It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
(male)

d3r3k HB User
I need help with finding a cure.

Hello everyone, I'm coming on here in hopes of maybe finding someone with similar problems who have maybe found a cure for the same problem as I have. I'm a 23 year old Male, and ever since 16 I've suffered from fatigue. I can sleep 12 hrs, wake up for about an hr, go take a nap for 3 hrs wake up and still be tired. I also suffer mood swings some days, and just don't want to be bothered by people, and have no ambition to do anything, I just keep pushing things off. Also, I have pretty bad memory, as an example many times I'll tell my girlfriend something, then 10 minutes later repeat it and totally forget I ever told her.
I've told my doctor about this problem and have been trying to figure it out for a long time. I have tried anti depressants; Zoloft, effexor, and 2 others which I forgot the names of. Also tried Provigil, Am currently on week 3 of C-PAP treatment, and still the same. It's very frustrating and upsetting because I was really hoping the CPAP would be my solution as I know a few people who used it and said days in they felt much better. I'm loosing hope in finding a cure, and this makes quality of life terrible. I do work a very physical job as a mason laborer, and enjoy going to the gym. Other than that its hard to pull myself out of bed.

Thanks in advance for any possible leads.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: I need help with finding a cure.

I'm no expert on this subject but I don't think drugs will be helpful and might even make things worse.

Being a mason laborer, you undoubtedly expend a lot of energy. Therefore, you need a super good diet to supply energy. What's your diet like? I hope you don't smoke, drink alcohol or eat fast food. I would recommend a diet of natural whole foods like fresh fruit, vegetables and whole grains. (Pizza and beer is not a meal. :-))

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
d3r3k (07-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
(male)

d3r3k HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
I'm no expert on this subject but I don't think drugs will be helpful and might even make things worse.

Being a mason laborer, you undoubtedly expend a lot of energy. Therefore, you need a super good diet to supply energy. What's your diet like? I hope you don't smoke, drink alcohol or eat fast food. I would recommend a diet of natural whole foods like fresh fruit, vegetables and whole grains. (Pizza and beer is not a meal. :-))

Im pretty sure it isnt the diet.... I actually go to the gym as well and am decently muscular. I eat alot of chicken, brown rice, Protein bars and shakes.... I just started as a laborer, but have had this problem for years, My last job was an 1hr 20min drive and many times I fell asleep at the wheel. Thankfully I dont have to deal with that anymore. Smoke I dont, eat fast food once in a while, not much, and drinking only when I go out to clubs or parties.... MAYBE 6 times a year if that.

I used to be a pretty fat kid up until I hit 16-17 Where I started to get serious about the gym and dieting.... This weekend I slept once again for my usual 11-12hr overnight plus a 4 hr day nap! Makes me miserable knowing my life is going down the drain sleeping, instead of enjoying the little time I have off from work.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3r3k View Post
This weekend I slept once again for my usual 11-12hr overnight plus a 4 hr day nap!
Okay, we ruled out a bunch of stuff. Let's try something else. Have you ever heard of "sleep apnea"? There are several symptoms, one of which is abnormal daytime sleepiness. One would think a person would know if they had this disorder, but as a rule they don't.

It usually starts with heavy snoring, then there's a long silent period with no breathing, and finally there's a loud snort and gasp. The snoring begins again and the whole cycle repeats hundreds of times per night. The problem is you never get the deep sleep you need to feel rested and refreshed.

Has anyone noticed that you snore loudly? That's the biggest clue.

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-20-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: rephrase

Old 07-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
(male)

d3r3k HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Okay, we ruled out a bunch of stuff. Let's try something else. Have you ever heard of "sleep apnea"? There are several symptoms, one of which is abnormal daytime sleepiness. One would think a person would know if they had this disorder, but as a rule they don't.

It usually starts with heavy snoring, then there's a long silent period with no breathing, and finally there's a loud snort and gasp. The snoring begins again and the whole cycle repeats hundreds of times per night. The problem is you never get the deep sleep you need to feel rested and refreshed.

Has anyone noticed that you snore loudly? That's the biggest clue.

Yeah, In the original post I posted Im on week 3... which is now 4 or 5 of CPAP treatment for sleep apnea. Ive experienced alot of loud snoring, Talking, twitching (not RLS), Sleep Paralysis along with crazy dreams of being choked by demons..... Sleep studys are a joke, I was awake for a decent part of the study, yet the sleep tech told me I slept like a rock. I no longer snore according to my girlfriend with the Machine on but still am always Tired. , I was really hoping the CPAP was going to be my cure, I know quite a few people with Sleep apnea who have been cured over days with CPAP treatment, but no luck yet.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Yeah, In the original post I posted Im on week 3... which is now 4 or 5 of CPAP treatment for sleep apnea.
Sorry, I didn't recognize CPAP as sleep apnea.

Quote:
Ive experienced alot of loud snoring, Talking, twitching (not RLS), Sleep Paralysis along with crazy dreams of being choked by demons.....
Could some of the above, like talking, be caused by stress? Do you feel as though you have a lot of stress in your life? Stress at work or something else? I slept more when I was in high school....couldn't function with less than 9 hours at night and a one hour nap. Now, decades later, I sleep about 2 hours less because I live a relatively stress-free life.

CFS is said to be "a complex disorder with a combination of symptoms of unknown cause". It mimics hepatitis, fibromyalgia, lupus, etc.. So you can only get a diagnosis after all these other similar disorders have been ruled out. The three disorders I just mentioned all involve fatigue but the other symptoms don't seem to fit.

There's a woman in my community who has been diagnosed with CFS and she can't even walk one block. You have a labor intensive job and work out at the gym. What does that mean? I'm not sure. Maybe it means you don't have CFS.

I'll be thinking about it and I'll let you know if I get any other ideas.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
(male)

d3r3k HB User

Thank you for your replies and help . I do have a bit of grey hair for 23 yrs old lol. I'm naturally a very high strung person and get stressed and aggravated very easily. I wouldn't be surprised if that is indeed a major culprit of my sleep talking and twitching. However I dont know if I could ever be stress free, no idea on how to go about it . It's unfortunate to live with such a stupid problem such as mine and not find anything I try to be helping.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
It's unfortunate to live with such a stupid problem such as mine and not find anything I try to be helping.
Hi again, I did some quick research and found out some very interesting things. CFS is caused by a common virus that almost everyone has by age 30 to 35. However, in most people the virus stays dormant, at least until something like stress, poor diet or illness brings it out. For some people it may reveal itself for a short time and then go into remission. But you could have a very serious long term flairup and still put it in remission. That's the best we can do; we all (at least 95% of us) must live with this virus for life.

It's known as the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). It can cause mononucleosis (mono), CFS and other disorders. It's in the herpes family of viruses and can even cause 2 rare forms of cancer.

What's a little confusing is the fact that you may have had sleep apnea (SA) and we tend to think it has to be one or the other. But it can be both. Let's say you had sleep apnea at one time and then started working out and losing weight. You may have cured the sleep apnea by losing weight. But the fact that you had it may have brought out the virus that had been dormant. Or, maybe you never had sleep apnea. Maybe you're just a loud snorer.

Anyway, I think there's a good chance you do have CFS caused by (EBV). I read a story of a man who had to sleep about 16 hours and another who had to sleep 20 hours. The symptoms can be different with each person because everyone has a different health status. No two people live exactly the same lifestyle, nor do they have the same immune system.

What you need to do to put it in remission is boost your imune system and this can be done through diet, exercise and stress reduction. You already exercise and have a pretty good diet so that's a good start. Just be sure that you don't overdo the exercise; pushing too hard can be counterproductive/stressful.

As far as diet goes, it would be a big help to eliminate processed foods. That covers almost everything except extra virgin olive oil and bread made from sprouts. Those two are okay. Eliminate all baked goods made with flour. That covers a lot. Eliminate fried foods and red meat. Protein bars and shakes are out too. Sorry! Eat only small portions of lean meat (3 to 4 ounces).

Essentially, you need to eat a diet of natural whole foods like fresh non-sweet fruit, fresh vegetables, legumes, raw nuts and seeds, steel cut oats, whole grain rice etc.. (But no fruit juice or dried fruit.) The more raw vegetables the better, so try to eat a large salad every day. Use tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, dark leafy greens etc.. And use extra virgin olive oil and fresh lemon juice as a dressing.

For stress control: Try meditation. Just find a quiet place to sit where you won't be disturbed. Get comfortable, close your eyes but don't sleep. Then just concentrate on your breathing. To start, just 5 or 10 minutes per day is enough. Then see if you can work your way up to 20 or 30 minutes.

I never found out what your medication is for. If you're taking something for high blood pressure you better keep taking it. But if there's something you don't need, try to cut back on it.

If you need more information about the diet, let me know. But I think if you stick to the basics I put forth above, you should do fine. If I think of anything else I'll post again. I'd like to find out if all of this really works, so keep me posted on how you're doing if you decide to do it.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
(female)

kokopelli70 HB User

I had to respond because my issue with dealing with CFS is so similar - in that for most of my adult life, I've been a gym goer, eat healthy (similar to what you listed), occasionally use a juicer, etc. and play sports. Some could ask how could either of us have CFS if we are active?

The thing of it is, at least for me and I'm guessing for you, is that we do these things because it is healthy and we get enjoyment out of it even though most of the time we're exhausted just pushing through. I know I get caught up in getting caffeine in my system just before a workout or playing a sport because I'm so tired but want to play/work out. And this is after getting a good night's sleep and working a normal day (or getting a power nap beforehand). Sometimes taking a shower or doing a load of laundry is just too much so things build up around the house. Most days I just get through it and never wake feeling refreshed even if I've gotten 8-9 hours. I've tried 6 hours for extended periods of times and that makes me feel even worse.

In two weeks, I am going to try this Meyers cocktail (see a thread I started on that) with hopes it may work. One other thing I haven't yet tried is accupuncture. I saw a well known accupuncturist who said I should be tested for chronic mono and if tested positive, getting accupuncture could help tremendously. The problem is, most health insurances don't cover it and it's pretty expensive so I have to put that on hold.

All I can say is good luck and don't give up hope!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelli70 View Post
I know I get caught up in getting caffeine in my system just before a workout or playing a sport because I'm so tired but want to play/work out.
I'm glad you brought up the subject of caffeine. In responding to d3r3k I knew I would forget to mention a lot of food items that are counterproductive. Coffee is very bad for your system because it's highly acidic. It also raises cortisol levels with the effect of speeding up the aging process. This is a common habit among sports enthusiasts; they use it because it works, but it's very detrimental to one's health. Drinking plain water is best.

As long as I'm on this subject, I might as well mention another food category that is a big promoter of acidity in the body. What have most athletes been told over and over again? They have been told they need a lot of protein to build and maintain muscle. So they load up on animal protein of all kinds like meat, eggs and protein shakes. Like coffee, they think it's going to be the magic that gives them a leg up. But animal protein, like coffee, can cause overacidity.

This should not be confused with tomatoes and lemons. Tomatoes and lemons will test acid in the laboratory but will be metabolized as alkaline in the body. That's why I recommend making a salad with tomatoes, fresh lemon juice etc.. And cucumbers are very alkalizing too!

Sugar is another item that can lead to overacidity. So avoid it and any food item that contains added sugar.

For more information on this subject there are some good books: The one I have is, "The pH Miracle".

Good luck to you and thanks for adding to the conversation here.

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-26-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added information on sugar /punctuation

Old 07-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
(male)

d3r3k HB User

Thanks John and Koko, I am going to try to incorporate a veggie filled shake or 2 a day, anyone have a good recipe? Its going to be hard to drop the protein honestly. I try to gain alot of weight and strength at the gym, and without the shakes and pre workout I feel weaker. I'm trying to find myself a part time Weekend job, I find it when I have nothing to do is when I'm hopeless and all fails. If I have stuff to do, I can manage to stay awake, but I need to keep moving around.... This Saturday into Sunday I slept from 11pm to 330pm Sunday!!!! The weather was crappy so that didn't help, then slept my usual 930pm to 5am monday and left for work, hit the gym, and tanned....right now Im okay, but could sleep if I layed down.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
(female)

sharonzivi HB User

go read sharonzivi...it's regarding my son and the fibromyalgia fatigue center...They are wonderful...only people that can help.

Closed Thread