It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
(male)

Dave56789 HB User
Insomnia with CFS?

I've never been diagnosed with CFS, but suspect I may have it. All tests have come back normal. I did have a question for those who suffer from CFS. Do you have insomnia? I do quite a bit. Seems contradictory that during the day, I feel so exhausted, but when I finally lie down, I have trouble sleeping. Is this at all normal?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
(male)

wigs123 HB Userwigs123 HB User
Re: Insomnia with CFS?

Yes, it's normal. I went from sleeping 10-12 hours a night to 4 hours at the most. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
wigs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
(female)

Aberlaine9 HB User

I'm finding that, no matter what meds I take to help me sleep, I only get about four solid hours of sleep. I've also developed some new CFS symptoms: light headache, dry spot in my mouth that makes me cough.

I'm going in August to see if I have Lyme Diseases. Seems like all of these illnesses are brothers and sisters: fibromyalgia, Lyme Disease, CFS and others.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:04 AM   #4
(female)

callianne HB User

I too have insomnia, and like you say it does seem a contradiction, to feel so exhausted, and yet can't sleep. I couldn't have anything to help me sleep due to medication i am on, but it has gotten so bad, i have made appt. to see my GP. Maybe she can change something. Ther must be something that can help us, have a better quality of life!

Old 09-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
(male)

Vince50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigs123 View Post
Yes, it's normal. I went from sleeping 10-12 hours a night to 4 hours at the most. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
wigs
I also sleep 12 or more hours a day and would love to sleep only 4 or 5 hours a nite. May I ask what the secret is? -)

Vince

Old 09-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Yes it is actually quite common. One thing to consider is the possibility of sleep apnea causing both the insomnia and daytime fatigue. This is extremely common, especially in men. When you sleep, you stop breathing for short periods, sometimes many times a night, and this makes you feel like you aren't sleeping or getting restful sleep and leaves you tired all day. You are actually waking up to start breathing again, without realizing it, so never reach REM or the deeper stages of sleep. It can be diagnosed by a sleep study and treated. Treatment depends on the severity. I would research that if you're not familiar with it and see if the description fits you. Also, if you sleep with someone else, ask them if they notice you snoring, gasping, choking, or just not breathing at times in the night.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
(female)

mare50 HB User

I have CFS and Fibromyalgia and yes, I have bouts of insomnia. I also am dog-tired during the day and yet cannot fall to sleep at night, and I don't take any naps. I usually take TylenolPM (actually the store brand:acetamenophenPM) only half a table every night about an hour before I want to go to bed. It works great for me. A whole pill is too strong for me and makes me too groggy in the morning. Hope this helps you, too. There are other things out there like melatonin which is a natural substance...etc., but I haven't used that because I figure only half a tablet of PM won't be harmful. Have you ever been diagnosed with Fibro?

Reply Reply