It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
(male)

LiveMike78 HB User
First post - I'm terrified that I'm falling into the CFS/CEBV pit :(

Guys I know there are a lot of people on here dealing with this issue, but I just can't believe what has happened to me over the past 7 months. I am a guy who was in the best shape of my life at age 32 - I worked out every single day with weights, I had a great body, I ate relatively well (lifting weights allows you to eat some fatty foods b/c you burn it off so easily), etc.

Now I'm entering my 8th month out of the gym and I still have the mild vertigo like symptoms, I still have "bad days" where I'm exhausted by 11AM, and I still cannot even think about doing any physical activity

I miss the gym and my old lifestyle so much. I'm single and I don't even have the interest or energy in meeting new girls or dating - for 10 years that has been my single biggest joy in life (aside from working out).

I've been casually reading Mono and EBV sites/forums so I have been doing everything right (juicing carrots, beets, taking every vitamin recommended). This is my first ever post anywhere though, because I'm finally starting to think that I'm not going to kick this thing on my own.

I have a great job that's relatively easy in that I'm in field sales and can get bye with solid 4-5 hour days (thank God for that).

I have insurance and am starting to think about seeking out additional help aside from my PCP (nice guy who buys into EBV but also a huge Christian who doesn't really seem to buy into aggressive medical treatment like the Valtrex option I read about... or maybe I'm misunderstanding what he might be doing for me).

Does anybody have any encouragement or words of advice on what kind of doctor to seek out? Am I doing anything wrong? I'm so scared that my life as I knew it is over. Is there a 90% chance that I'll never be able to aggressively lift weights again? Or play football? Or get drunk with my buddies while we watch a big game? I'm so damn sad I hate this new life.

Last edited by LiveMike78; 10-30-2011 at 07:35 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to LiveMike78:
melody1 (10-31-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
(female)

melody1 HB User
Re: First post - I'm terrified that I'm falling into the CFS/CEBV pit :(

I first checked with Dr. T at CFS, maybe they can refer a physician in your area. Call doctors or the referral center for doctors educated in CFS. I first think you need a doctor that understands CFS, it doesn't cure itself in fact there is no real cure . Some have used Nuvigil for energy . I know I took valtrex at the beginning,. 30 years ago. I know that I am going to try Nuvigil. The best of luck to you and hope you find a GOOD DOCTOR that will work with you.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
(female)

sleepytee HB Usersleepytee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMike78 View Post
Guys I know there are a lot of people on here dealing with this issue, but I just can't believe what has happened to me over the past 7 months. I am a guy who was in the best shape of my life at age 32 - I worked out every single day with weights, I had a great body, I ate relatively well (lifting weights allows you to eat some fatty foods b/c you burn it off so easily), etc.

Now I'm entering my 8th month out of the gym and I still have the mild vertigo like symptoms, I still have "bad days" where I'm exhausted by 11AM, and I still cannot even think about doing any physical activity

I miss the gym and my old lifestyle so much. I'm single and I don't even have the interest or energy in meeting new girls or dating - for 10 years that has been my single biggest joy in life (aside from working out).

I've been casually reading Mono and EBV sites/forums so I have been doing everything right (juicing carrots, beets, taking every vitamin recommended). This is my first ever post anywhere though, because I'm finally starting to think that I'm not going to kick this thing on my own.

I have a great job that's relatively easy in that I'm in field sales and can get bye with solid 4-5 hour days (thank God for that).

I have insurance and am starting to think about seeking out additional help aside from my PCP (nice guy who buys into EBV but also a huge Christian who doesn't really seem to buy into aggressive medical treatment like the Valtrex option I read about... or maybe I'm misunderstanding what he might be doing for me).

Does anybody have any encouragement or words of advice on what kind of doctor to seek out? Am I doing anything wrong? I'm so scared that my life as I knew it is over. Is there a 90% chance that I'll never be able to aggressively lift weights again? Or play football? Or get drunk with my buddies while we watch a big game? I'm so damn sad I hate this new life.
Wow. I feel so bad for you. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. You appear to be very intelligent. Take this on like a school project. In your limited time being awake and thinking, do your research. My initial thoughts: Juicing. If you are hypoglycemic you must eat some protein with your starches/sugars. If I start out my day with a bananna...it kills the whole day. But....a 1/2 of a bananna and a handful of nuts....I'm fine. The blood sugar spikes are hard to come back from. Look for a Lyme,( LLMD lyme literate doc) in your area.

Until you figure it out, get a doc to write a RX for your symptoms. Even ritilin helps with the brain fog. Or Nuvigil (provigil) Good Luck!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
(female)

melody1 HB User

Hi Mike, you are too young to give up . I have had CFS for over 35 years and I am not very brave. I could not even tell you how many doctors or drugs I have tried. There is a person on board that has tried and it is working for her - Nuvigil-. As soon as I am out of hospital (scoliosis and osteoporosis) and am I tired but the pain is making me go for the surgery and rods and metal and cement because of the pain and I still have things to do although I have had to change my life very much. Keep searching and asking and trying and forget things you want to do and find other joys for you.Volunteer where your skills or likes would be. You might be surprised to find other happy days ahead of you.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
(male)

Brodie179 HB User

Mike, your story is very similar to mine. I just turned 35, and came down with CFS a little over 5 months ago. Started with a virus, and now feels exactly like when I had mono a few years ago. I put my gym membership on hold last week, which was a HUGE downer, because it was like admitting to myself that this problem is not going away any time soon.

Anyway, I'm just finishing Dr. Teitelbaum's book and I started his recommended regimen of supplements last week. According to the book, I won't know for at least 3 or 4 months if it's even working. This could be just a very expensive experiment but, what am I going to do, not try anything? I also bought some vitamin B12 self-administering shots over the internet, which a lot of people seem to swear by. This weekend, I get to figure out how to give myself a shot in the ***...like I'm Barry Bonds or something.

Like you, I'm trying to find a doctor besides by PCP who knows something about CFS and how to treat it.

I'll let you know if anything works for me. Good luck.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
(male)

Brodie179 HB User

Mike, your story is very similar to mine. I just turned 35, and came down with CFS a little over 5 months ago. Started with a virus, and now feels similar to when I had mono a few years ago--except more ups and downs from day to day. I put my gym membership on hold last week, which was a HUGE downer, because it was like admitting to myself that this problem is not going away any time soon.

Anyway, I'm just finishing Dr. Teitelbaum's book and I started his recommended regimen of supplements last week. According to the book, I won't know for at least 3 or 4 months if it's even working. This could be just a very expensive experiment but, what am I going to do, not try anything? I also bought some vitamin B12 self-administering shots over the internet, which a lot of people swear by. This weekend, I get to figure out how to give myself a shot in the ***...like I'm Barry Bonds or something.

Like you, I'm trying to find a doctor, other than my PCP, who knows something about CFS and how to treat it.

I'll let you know if anything works for me. Good luck.

The following user gives a hug of support to Brodie179:
melody1 (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
(female)

melody1 HB User

Hi Brodie, You are off to a good start, that is exactly how I started - chronic mono. But this was over 35 years ago and CFS wasn't even known - we were just lazy! I started with dr. T and the buyers club and I still get my vitamins etc. from the club. I have taken B12 shots but I take sublingul B 12 now plus a B complex and many more vitamins I found my doctor because he was training with the Cleveland Clinic when it was first coming out that not all of us are lazy and it is certainly not a lazy feeling. I have also been taking an extra amount of vitamin C and the pneumonia shot and I have'nt had a cold or sore throat for over 5 years, I also do not take the flu vaccine. Good luck, maybe find a doctor through a referral system. Here in Ohio, I have seen a few doctors listed under CFS/fibormyalga.

Closed Thread