom forgot about it. When I was a teen I started getting the rash again. Went off wheat & it disapeared. One day I eat Pringles, 5 of them... Got the worst stomach ache. So much pain. I avoided Wheat Starch & Gluten. Only eat bleached which didn't seam to make me react... I eat Sourdough & got the awful stomach ache, headache, ect. It was like having the worst flu for 2 days...
Anyhow, long story short. I did fine on bleached, nothing else. I've done that for years. Then earlier this year I developed IBS... I found that not eating gluten cured it... But, if you are gluten intolerant it does so much damage it causes you to be sensitive to other foods. I found that milk products did the same thing. Avacodos give me headaches... Corn bloats me... But I found this out by avoiding it all for 2 weeks, the caveman diet... Then introduced things once at a time. I avoided dairy for 2 months I believe, tried it & did fine. Makes my diet allot easier... Anyhow, I just thing gluten damages my system so plan on avoiding it long term...
If I were you I'd do the Caveman diet for 2 weeks, introduce foods & see what happends. Being free of them all for 2 months let me introduce it back into my diet. Just avoiding gluten now...

Old 11-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Thanks for all the info - that's really useful and interesting. I'm really glad that you've got your diet worked out. I do sound similar - I seem to be developing intolerances to everything and Im bloated so much- I'm definitely reacting to milk and milk products too. The other massive symptom I have is constipation - I've been constipated for a long time and recently it's been worse than I've ever had it. I've been doing what I can - walks, psyllium husks, etc etc and it's been better slowly, but still not great. I read that that's also a symptom.
I'm excited about this!

I'm looking into the caveman diet, sounds like a great plan.

I hope you are doing ok - I guess being on this board isn't a great sign. I've read a little of your posts, and hope the new dr really helps you. Best of luck

Tess

Old 11-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Thanks for all the info - that's really useful and interesting. I'm really glad that you've got your diet worked out. I do sound similar - I seem to be developing intolerances to everything and Im bloated so much- I'm definitely reacting to milk and milk products too. The other massive symptom I have is constipation - I've been constipated for a long time and recently it's been worse than I've ever had it. I've been doing what I can - walks, psyllium husks, etc etc and it's been better slowly, but still not great. I read that that's also a symptom.
I'm excited about this!

I'm looking into the caveman diet, sounds like a great plan.

I hope you are doing ok - I guess being on this board isn't a great sign. I've read a little of your posts, and hope the new dr really helps you. Best of luck

Tess
Hi Tess,
I've always had that problem also... Especially since the IBS is gone since not eating gluten... But before I had that reaction, always had constipation issues...
I have tried upping my fiber, drink plenty of water, psyllium, ect but none ever worked for me. I'd even take Magnesium & stool softners, nothing. But since going Gluten free I have been able to take Magnesium, stool softners, Milk of Magnesia, ect & it has all worked! I take 250mg of Magnsium each night. If I need it, 500mg.
Taking Magnisum daily has helped allot. But sometimes the milk of magnesia is needed. I'd say once or twice monthly.
Anyhow, having that issue has to be hard on our bodies... Toxic... But I do think going Gluten Free has helped me allot!
Oh, be careful with psyllium because it expands...Not to much & lots of water!

Thank You for your well wishes
I've had 12 yrs of not knowing what is wrong with me. No body understood how hard it's been. Dr's thought I was nuts. I've worked hard & trying to build a normal life. Unfortunetly keeping busy has worn me out. As time went on I because depressed, anxous, ect. My health has just went down hill. But now having a Dr listen & help, it's been a huge relief! My husband is more supportive now that he understand that something is actually wrong & not just me complaining. Well, I've never really complained. Just got grumpy because I'm so used to feeling awful, sore, tired, ect & having to keep it to myself. Actually resting has made my stress level down. I'm more patient with my family.
We all have long roads ahead of us... Just have to follow the right paths
What kind of Dr are you seeing? What is your diagnosis so far? What kind of recovery are they having you do? The reason I ask is because mine has me on 15 mins busy, 2 hrs rest, 15 mins busy, 2 hrs rest, ect. It's been difficult because I've spent the last 12 yrs pushing myself constantly... But my body just isn't listening to me these days... Rest has been hard to do.

Closed Thread