It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
(male)

cfs Jake HB User
Unhappy Chronic fatigue and sex

I was recently diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome though I've had symptoms for over three years. I have experienced a sharp drop in libido since my symptoms began, and also a loss of nighttime, involuntary erections. Is this "normal" with CFS? If so, what can be done? I've already been tested for hormones, which are normal, and been to a urologist, who also didn't find anything specific.

I've also considered the prospect that it is psychological, but doubt this. For one, the problem doesn't seem to reflect changes in mood at all and there have been no changes in my relationship since the illness. Also, it seems unlikely that involuntary erections would be affected if it was mood or anxiety related.

I wanted to ask others how this illness affects sex, and whether there are any remedies, strategies, tests, etc. they would recommend? Are there any sources for more information?

Many thanks!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Re: Chronic fatigue and sex

Wish I could help but having the same prob, only I'm female. My husband doesn't understand & acts like I choose this or something... It's always been difficult but the last year has been the worst. I've had CFS for 12 yrs but just recently diagnosed. Well, accept my Dr is leaning twords FM more... Anyhow, we had our 4th child last year & my health has become even worst since. So with not feeling well, hurting, & up until recently, I was always on the go. I've had to slow down the last few months & recently my Dr put me on a strict rest schedule. Anyhow, it's been very difficult on our relationship. But, since my diagnosis my husbands alittle more understanding... I was also put on Cymbalta recently which seems to effect me even more...
Anyhow, I'm with ya, maybe someone has some good advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
(female)

sugarandspice HB User

Many people with CFS have adrenal dysfunction, with low levels of testosterone and DHEA. Look up an article titled "male menopause & chronic fatigue syndrome" by John W. Addington, and you should find the information you're looking for. In my opinion, DHEA supplements would probably help your situation. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
(male)

CFIDS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandspice View Post
Many people with CFS have adrenal dysfunction, with low levels of testosterone and DHEA. Look up an article titled "male menopause & chronic fatigue syndrome" by John W. Addington, and you should find the information you're looking for. In my opinion, DHEA supplements would probably help your situation. Good luck!
Well adrenal dysfunction is for sure with CFIDS, but not necessarily the cause of course...I have had CFS for 5yrs and it the early part came at 30 and then I was 33 by the time the checked my hormones...way out of whack...I still have low DHEA and been supplementing for a year now! It has gone up some though. Testosterone also way low...gone up some too since I been doing some natural stuff, but the shots were not for me. My libido was not suffering badly until 3.5 to 4 yrs into my CFS...now it is lower but not near as low as it was this time last year.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
(male)

fjack1415 HB User
Smile Re: Chronic fatigue and sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfs Jake View Post
I was recently diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome though I've had symptoms for over three years. I have experienced a sharp drop in libido since my symptoms began, and also a loss of nighttime, involuntary erections. Is this "normal" with CFS? If so, what can be done? I've already been tested for hormones, which are normal, and been to a urologist, who also didn't find anything specific.

I've also considered the prospect that it is psychological, but doubt this. For one, the problem doesn't seem to reflect changes in mood at all and there have been no changes in my relationship since the illness. Also, it seems unlikely that involuntary erections would be affected if it was mood or anxiety related.

I wanted to ask others how this illness affects sex, and whether there are any remedies, strategies, tests, etc. they would recommend? Are there any sources for more information?

Many thanks!
CFS never really affected my sex drive. And interestingly, the only time I got completely well was thru a combination of restfull and sexually VERY active weekends and a regimen of rehydration (8 glasses of water per day). In two months I was in complete, I mean COMPLETE remission. Pity my employer was in the business of trying to get rid of me, and the stress from this resulted in a relapse.

Last edited by fjack1415; 01-03-2011 at 12:24 AM.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
(male)

fjack1415 HB User

I am sure my adrenals were pretty much stressed out before I got CFS. (In year four of my CFS diagnosed with adrenopathy). The only therapy I am aware of is with licorice root. Hard to get ahold of.

Closed Thread