It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
(female)

Sorenn HB User
Feeling this might be the answer to an unanswered question

Hi,

It's been about a year since the symptoms started, and for about a year no one can figure out what's wrong with me. I'm starting to lose hope that I'll ever feel normal again, so this is my last resort. I'm hoping someone can give me some suggestions of where to look and what to ask Doctors to look for, because I'm out of ideas.

For the best part of a year, I've been incredibly fatigued, lethargic, and tired to the point where it's an effort to have a shower, to get out of bed, to stand up at work for more than 15mins. I feel like I'm in the body of an old woman, where in reality I am only twenty. I can't stand up at work for more than 15-30mins before I feel like I'm going to faint or fall over. It's an effort to bend down, and to concentrate. Everything feels heavy and I feel slow physically and mentally. Sitting down, eating or drinking barely helps. I've tried caffeine, it works for about 15mins and then I drop again.

At the beginning of the year, I was experiencing a number of sleeping difficulties. At first, I had ongoing insomnia for months on end, and then it switched around and I ended up falling asleep in college, unable to stay awake in the day, sleeping 14 hours and waking up tired or with migraines. I began taking caffeine pills 1 or 2 day for a week or 2, but that barely dented my fatigue and tiredness.

I have also been experiencing hives on and off irregularly for that year, with no apparent allergic catalyst. Each time the hives flare up, there is nothing in common with the circumstances.

I've had my blood tested, the only abnormality was a slightly low B12 count, which I took B12 for, for about 6 months. That helped with the sleeping, but not with the fatigue, lethargy and fainting. I have been tested for Epstein-Barr, which was negative. My blood count is fine, so are my nutrient levels. My ANA came back slightly elevated, but not enough to cause symptoms.

I've had a very stressful 2 years, however I am taking escitalopram 20mg for anxiety. I have been taking it for about a year or more, long before symptoms began. Even now, after the year has ended and the stress is gone, I am still without relief. I can't exercise because I simply do not have the energy.

I am not a vegan or vegetarian, I have a diet full of meats, proteins, vegetables, fruits and whatever else you can think of. I have not been exposed to any areas that are home to exotic parasites, viruses or bacteria. I am not depressed.

Someone on the General Health forum suggested that I should look into this forum, so I've reposted my story here in the hope that someone can help me find some answers.

-Som

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Sorenn
melody1 (01-17-2011), thom27 (02-04-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
(female)

SaffyTaffy HB User
Re: Feeling this might be the answer to an unanswered question

Has anyone checked your thyroid? TSH, Free T4, Free T3 (NOT Total T4 and T3) levels and done other tests on it? If so and they came back normal, find out what their "normal" was in terms of numbers as well as reference ranges. If you haven't had it checked out, I would ask to have it checked. You may want to go over to the Thyroid Forum and post over there what you have been experiencing, they are really helpful over there I have found. I know that hypothyroidism can mimic the same symptoms to the symptoms you described.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
(male)

thom27 HB User

I'm so sorry... you sound just like me. I woke up one day, had a bad headache, muscles started twitching a lot, I ignored it. Went on for 4 days, and by the 5th, I woke up with severe brain fog. It's been awful ever since. Been a full year now, too.

Were your folate levels checked? Also, I would recommend what Saffy said as well. TSH, Ft3 and Ft4.

I wish I could help you, I honestly do. I know how awful it feels, and to go this long without proper diagnosis and suffer every day. You're definitely not alone.

Hang in there. It's VERY tough I know, but with any luck it'll get better soon.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

What was your ANA titer? I know you have fatigue daily, that's obvious, but do you have flares, by that I mean, where the fatigue gets so bad, you can't even drag yourself out of bed? Kind of like god it's so bad, I wished I was dead kind of fatigue. If you do, make yourself get up, go to the doctor, and then have your ANA checked. An ANA can go up higher in the course of a flare. If your anything like me, your pretty much sick daily, so a flare isn't always easy to catch, but what is already horrible can still get a thousand times worse. My ANA titer pretty much stays the same, it went from 1:320 and many years later 1:640. If it's positive, it's not something you want to blow off as nothing, I don't care what your doctors tell you. When you are first beginning an autoimmune disease, the only symptom you may have is fatigue.

I was told in the beginning I had an autoimmune disease and chronic fatigue syndrome. But I ended up going to another doctor that diagnosed fibromyalgia. So the entire time since the year of 1996 or 97, I have lived with a diagnose of an illness that cannot be proved, have been so unbelievably dysfunctional and fatigued, and have cried and screemed to my doctor over it, and not one day going by not wondering what in the world was really wrong with me. Was it something or am I just plegged with something that has no answer. I could not accept the CFS and fibro as my diagnosis. I did not find out for sure I had the autoimmune disease until last year. It never did leave my mind in the beginning when I first was told I had autoimmune dysfuntion and would be sick the rest of my life. That came to be very much true. So don't dismiss that ANA as nothing, cause it could very much indead mean something.

Epstein bar, I have that, it likely isn't going to cause you problems unless you have chronic activations of the virus. I've had low B-12 and vit d, didn't help my energy getting those back to normal. I've had hives since I was a little kid, I haven't always had fatigue. Your doctors can do a number of blood tests to check for causes of fatigue. Maybe they have, I don't know, if the only thing apparent is a positive ANA, that needs to be kept an eye on. Keep the obvious in mind. That kind of fatigue does not occur without a good cause. I don't know how you keep from feeling depressed. I know how bad fatigue drags you down. I wish I could have a positive additude with this, not that it would help my energy, but it would make life a little easier to tolerate. I've had it so long, I just can't stand it anymore.

Last edited by neveragain444; 02-12-2011 at 07:56 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to neveragain444:
thom27 (02-12-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
(male)

wigs123 HB Userwigs123 HB User

Sorry to hear what your going through this. I have chronic fatique syndrome and have a lot of those symptoms. I just posted things that have helped me. If you click on Find more posts by wigs123 and read Things that helped me with CFS hopefully something in there will help you.

Closed Thread